TripAdvisor
Milwaukee
Post
Inbox
Search

“Best Mexican in Milwaukee”

Guanajuato Mexican Restaurant
Order Online
Ranked #131 of 1,748 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Bay View
Neighborhood: Bay View
Reviewed November 21, 2014

You will not find better Mexican food in this city, and certainly not for the price. I have eaten at GTO numerous times & never been disappointed. Very good chips and salsa with a homemade taste, excellent margaritas, large portions, and fantastic food. While there are many other options in town, from the popular authentic types like Botanas or La Perla, or the chain-style restaurants like Habanero's or El Fuego, GTO beats them all. You will get better food at a better price than any of the places that are better known.

Date of visit: November 2014
Write a reviewReviews (62)

Reviewed November 9, 2014

We have tried this restaurant both for lunch and dinner, and we were very pleased both times! Staff is very friendly, and food is very good! Margaritas are delicious too! They recently moved one building south, and while it is not a large restaurant, the menu is extensive! They are known for their steak tacos, and they are excellent! I highly recommend this local business!

Date of visit: November 2014
Reviewed August 27, 2014

A little family owned business in the heart of Bay View. My favorites to order are the steak tacos and the horchata. BEST horchata in town!

Date of visit: July 2014
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We used to live in Bay View, so GTO was our fave Mexican place for authentic, cheap, and amazing steak tacos (other menu items are great too). We now live 30min away but will drive for our tacos. The service is incredibly slow and inattentive most of the time, BUT as soon as you sink your teeth into their steak tacos, all of your frustrations will disappear. We also love their horchata and chips and salsa - just be prepared to wait, but it's worth it!

Reviewed July 12, 2014

To me, chimichanga always sounds like a cheer. I was cheered by my dinner choice of a pair with ground beef over my usual order of chicken enchiladas. The toasty dough enclosed goodly portions of nicely-spiced meat. A small, bright place, Guanajuato’s is just south of the increasingly popular Lincoln-Kinnickinnic-Howell triangle; parking south of it on Howell is your best bet for a space. An occasional drinker, I have enjoyed their margaritas, but favor the tamarind Jarritos. Tequila aficionados will find many choices to satisfy their tastes and thirst.

Date of visit: July 2014