I originally booked at this motel back in April for my husband and I, after purchasing tickets for the Aerosmith concert at Summerfest. At the time, it was the only close motel to the park grounds that had availability, and the free shuttle service sounded awesome. I never bothered to look at the neighborhood the motel was located in, nor did I read any reviews. This past Friday night, before our Saturday check-in, I finally researched the motel, as I was downloading directions to it from our home. I immediately started to regret that we were going to be staying at this motel, and looked into staying somewhere else, but decided to just see for myself what it was like. Some of the reviews made the motel/neighborhood sound like I would be staying in a crack den in Cabrini Green.
I am glad I did keep the reservation, when all is said and done. Now, this past weekend had to be one of the busiest weekends for the motel. Summerfest is going on, they had a wedding party staying there, you name it. We arrived at 4:30, and we were checked in immediately and efficiently by the very gracious woman at the front desk. The parking lot was small, and full, but we had no problem parking on Vine, the cross street, right across from the parking lot entrance. I knew theyhad parking lot security, and was told that where we parked was legal, and the car would be watched. The woman at the front desk gave us the shuttle info, and told us to call 30 minutes before we needed to leave. We went up to our room, which was neat and clean. Yes, it was small, but it was the size I was expecting for our room rate and room choice. When I called for the shuttle at 5:15, I was told that it was leaving at 5:30, and that they had room for two more people. The shuttle van was also what I was expecting for something that was free. Basic transportation with air conditioning. The driver was a very pleasant man, who we had a nice conversation with after the wedding party that was also on the shuttle disembarked at their location. We intended to take the shuttle back from Summerfest, and he made sure we had his info, but in the end did not need to use it, we had some friends that met us at Summerfest drive us back.
Let me address other user comments about this motel being located in the "hood"/not great area, because these really irritated me. I am a white female, who has lived my whole life in predominantly white suburban towns. I have had reason to spend time in some TRULY awful areas of major cities, including Chicago, Atlanta, and Grand Rapids. Neighborhoods where you don't walk the streets at night unless you live there, and even then at your own risk. I certainly did not feel scared or unsafe in the neighborhood where this motel was located. AT ALL. I am truly baffled as to why other users felt this part of Milwaukee was bad/unsafe. Yes, some of the people who we saw walking around were minorities. (GASP!) My guess is they were there because they live close by, and were going about their regular day. You know, like any other neighborhood. If all it takes is for people to see minorities, and immediately label a location as unsafe, then I suggest they get out and see more of the world. Pronto.
Some additional notes:
1. The common areas were clean, including the elevators, although one back stairwell(which I am not sure we were supposed to be on in the first place) was filled with garbage bags of trash from housecleaning. That is the only thing I saw that was unusual, but again, it was not a stairwell most people would be on normally.
2. There was no noise from adjoining rooms or the hallway to speak of, although the motel was booked to capacity.
3. The continental breakfast was actually better than most I have encountered, due to the surprising amount of hot items available. Sure, it wasn't quality food, but it was better than the usual bagels and rolls.
4. Check out was a breeze at 11:30, I was the only person there, and the printer was down, so I was told I would be e-mailed a receipt, which I was immediately, and I was fine with that.
5. Every staff member I dealt with was gracious and welcoming, and I noticed that they had some bios of everyone in the binder in the room. I had never seen that before, and thought it was really a nice personal touch.
Overall, my impression was that for one of the busiest weekends at this motel, the service was above par, the room was more than acceptable, and the price was extremely right, especially considering the free shuttle service. I also want to reiterate that the area the motel is located in is perfectly normal, and safe.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Days Inn & Suites Milwaukee reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Days Inn And Suites Milwaukee
- Days Inn & Suites Milwaukee Hotel Milwaukee