“A Shining Start in Milwaukee”

Aloft Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed October 6, 2011

First trip to Milwaukee and what a great place to stay. Located within walking distance to great restaurants and night life. The holel was perfect. Rooms are modern and big. The staff could not have been more gracious. A great place to stay if you are in town on business or going to a Packers game.A perfect home for my bucket list trip to see the Green Bay Packers.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2011

Congratulations on being able to take a Packers home game off of your bucket list! More importantly the Packers won! Hope the experience at the game was everything you expected and more. Come back and see us again!

There are newer reviews for Aloft Milwaukee Downtown

Reviewed October 3, 2011

We just returned from a weekend in Milwaukee visiting a relative who is a student at Marquette University. The Aloft is located very close to Marquette and while it is a long walk to the campus, it can be be done if you're used to walking. We really liked the location on Old World Third Street - the hotel is close to an area with lots of great little bars and restaurants. I read some reviews where people said the neighborhood was bad, but we did not find that to be the case. It's no different than any other major metropolitan area, just be aware of your surroundings, don't walk around by yourself at night and don't do anything stupid to make yourself a target. My husband and I felt safe walking around the area at midnight visting several bars. We live in the City of St. Louis so we know what not to do and we had no problems.

The staff at the Aloft was very welcoming and let us check in early since we were off to a bad start thanks to the airline we flew losing my husband's bag. The nice lady at the check-in gave us a great room with a view of the river to make our stay a little nicer and I really appreciated that gesture. The desk clerks and the valets are very friendly and helpful. When my husband's bag finally arrived around 11:00 p.m., the front desk notified us that it had arrived and had the security guard bring it to our room. We were fine with using the valet service over the self park. It's $23 per day for overnight valet, but you had in/out privileges and that made it easier on us. Self park is $15 and you may not find a spot later at night.

The decor of the Aloft is pretty trendy and uber-modern and while that is not our particular style, we were very pleased with the accomodations and staff. There was some construction going on next door, but nothing that interfered with our quiet enjoyment. The room was quite lovely and spacious and the only complaint that I would have is the fact that there is no dresser to put your socks and undies. There was a small closet and shelves to put your things, but this worked fine for the two nights were were there. Other than that, the room was spacious and clean and the shower was huge, so that was really nice.

And even though the trendy decor is not necessarily our taste, we would definitely stay at the Aloft in downtown Milwaukee again as we had a great experience there and the price was right. The staff was friendly and helpful and we didn't feel out of place at all. We really liked to proximity to some great bars and restaurants and did not feel unsafe walking around the area either during the day or night. Just use good common sense and be aware of your surroundings, and you'll be fine. The Aloft Hotel in downtown Milwaukee is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write us a review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit to Milwaukee and we are glad we could be a part of that! We hope to see you again the next time you are here.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

This hotel would be a great option if you're looking for a base to check out downtown Milwaukee. Perfect for an event at the Bradley Center, a minute walk away, and close to lots of bars, food, shopping etc. I live downtown and only stayed here because we purchased a Groupon so thought we'd check it out. If you want a romantic hotel this is not the best pick - it has a cold, trendy euro type feel. Everything was clean and tidy but no extra amenities to make you enjoy your stay. There were only two towels in the room and we had to ask for water glasses. There was not a single cup in the room. They didn't even offer to bring the glasses up, we had to go down to reception to collect them ourselves. So that pretty much sums it up - no bells or whistles, but perfectly good if you just need a clean, comfy bed and want to be in the heart of downtown.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Thanks for the review, we always apprciate when travelers take time out to give us feedback. I am sorry there were no cups in the rooms and we will definately look into that as there should be 4 paper coffee cups in each loft on the coffee tray. We are glad though that you were able to stay with us for the event that you attended at the Bradley Center. Hope you had a great time!

Reviewed September 25, 2011

A couple of friends and I were in Milwaukee on the second leg of a trip we were taking together, and were going to be at this hotel for one night. We had some time to kill the day we arrived and decided to take a tour of the Miller Brewery. I spoke with a customer service agent and she was able to gt me information for a tour of a local brewery called Lakefront Brewery that turned out to be great. The night before, we stayed at the Aloft in Minneapolis. They had a shuttle that would take you just about anywhere within reason. We saw great value in that, and wewre excited about that at this Aloft. However, when we asked about the shuttle at this hotel and if it could take us to the Brewery about a mile and a half away , we were told that they had a shuttle, but they would not take us anywhere and gave me some excuse about insurance and how the valet company operated it, so they did not use it if they did not have to. Kind of lame if you ask me. I'd rather you say that is a service you just do not offer. What's worse is the desk agent was just kind of "whatever" about the fact that she was telling a customer no. As someone who works in hotels everyday, I was really surprised she was so comfortable with telling a customer no. The next morning, we needed a ride to the Amtrak station about two miles from the hotel, and were told no again. This time I got an excuse that was about how they would be fined if they ran someone to the airport because of an agreement with a shuttle service in town. I stated we were not going to the airport, and she just told me a shuttle ride was not possible. I then had to pay a cab $17 to drive me less than two miles to the Amtrak station. Milwaukee is a great town, and the hotel is nice, but this hotel really needs to think about how they look at service and coach their staff to deal with customers. That service could set them apart and create value where a lot of other places can't. What could have been a WOW experience turned out to be just average.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We are glad that you were able to stay with us while here in Milwaukee and were able to take some time to stop by some of our great breweries. I do apologize that you were not satisfied with the lack of shuttle service. It is true that in fact we do not use the shuttle every day of the week for different reasons. However, we could have definately done a better job explaining that and we can understand our frustration. We will work on it and definately always look for this type of feedback to help us seet ourselves apart.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

Previous review had suggestions that were very helpful for my stay at the Aloft. I had a room on the 4th flood and I ran the fan at night. I couldn't hear a thing outside. I heard more footsteps from the 5th floor than I did music and partying. The weekend nights and weekday nights are night and day difference. Nothing was going on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday night. Saturday night was hoppin and loud.
The hotel is modern and hip, which is something I never have experienced before. The room itself was fine. The bathroom could use a fan and the maid staff could scrub the showers. There are body wash and shampoo dispensers and they leak on the shower flood. I was greeted with a pile of shampoo and body wash and left with a pile of shampoo and body wash. I didn't mention it to management because its only soap and I am splitting hairs.
The location is on the north side of the riverwalk. Bring your walking shoes if you plan on bar hopping. I took the bus from the airport and a taxi back. People who complain about parking fees must not travel much, I've yet come across a downtown with cheap/free parking.
This is a very good hotel and I would stay here again but only during the week. I am not huge into burning the midnight oil and would stay elsewhere over the weekend. I wish they offered free muffins or donuts to go with coffee on the way out the door.

Room Tip: Room on 4th or 5th floor. Turn the thermostat fan to "ON" all night to drown out the soci...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed at this hotel in April 2011. I picked it because it was so close to downtown activities. The service was awesome and everyone was really helpful. They had an awesome outdoor area where you could sit on comfy couch like furniture. I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a great new hotel on the edge of downtown and right on the river with nice views. Rooms are really sharp and functional with superb design and comfort. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the price was right. Bar staff couldn't tell a pinot noir from a pinot grigio but all in all I'd recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

Thanks for the review. So glad the staff made you feel welcomed while you were here. Thanks also for letting us know about your bar experience, looks like some training is needed! We hope to see you again soon!