“Quick stop - Nice Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 134 Nightlife in Milwaukee
Chicagoish
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Quick stop - Nice Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Seems like a lot of people with bad service reviews, but we didn't experience any problems at all. Stopped in on a Saturday evening as it was just getting dark. We enjoyed a delicious craft beer recommended to us by the bartender, then went merrily on our way. I've uploaded a photo of the interior to the 'visitor photos' section above. Personally, I like the darkened interior; it's much more intimate. The photo makes it look lighter than it actually was, just to give an idea of what the place looks like.

Visited September 2013

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Unfortunate Service - Likely Will Not Return!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was at Sugar Maple this last weekend with a group of about 10 with another 5 or so on their way. We left because there was a VERY rude bar back who ruined our celebration (which we were there for a friends birthday, and I believe all of us had never been before, so this was our first impression). The decor is appeasing, but is was so ungodly dark in the place, our group was sitting by a window, and I placed my purse between the curtains to allow for a crack of light (at 7:30pm on a Saturday in WI we cherish the sunlight still being around at that time!). Within 30 seconds, the bar back practically ran over to our group, he grabbed my purse off the window ledge (i'm sorry, but NEVER touch a woman's purse... ESPECIALLY if you do not know her!!!!!!!!!!) and snarled "DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON THE LEDGE!!!!!!" and roughly set my purse behind me and turned and walked away with an attitude.

My group and I were utterly shocked!!! I was absolutely livid. That is no way to treat customers. All he had to do was ask and I would have taken it down... If they want to have a cave-like ambiance, that's fine. We informed the bartender who had helped most all of our group (he was very nice and helpful at least) why we were leaving, and that we were taking our business elsewhere, all because of his extremely rude bar back. A few of us waited for a friend to come back from the bathroom, and I saw the bartender go to the bar back and converse with him... Then, the bar back came by our table and began clearing it off with extreme attitude again. You would think there would have been an apology, but nothing. He acted as if we didn't even exist.

Our entire group went next door to Cafe Centraal where we had (at that point) about 20 people, and had amazing and fun servers who were more than acommodating to our group. I don't think I'll ever go back to Sugar Maple, which is sad, because it has potential... But I agree with many others... Word of advice to the owners - drop the people with attitudes. You are in a customer-service based establishment. And you're not being "cool" or "trendy" with a jerky attitude. You're going to lose customers and go under if you don't do some personnel rehab. Plus, you probably lost a good $500+ worth of business with our group... Sorry!

7 Thank DeeMC83
Charlotte, NC, USA
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“Good neighborhood bar with >60 taps”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

After a strong recommendation from a friend, a co-worker and I stopped into Sugar Maple on a recent business trip to Milwaukee. The bar is located in the quaint business district of Bayview, only a short drive from the airport. Inside is a long, winding bar with tons of casual seating options opposite. The Sugar Maple has 62 beers on tap, including a large selection of Wisconsin microbrews. The bartender was friendly, attentive and helpful in choosing a beer. We did not have any of the service issues experienced by previous TA reviewers. Overall, a very good experience.

Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Slow Service, Crude Patrons, Dark and Uncomfortable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Service was pretty slow, only one bartender. The bartender had good knowledge of the beers and was nice enough to offer a few small samples if we weren't sure of what to order. Don't know if they were regulars or not, but a couple of guys at the end of the bar were making some pretty crude and loud comments. Friends and myself ended up leaving after one beer.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Big Mistake”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I will never ever go back to that bar. It use to be a nice play. now you cant get service and heaven forbid you move a chair then you get almost most attacked by some goof ball bus boy. I give it a year and it will be out of business. If you don't believe me look at the other post. We tried to talk to the owner and all she would say is Google it. Well Google this!

After reading other post what is it with this bar and this goof ball.Our party of 10 walked out.

Visited April 2013