“Downtown Milwaukee”

Ranked #30 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Downtown Milwaukee”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel multiple times over the past two years.( noisy bridge construction pretty much over now) .reasons.. good location for 1. walking distance to mutiple restaurants and bars (esp if working and sick of driving) 2. easy access to highway again without the downtown traffic 3. clean and well maintained property. The XYZ bar has light snacks and a good selection of drinks. The person who works in the mini food service area is always wonderfully helpful and they do make great breakfast sandwiches. I would say check in has been inconsistent.. sometimes the person is warm, welcoming and helpful..other times sorta rude.. but the overall experience is very good. I am not a fan of the rain shower head..but that's just me.. its hard to take a shower and NOT get your hair wet and we women don't always wash our hair daily.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank policymom
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for letting us know about your experience(s) with us. You sound like a veteran with us and we always appreciate continued support as we know that you have several options when traveling to the Milwaukee area. If you can help us, let us know who makes your stay special sp that we can appreciate them. Converesly, if there is anyone that needs further training, please let us know so that we can help them achieve their full potential. We look forward to welcoming you back and pelase let us know if there is anything else you may need.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Cobb
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I don't think these folks could have hired anyone more rude to run their front desk if they tried. I stayed for a wedding this weekend and upon checking in was greated by the most rude woman I have ever met. I'm fairly certain the owners would have been shocked if they saw the way she treated us, and the lack of customer service on her part. The most shocking part is when I arrived at the wedding reception all of the guests were talking about how rude they were treated by this same woman! The others who checked when she was not at the front desk were shocked by our stories at they had no issues.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
We appreciate you telling us about your experiecne and we apologize about the service you recieved upon check in. Obviously, this is not up to our standards or expectations and want this to be resolved. If you have any more information regarding your check in experience, please contact us so that we can address it with the proper individuals to ensure something like this does not happen again. As you can tell by the experience of others, this is not standard practice or service from our team, so we appreciate the help in allowing us to coach this person so that they can meet and exceed guest expectations!
Savannah, GA
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I rarely bestow a 5 star rating, but this was a gem of a hotel. Trendy in a GOOD way, not a "how the heck do I turn on my shower" way. Great snacks in the lobby available (for a fee, but when you've been travelling, such a great thing to see). This is the first time I've stayed in the Aloft version of SPG hotels, and I will now try out others. Staff was knowledgable and helpful. Rooms were spotless. Really liked this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SavannahLady2010
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for letting us know about your experience while with us. We are so glad that we were able to take care of you on this visit to Mmilwaukee and hope to see you again the next time you are in town!
Northern Minnesota
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We chose this hotel because of their special rate with Lakefront Brewery, which was our destination of choice celebrating a birthday weekend. The hotel deserves the high rating from TripAdvisor, and the room was very well appointed although quite small, reminded me of Japanese hotels. The room had every amenity we could have wanted, including a small refrigerator. The hotel is close to a very active bar scene, just a short walk away with anything from old dive bars to trendy new restaurants. The hotel itself has a nice bar and an incredible selection of food and necessities displayed in the lobby. Ask in advance about shuttle availability, we found out after the fact that the shuttle had been "contracted out" for the evening. Our room was spotlessly clean and we heard no construction noise, possibly due to the rain!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing away from the bridge to get away from construction noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The_Duluth_Kids
Thank you for choosing to stya with us and help celebrate the birthday weekend! Glad you found the hotel to be conveinent for your trip. Hope the Lakefront Brewery was everything you hoped it to be. Hope to see you again soon.
san antonio
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Easy review is this is a great place for the downtown booze cruise. We hosted 8 customers and it was perfect. Bountiful dinning options with in walkiing distance, nice bar on site. Great time was had by all.

Room Tip: non street view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
We are so happy you choose to stay with us when entertaining your clients. Hopefully the meeting was a success. We are always glad to help out, so please let us know if you need heklp in the future!
Midwest
Reviewed September 30, 2012

At first glance, the Aloft looks charming and chic. The few pluses that I'll give it: it's stylish, the fruit-infused water in the lobby is tasty, and its location is convenient. Now for the minuses:
1) It's dirty. My carpet was stained with something that looked like blood or coffee.
2) They have a "go green" option in terms of housekeeping. This doesn't mean that they clean your room but don't provide the linens like it does in some hotels; it means they don't clean it at all. In exchange, you get a voucher worth $500 or 500 Star Points. I did this on my first day, and I was surprised that they didn't even replenish my coffee or my washcloths, so I had to ask at the front desk. The second day, I decided NOT to go green, but housekeeping never came, much to my dismay, and when I requested to have coffee pouches sent up for morning, they never arrived. The morning of my check-out I went downstairs and the free coffee for breakfast was gone with no more to be brewed, and I waited more than 20 minutes for the coffee packets to brew in my room and still never got them. At least the folks at the desk let me make a free Americano with the fancy machine, and they let me have my breakfast for free to compensate for the fact that I didn't get my room cleaning the previous day (nor did I receive the second voucher).
3) It's NOISY. They're doing construction on a nearby bridge, which can begin as early as 7 am. Aside from this, I could hear people in other rooms walking about, opening and closing their blinds, and doing other things. It was very difficult to sleep.
4) The entryways and lobby were messy too.

So, in short, this hotel is dirty and with poor service. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for my room (it was covered by a work trip), but if I come back to Milwaukee, I will stay elsewhere.

3 Thank JLFear
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Sorry to hear that you had such an unpleassant experience while staying with us. Obviously not the type of experience we wqant any guest to walk away with. Whether or not the company footed the bill, it is the overall experience that we care about. Thank you for letting us know how it went for you and we will follow up with the team to ensure things that we can correct, do get corrected. Luckily, the bridge construction is done (according to the time line) on November 16th, so that will be a huge help. Again, apologize for the experience you had, but we will learn from this and improve so it does not happen again.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I've travled to several cities both for business and pleasure, and Aloft MKE Downtown makes staying in a ho-hum area of Milwaukee more than tolerable. I recently stayed for some serious training, and I was always well rested, had plenty of options for entertainment, exercise, and the occasional libation. I also remained at the hotel for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I was never short of healthy options for all of my meals and snacks. I want to give a shout out to Kristi @ Aloft and all the other staff members who made my stay awesome.

Thanks!

Room Tip: Make sure to select a room street side until they finish the bridge.
1 Thank Garret S
Thank you for letting us know about your experience with us. Glad we could be of service to you and it makes it even better when our staff stands out to our guests! Hope the training went well and it was packed with exciting new information! Come see us again the next time you are in town, we would love to take care of you again!