“Great value, wonderful beef, one of our favorites”

Ward's House of Prime
Reserve with OpenTable
Ward's House of Prime is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #110 of 1,507 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Jackson
Description: Open weekdays for lunch 11am-2pmDinner 5pm-10pmLounge 4pm-1amClosed Sunday
Milwaukee
“Great value, wonderful beef, one of our favorites”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We went here to celebrate our anniversary. This was our second visit, and we were looking forward to returning after our great first experience here. We were seated promptly upon arrival. We had reservations at 5:30, and by 6:15 the dining room was pretty full. The noise level never got too high, and we had no problems talking during the meal.

We started with a glass of Prosecco to help celebrate. We decided to split a 24 oz. prime rib portion, and we ordered different doneness according to our taste. We also ordered a side of asparagus. The salads were nicely done, with crisp greens and tasty dressings. There was a bit too much onion flavor, but that was just personal taste. The twice-baked potato was cheesy on the top, with bacon bits inside, and browned perfectly. The prime rib was delivered hot, and each portion was done correctly, just as we had ordered. I enjoyed a glass of Duckhorn Cab with the prime rib. This was a treat for me, as it's not usually offered by the glass. The asparagus was simply steamed, with hollandaise sauce on the side, and it came across as a bit plain. I think they could have done something a little more inspired, as there are numerous asparagus recipes that would have complemented the prime rib better. We split a creme brulee for dessert, and coffee finished off the dinner.

One thing I really like is that the dinners include salad and potato. Most "steakhouses" serve everything a la carte, so when you order a steak, you get... a steak. Nothing more. I also like that the wine list has a lot of good selections at reasonable bottle prices ($40 to $60). Many other pricey places charge $60 or more for average selections ($15 at the wine store) and hundreds of dollars for the nice stuff. Why not try to sell more bottles at fair prices and have people feel they are not being ripped off?

The service was attentive, but we never felt hurried in making our selections or in eating. Water glasses were filled frequently, so we were never dry.

Tips: We had a restaurant.com $50 certificate, which cut a good chunk off the meal price, so the value was better. You will probably need to make a reservation, and may need to do this a few days in advance. When we called, the 6 to 8 pm dinner slots were full already.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank John M

“Nice enough but pricey”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The restaurant was pleasant. The people were pleasant. But for what you get, I think it was too expensive. Of course, one is probably also paying for the location. I had prime rib. My husband had a salad. I've had better prime rib and better cheesecake.

• Visited April 2012
Katy, Texas
“Excellent doesn't say enough!”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I love Prime Rib. I have a place in Texas that I go to that has the best I have ever experienced ............ until I came here. I had the 24oz. and it had to be the best cut of meat I have ever had in my entire life. The service was perfect. This place was featured on the Food Channel, now I know why.

Visited March 2012
“Solid”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Having been a steakhouse in a prior life this restaurant is a standard in the steakhouse genre.

Appetizers and salads are all good and the Caesar is really not overdone like so many are.

I've been there a few times and the prime is always tender and delicious.

Wines are a good value with a spectrum of costs to allow most budgets.

Service is always snappy.

Great romantic place as the fish is also good and varies with what is the best available..

A great celebration place.

• Visited March 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Much better Steak Houses in the City”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

The menu is very generic and there was nothing special about the meal. The food was fine but the service was more consistent with what I'd expect from a casual restaurant, not a fine dining spot.

Visited March 2012