“Excellent Airport Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Airport Hotel”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

In my experince, airport hotels can be a bit abused considering people typically stay one night, wither on the night they arrive or the night they depart. For this reason I usually avoid them. We decided to take our bikes to Milwaukee for the weekend and were looking for location not too far from downtown. This location came up. I was hesitant but it met my criteria of location and price. I have to say that I was more than pleasantly surprised! The staff was very friendly, the property was very clean and well mainted. It had a large outdoor patio with a fire pit in the middle. It was early October so the weather was still pleasant to have breakfast outside. The only downside was that since smoking was not allowed inside, this was the designated smoking area. I was not very pleased to be inhaling cigarette smoke while I was enjoying my breakfast. Management needs to enforce a no smoking when people are eating outside policy. My husband is a Hilton Honors Diamond member so he travels for business very often and we travel together on the weekends often. We have been to many HGI's but this one surpassed expectations. The breakfast usually has the same offerings from HGI to HGI but once in a while we run into one that offers some little extras. This one had THE BEST chocolate, chocolate chip muffins. They were very chocolaty tasting and so moist. They were better than I have had at some bakerys. Complimentary coffee was available most of the day and that goes a long way with me. We will not hesitate to stay at this hotel again next time we are in Milwaukee.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
HGIMilwaukeeAirport, Tourism Ambassador at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Airport, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear dalcard,
Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers and for providing us with such helpful feedback about your visit! We appreciate that you chose our hotel among the many in Milwaukee and are thrilled to see we exceeded your expectations. It's great to hear you were able to relax and enjoy the nice fall weather on our patio, though I would like to apologize for the disruption of your breakfast. Although our lobby, restaurant, and guestrooms are non-smoking we have several designated outdoor smoking areas. Thank you for your suggestion to make the patio non-smoking while guests are dining there; I'll be sure to share your thoughts with our management team. We are glad little details like tasty muffins and complimentary coffee made your stay a great one and hope you find even more to love during your next visit!

Thank you again for your feedback as it is the best way for us to improve our hotel for all of our guests. We are excited to be your first choice in Milwaukee and look forward to seeing you and your husband again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This was my first business trip out of the state of North Carolina and the Hilton made me feel right at home.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Smurph82,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your first out of state business trip! We are so glad to see you enjoyed your visit and hope you had plenty of time to relax and enjoy our hotel in addition to work. We are proud to offer some great amenities to business travelers such as complimentary internet and 24 hour business and fitness centers; hopefully you were able to take advantage of these during your visit. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again the next time you're in the Milwaukee area!
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I have stayed here twice the night before flying out of Mitchell International Airport. The building is a standard Hilton Garden Inn, but I have to say I was surprised at how quiet it was. I barely heard any airplanes, although I could see them flying directly overhead.

The shuttle to the airport was great. The drivers were friendly and were always on time when taking me to the airport. I parked in their lot. It is a 2-3 minute drive from the hotel to the terminal.

This is a great choice near the airport and I will be staying again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank BuckyBadger123
HGIMilwaukeeAirport, Tourism Ambassador at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Airport, responded to this review, October 22, 2011
Dear BuckyBadger123,
Thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share with other travelers! It's great to hear you enjoyed a quiet stay and took advantage of our complimentary shuttle. We appreciate your loyalty and can't wait to see you again before your next trip!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 20, 2011

This is a newer Hilton Garden Inn with a great looking lobby, clean rooms, and a large fitness center. However, there were a few areas that let me disappointed.

1. The staff at the front desk and the restaurant was not friendly. It seemed that they did not enjoy their jobs or providing good customer service.

2. The bathroom is very small and when the show door swings open it really makes that room feel cramped.

3. There was no towel or water in the fitness center. When I brought that to the attention of the front desk staff, the lady did not seem to care. She did not apologize for the inconvenience, thank me for providing that info to her, or offer any bottled water for me.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Leadbelly98
Dear Leadbelly98,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community! We appreciate your honest feedback as it helps us improve our service and property. On behalf of the staff and management I'd like to apologize for the negative aspects of your stay. It's disappointing to hear we did not exceed your expectations with friendly and attentive service. Making our guests feel welcome and anticipating their needs are two of our top priorities, but it seems we fell short during your stay.

We are truly sorry and would love to have another chance to show you that our staff members do enjoy working here and welcoming guests from all over the world. In regards to your note about the shower door, we also have rooms with a shower over a tub that would offer more space in the bathroom. If that is your preference we would be happy to accommodate.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Milwaukee area!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We're coming to the close of a three-week driving trip such as we take almost every fall. The Hilton Garden Inn is clearly the jewel of this trip. The physical plant is exceptional and was constructed with quality in mind. The soundproofing of the rooms is the best I've seen in years. It is next to the airport but we heard no planes, nor indeed any other noise of any kind. We slept soundly all three nights we were there. The truly high speed internet was important and, of course, a wired cord to plug into your computer was right there on the spacious desk. The shower (no bath) in our room was quite spacious with a flat floor, i.e., I didn't have to stand in a tub. My wife and I would have liked to take the sink home with us because the faucet shape was exactly the kind we're looking for--making it easy for me to brush my teeth without bending so far over. The bed has adjustable firmness for both sleepers and I must have got mine just perfect because I had great, uninterrupted sleep. We had the sit-down breakfast each day and that was exceptionally nice. The service in the restaurant was first class and my coffee cup was never empty. The food was delicious and was clearly prepared and presented with special care. The fresh cookies provided each evening upon our return to the hotel were the kind of friendly touch that epitomized the caring attitude of the front desk. You couldn't pass by without being greeted and, more important to me, the greetings were genuine and personal--not just the formal courtesy "good evening" you might expect in many hotels with "pretend" good service. The bottom line is that if and when we're near Milwaukee in the future, no research is necessary. This is my hotel!

Room Tip: No need for a special request that I can see.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
HGIMilwaukeeAirport, Tourism Ambassador at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Airport, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Dear ArtColorado,
Thank you for choosing our hotel and for sharing your feedback with other travelers! We appreciate your comments and are thrilled to have been a memorable part of your trip.

Thank you for sharing so many details about our rooms and amenities- it will really help others envision their stay before they arrive. It sounds like your visit was quiet and comfortable, exactly what we strive for. It's great to hear our staff's customer service made your stay even better and that you felt welcomed. Being able to truly connect with our guests makes our day as we hope to have a positive impact on everyone we greet.

We are so excited to be your home-away-from-home and can't wait to see you two again next year, if not sooner!
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I think the thing that sets apart this hotel from all others is their commitment to the customer. I have stayed at many comparable hotels. The amenities are very similar to other chains, however, what makes this hotel stand out is their front desk staff. They bent over backwards when we had a slight issue with the room. In a world where the customer service culture is dying these folks go above and beyond to assure the customer is 100% satisfied with their stay.
Also, if you stay here, be sure to have the "made to order" breakfast in the morning- the food was outstanding!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle L
HGIMilwaukeeAirport, Tourism Ambassador at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Airport, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Dear MichelleL,
Thank you for your review of our hotel and for sharing your thoughts with the TripAdvisor community! We appreciate your kind words and high rating of our property. We believe that great service is one of the most important things we can offer our guests as it can make an ordinary visit a special and memorable one. I apologize for the issue with your room and hope we were able to resolve the problem quickly. We stand behind our 100% satisfaction guarantee and it's great to see that made a difference in your experience.

Your comments mean so much to our staff and management (and hopefully other travelers!). We would be thrilled to see your family again soon and hope to make your next visit even better!
Odessa
Reviewed September 21, 2011

If you read the prior review on September 18, you will see that we weren’t very happy on that evening. However, we wanted to let you know the end of the story. We travel frequently and up till the evening of 9/18, we were very impressed by this Hilton Garden Inn. Unfortunately, because of the events of that evening, our confidence in the personnel were really shaken, but after speaking with Mr. Michael Glover, the Assistant GM, the next morning, he was able to reassure us. He answered all our questions, and he reassured us that what we perceived as safety issues were just a fluke—caused by human error, but they do have systems in place for situations such as these. Unfortunately, people are human. We accepted that. Mr. Glover couldn’t have been more honest and professional. He handled all our cares and concerns with the utmost of professionalism. He also dealt with our housekeeping issue personally, and met with the head of housekeeping so she could fix our problem, and then make sure situations like that don’t happen again. Mr. Glover also met with his front desk staff to train for issues like occurred that evening.

Mr. Glover bent over backwards to ensure that we were satisfied and happy, and we felt that we should give HGI another chance. Up until that evening, we couldn’t have been happier with the property. We usually frequent the Courtyard by Marriott chains, and this was our first stay at a Hilton Garden Inn, so we were a bit hesitant to break the loyalty chain with Marriott after what occurred on Sunday evening. However, after Mr. Glover’s dedication to customer satisfaction, we think it’s only fair that we give HGI another chance. We will be booking another stay at HGI.

I originally intended on writing to give this hotel a glowing review. I will go ahead and write the review I originally intended. The hotel is a diamond-in-the-rough. Though our room was on the top floor and faced the airport (we watched planes take off), we never heard any airplane noise! That’s soundproofing. I don’t know how they did it, but there was virtually no outside noise heard within the rooms, except over the weekend when children were running and laughing in the hallway. Other than that, these rooms have quiet features built in such as that the dresser drawers close slowly so they don’t slam and the toilet seat is sort-of hydraulic, so it won’t slam closed. Even the room doors close slowly so as not to slam shut loudly.

The towels and sheets are super soft and smell wonderful. We also enjoyed the complimentary coffee/tea in the lobby in the mornings, and the most wonderful HUGE chocolate chip cookies each evening. The lobby area is a very “happening” place in the morning for breakfast and the evenings for dinner. We did not eat dinner in the restaurant, but we did have appetizers and drinks at the wonderful bar. The ladies behind the bar were outstanding. Very friendly.

So, Mr. Glover assures me the events of that Sunday evening were just a fluke, and they have addressed the issues with further training. I appreciate the efforts they have taken to correct the issues, and am certain that Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Airport will be our hotel of choice the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FLChris
Dear FLChris,
Thank you for posting an update to your initial review. We appreciate your honest feedback on your unfortunate experience that Sunday evening. Thank you for giving Mr. Glover the opportunity to speak with you about the situation and restore your confidence in our staff and hotel. We do our best to ensure our guests feel safe and comfortable whether it's their first visit or fifteenth.

It's great to see you noticed some of the special features our hotel offers to ensure a quiet, restful stay. Thank you for your comments about the hotel's amenities and lobby. We hope during your next visit you have a chance to sample the new menu offered in our restaurant and that you'll find even more things to enjoy at our hotel.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to introduce you to the Hilton Garden Inn brand and for allowing us a chance to change your negative experience into a great one. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Milwaukee and hope to see you again soon!