“Celtic Fare”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We first found this restaurant a couple of years ago while looking for a good lunch spot in Milwaukee. It does not look like much from the outside but it is a nice, well decorated, clean and pleasant restaurant.

Our second visit we were looking for dinner. We were a party of three and we had Sheperds Pie, corned beef sandwich and grilled walleye. All very good, we liked it all.

Service was good, well done.

We were seated on the outside patio with an unusually good night of Milwaukee weather. It was a little warm but it just makes the beer taste better. We were lucky enough to have live traditional Irish music.

If we are back in Milwaukee we will make a point of going back.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Fish and chips at Brocach are delicious. At least 3 out of 4 times it was my favorite in the city. One time it was off... maybe just a bad night in the kitchen.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

When we first visited Brocach, I was stunned by the transformation it had made from the old Five and Ten tap of my youth. Gone was the small grill next to the bar and old Schlitz and Pabst signs that dominated the decor. Instead was a charming Irish Pub featuring all the beauriful woodwork and stunning views across the Milwaukee River. The beer selection was fantastic, Guinness, Smithwicks, Harp, Lakefront, plus the blah Miller products. A generous choice of fine Irish Whiskeys, and a great mix of both traditional Irish Foods (Shepards Pie, Bangers, Corned Beef) and Pub foods (Burgers, Pretzels with Dip, and fries). Service is excellent, the food well proportioned and full of flavor. In Summer head out to their huge upstairs patio for drinks, meals and free movie nights. Slainte'!!!!!!

Reviewed April 30, 2012

I had a milestone birthday party at this bar. There is no fee to reserve the upstairs bar and outside patios. There is no minimum purchase for food and beverage on a Saturday, which is what day my party was. The entire planning process went smoothly. My main fear was that nobody would know what was going on when we got there, since the guy I set the party up with was not going to be there that night. As soon as my boyfriend and I walked in the door the night of my party, the hostess knew exactly who to direct us to when we addressed who we were. You could tell that she was expecting us. At that point, I felt like we were going to be taken care of, and boy, were we!

I was immediately introduced to the event coordinator, Sandy. At the time, I did not realize that I had made my party plans with one of the owners of the bar. I thought he was the event coordinator. So, that was interesting! The owner kept his entire staff in the loop our entire process, so that when I walked in, everybody was aware of what to do while the owner was not there. It was amazing. They had a sign already on the landing of the stairs that indicated that there was a private party being held there.

Because of the amount I was spending on food, and the amount of people that were coming to my party, I was allowed to bring in a cake (mine was actually individual ice cream cake portions designed to look like wrapped presents - review about that separately) without a cutting fee. There was space in the freezer for me to store the ice cream until it was ready to be served. This place does cater to people with food allergies. Most of the food I ordered was allergen friendly, but some of it was not. I had several guests that have food allergies, as well as myself, and I was allowed to bring in extra chips/snacks for the tables so that everyone could munch on something. They also had a special drink featured as my birthday drink for the night that was based on my favorite alcohol, and had drink specials after 10pm.

The buffet of appetizers I ordered was spread on a table that looked fantastic! They labeled all the food on little cards with an indication if the item was gluten free! They put the individual portions of ice cream on a platter (rather than keeping it in the box it came in), and put the candles on it, so it would look nice when it came out... The event coordinator seemed to know exactly when to bring out food, and how much to bring out. She checked in with me often to make sure everything was ok, and asked if I needed anything. She anticipated all my needs, but checked with me first before bringing things out. She always had a smile on her face, and was happy to be there.

The bartender, Chip, greeted us as soon as we walked upstairs, and was friendly and approachable the entire night. You could feel that he enjoyed being there. My party started at 7pm, and went until bar time. Not one time was there ever a negative anything coming from him. He treated us as if we were all his good friends, but yet was professional at the same time. I had a playlist of music on my iPod, and he played it the entire party. He actually said that he liked all the music (except the couple of country songs on it - hey, I tried to please every taste!). I thought that was cool coming from a bartender who typically controls the music otherwise.

The whole night had a chill vibe, yet it was fun and upbeat. It was like my friends were working the event, and everybody just seemed to have the best time. Everyone raved about the food and dessert (again, dessert has a separate review) and the music, and just everything about it. People that typically don't drink were doing shots 1/2 the night!

Because I had such an array of different friends who did not know each other, I thought it would be fun to have name tags and have that person also put down how they know me. It turned out to be such a great mixer idea because almost everybody made up something funny (and mostly inappropriate). Towards the end of the night, the event coordinator and bartender put name tags, too. All in great fun!

The customer service that was provided was impeccable. Every establishment should be like that! But then again, that's what made this place so special.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

We just returned from yet another wonderful trip to Brocach on Water Street. So many pubs serve food and it is often nothing special. This beautiful Irish pub has wonderful food, many different beers and enough ambiance to let you think you just might be in Ireland.
During this vist we ordered the Ploughman's Plate as an appetizer for two-it was bountiful to say the least. We were given a platter covered in cheeses, 3 kinds of delicious sausage, brown bread, cornichons, pickled onions and screaming hot Colman's Mustard. We should not have eaten all of it, knowing that dinner was on its way, but everything was so good..... And then came dinner. We ordered Bangers and Mash and the Irish Stout Steak. Bangers are sausages, thick, juicy sausages, 3 large ones stacked on a mound of potatoes, covered with shreds of crunchy onions and apple sauce on the side-just perfection, yum! My husband ordered the Stout Steak, so delicious, comes with mashed potatoes and a generous serving of crimini mushrooms in a heavenly Guinness-based sauce with bleu cheese butter. Just a lovely meal all around. Service was fast and very cheerful even thought the place was quite busy. When the weather finally warms up they have a large outdoor seating area. Oh, and a host of activities, trivia nights, Irish music nights, etc. etc. Well worth a visit.