“Great Service and Location....but the noise..”

Aloft Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #28 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
US
“Great Service and Location....but the noise..”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Our stay at Aloft was quite nice but I do have 2 small issues, both of which are issues mentioned by many other reviewers. First off though, the staff was very nice and accommodating. From the front desk to the valet guys, everyone was extremely nice and made us feel welcome. We did like the modern vibe of the place as well.

The only 2 complaints I have are: 1) The valet is very expensive. $25 per day, that is the highest I've ever paid at a hotel, even more than some much bigger cities with much more sparse parking. 2) The noise on weekend nights is quite loud. The hotel is nearby a bar and restaurant district and you can hear the music bumping early into the morning hours. I suppose if you are one of the ones partying as well then it wouldn't bother you much but we did come in earlier one evening to watch a movie and relax and it was a bit of an annoyance. Again, these are 2 issues mentioned by nearly every other person and we knew what to expect going in so were not disappointed. I would stay here again if I went back to Milwaukee.

One other minor thing, apparently they have a green program where you can get a voucher for the store in the lobby but no one told us about it and I only found out about it on the last day when I was looking through of one the magazines in the room and the door hanger fell out. If you hang this on your door and forgo the changing of bed sheets etc, you will get a voucher.

Room Tip: I would assume rooms that do not face the river might be quieter.
Green Features: They have a green program where you can get a $5 voucher to use in the little store downstairs. Ask the front desk about it because they didn't mention it to us and I only found out about it on the last day when it was too late.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your experience with us here in Milwaukee. Glad you had the opportunity to take a look at other reviews before choosing to stay as that truely is the best way to pick accomodations when traveling. Glad to hear that the staff and location were to your liking and we will make sure to share that experience with the team as the love to hear when tthey take care of our guests properly. We are sorry to hear that in your experience, the parking price was high, we conitnue to remain of of the cheaper options in the downtown area, unfortuantely, parking is at such a premium here in the city, the parking lots can name their price with hotels that need to lease them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I think this hotel should have a better recommendation score from the people. We stayed here for a weekend getaway from Chicago and had a lovely time. It was central to all the happenings (St. Patricks Day was upon us...we forgot about that) and walking distance to all of the great restaurants in the downtown area. I would stay here again. The hotel rooms were awesome and had a very modern feel with clean lined furniture and block color curtains, sheets and rug. The bed was super cozy, easy to work TV and the shower was amazing with 5 different spray jets. Amazing. At night the lobby of the hotel turned into a night club! A DJ came in and set up his equipment, there was a pool table and bar and free snack area. I mentioned FREE. Also (this is way cool) there was a game room set up and you can play Wii games. The room has bean bags and everything...major plus lol). We will definitely come back here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Rebecca G, Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Aloft in Milwaukee. We are so glad that you had a great time with us and that you gave us such a wonderful review. Hope to see you the next time you are in Milwaukee.
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night during Summerfest. Great stay, great location! Valet parking of $20-25 was too high considering we parked our own car in the ramp kiddie corner from the hotel for $10 over night. Lots of nearby restaurants/bars offered shuttle services so took advantage of that for the 1.5miles to Summerfest grounds. Dinner at Ian's Pizza & AJ Bombers for lunch the following day. Great food and both are not far to walk to!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! We appreciate the opportunity to take care of you and we hope you and your husband had a great tiem at Summerfest. Hopefully, we get to take care of you again!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed for two nights in July, attending Summerfest and brewery tours. The location is great, still in downtown, but at the edge. It's a 30+ minute walk to the Summerfest grounds, with bars and restaurants along the way.

Checkin with Vicky was great - she was very friendly and it went quick and smooth. We were given a choice of a room overlooking the city or their "backyard". We chose city, but were a little disappointed it was facing away from downtown. The room was modern and clean. Bed was comfortable. Easy to access outlets (important these days!) and good options to connect technology to the TV.

The other staff we encountered, at the bar, and in elevators on their way to tasks were all extremely friendly. Carried on at least three conversations with random workers.

Parking is steep - $25 valet, $15 self park (not sure where the self park is - it's not in the hotel itself). However, if you hunt around, especially on weekends, you can park nearby on the street.

Minor quibble, while wifi was free, it was essentially too slow to be worth the effort.

My biggest complaint here is the noise. The room we had overlooked the street and a bridge - the outer walls of this building must be made of paper - it was ridiculously noisy outside. Get a interior-facing room to avoid this. And the Air Conditioning units in the room are also extremely noisy. They had units I'd expect to see in a early 90s remodel of an old hotel, not becoming of everything else modern at Aloft.

That said, I loved the hotel and would happily stay there again. A bar that's open till 1 or 2 on weekend is great, as many hotels close their bars around 10 or 11. The music and vibe is great. Don't come expecting a boring old fashioned hotel - this is a new experience. It's W without the rich pretentious attitude.

Room Tip: If you're not a heavy sleeper, choose a "backyard" (courtyard) room. The street noise...
Green Features: They will offer you a Starpoints credit if you choose to reuse your linens.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Asten77,

Thank you for sharing your Summerfest experience with us! Sounds like you had a great tiem and we appreciate the opportunity to take care of you on the trip. We will make sure that your comments regarding our team reach them as they take great pride in welcoming our guests. We hope to have you back again in the future!
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I was in Milwaukee for the weekend to run in the Rock N Sole Half Marathon. The sponsored hotel was full when I made my reservation and the Aloft was the other hotel with a discounted rate for runners. My check-in was smooth and the front desk was friendly. The last time I had seen such a trendy and contemporary hotel was in Europe. I liked the atmosphere and had I not been there by myself, I would have had a drink at the bar at some point. There is a pool table in the lobby which I thought was cool too. After check in, I went up to my room and was pleased. It was neat, trendy and had everything I needed. There was complimentary wifi with the room which is always a plus. I was very hungry and one of the staff at the front desk suggested a local Italian restaurant that was just a few blocks away. It was a great recommendation! As I had to be up very early the following morning, I spoke with the staff about getting a cab. They said I only needed to call 5 minutes before I wanted the cab and they were right! Throughout the weekend, I had the staff call me a cab probably 6-7 times. The front desk staff was very helpful and accommodating. The only reason why this hotel did not get 5 stars is because 1) It did not completely blow the experience out of the water 2) My room was on a noisy street. There are a bunch of bars and restaurants within the next two blocks which is really cool and accommodating, except when you have to be awake at 6 a.m. My guess is that this was a problem because it was a Friday night. If you plan to stay there on Friday or Saturday, I would suggest trying to get a room that does not face the bars/restaurant area. Again, this may have negatively affected other guests more than it did me. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
We are so happy that you chose to stya with us the night before the race. Hope you did well, and we apologize about the placement of your room. We do the best we can to accomodate people's needs and unfortunately, we did not cater to you properly. Hopefully, we can have more opportunites in the future to take care of you on your visits to town.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We really liked this place, but I can see why people don't:

1. It's very contemporary with a young vibe.
2. The bars are very close; we loved that!
3. The lobby was really cool-electronica playing through the speakers, lots of cool chairs and couches and a pool table.
4. Do not expect a traditional hotel stay. It's not plush-it's modern and minimalist-but we liked it!
5. Our only complaints were-the sheets were scratchy and we wished we didn't have to pay for valet.

Stayed June 2014
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Milwaukee. We understand that you have many options when traveling and love the opportunity to take care of guests when they come through to visit. We apprecaite when people let us know the pros and the cons so that we can celebrate what we do well as well as work on our opportunties to make the stay better for our guests. Hopefully, we can have you back in the future!
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The Aloft is a fun hotel on the edge of downtown Milwaukee. I suggest requesting a view of the river or maybe the courtyard, but if your room is on the street your view will be of a vacant lot. Unless you need a car, I would advise not renting one because the parking charges are fairly steep. We walked everywhere with the very occasional taxi. Milwaukee is a fun town to explore on foot.

Positives: Amenities (free pool table in lobby, pool, exercise room, food available 24/7), nice room, comfortable bed (we like a firm mattress), and clean design.

Negatives: Bath towels - it is hard to be "green" when the towels are so thin as to be supplied by Motel 6, overworked front desk staff who cannot handle a big influx of guests, and the price of parking.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DCaprilee
Thank you for choosing to stya with us and also for sharing your experience of your time as our guest. Appreciate the feedback and hopefully you enjoyed your stay and the city. We are currently working on refreshing our towel inventory as we also noticed that they need some TLC so hopefully that will resolve the issues you had with that item. Yes, parking is an extra charge but we are actually one of the lower cost options in the city if you indeed do need a vehicle.