“Glad I didn't cancel my reservation!”

Days Inn & Suites Milwaukee
Ranked #45 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I originally booked at this motel back in April for my husband and I, after purchasing tickets for the Aerosmith concert at Summerfest. At the time, it was the only close motel to the park grounds that had availability, and the free shuttle service sounded awesome. I never bothered to look at the neighborhood the motel was located in, nor did I read any reviews. This past Friday night, before our Saturday check-in, I finally researched the motel, as I was downloading directions to it from our home. I immediately started to regret that we were going to be staying at this motel, and looked into staying somewhere else, but decided to just see for myself what it was like. Some of the reviews made the motel/neighborhood sound like I would be staying in a crack den in Cabrini Green.

I am glad I did keep the reservation, when all is said and done. Now, this past weekend had to be one of the busiest weekends for the motel. Summerfest is going on, they had a wedding party staying there, you name it. We arrived at 4:30, and we were checked in immediately and efficiently by the very gracious woman at the front desk. The parking lot was small, and full, but we had no problem parking on Vine, the cross street, right across from the parking lot entrance. I knew theyhad parking lot security, and was told that where we parked was legal, and the car would be watched. The woman at the front desk gave us the shuttle info, and told us to call 30 minutes before we needed to leave. We went up to our room, which was neat and clean. Yes, it was small, but it was the size I was expecting for our room rate and room choice. When I called for the shuttle at 5:15, I was told that it was leaving at 5:30, and that they had room for two more people. The shuttle van was also what I was expecting for something that was free. Basic transportation with air conditioning. The driver was a very pleasant man, who we had a nice conversation with after the wedding party that was also on the shuttle disembarked at their location. We intended to take the shuttle back from Summerfest, and he made sure we had his info, but in the end did not need to use it, we had some friends that met us at Summerfest drive us back.

Let me address other user comments about this motel being located in the "hood"/not great area, because these really irritated me. I am a white female, who has lived my whole life in predominantly white suburban towns. I have had reason to spend time in some TRULY awful areas of major cities, including Chicago, Atlanta, and Grand Rapids. Neighborhoods where you don't walk the streets at night unless you live there, and even then at your own risk. I certainly did not feel scared or unsafe in the neighborhood where this motel was located. AT ALL. I am truly baffled as to why other users felt this part of Milwaukee was bad/unsafe. Yes, some of the people who we saw walking around were minorities. (GASP!) My guess is they were there because they live close by, and were going about their regular day. You know, like any other neighborhood. If all it takes is for people to see minorities, and immediately label a location as unsafe, then I suggest they get out and see more of the world. Pronto.

Some additional notes:
1. The common areas were clean, including the elevators, although one back stairwell(which I am not sure we were supposed to be on in the first place) was filled with garbage bags of trash from housecleaning. That is the only thing I saw that was unusual, but again, it was not a stairwell most people would be on normally.
2. There was no noise from adjoining rooms or the hallway to speak of, although the motel was booked to capacity.
3. The continental breakfast was actually better than most I have encountered, due to the surprising amount of hot items available. Sure, it wasn't quality food, but it was better than the usual bagels and rolls.
4. Check out was a breeze at 11:30, I was the only person there, and the printer was down, so I was told I would be e-mailed a receipt, which I was immediately, and I was fine with that.
5. Every staff member I dealt with was gracious and welcoming, and I noticed that they had some bios of everyone in the binder in the room. I had never seen that before, and thought it was really a nice personal touch.

Overall, my impression was that for one of the busiest weekends at this motel, the service was above par, the room was more than acceptable, and the price was extremely right, especially considering the free shuttle service. I also want to reiterate that the area the motel is located in is perfectly normal, and safe.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mrsdruidparrothead

Reviewed July 2, 2012

The only good thing about the hotel is the room itself, which was clean, spacious and comfortable.

Parking was too small to accommodate all of the guest's vehicles and was next to what can only be described as the ghetto. However, a very stern looking security guard did watch over the parking lot at night (a plus). The surrounding neighborhood is sketchy, with suspicious looking people milling about. Someone through a bottle through the shuttle driver's window during our stay. Needless to say, horrible neighborhood, so don't leave your room.

The woman at the front desk was friendly, though not overly bright. Other office staff were lazy, bored and relatively unfriendly. The bartender, Juan, spent the entire night drinking and smoking on the tented "patio" while hitting on hotel guests. He was absent from hotel area for over an hour while at least 10 people waited in the bar for drinks. Upon noticing his absence, the staff yelled his name toward the parking lot. Very professional.

They offer a free shuttle within a 2 mile radius, and free shuttle to and from Summerfest, which was excellent and greatly appreciated. Our first driver, Doug, was prompt and very friendly. The next day, we had "Van" who was angry, rude, belligerent and hostile. When he pulled up to the hotel with the shuttle, a PAYING GUEST was checking in and was parked near the entrance. Van proceeded to lay on the horn and did not stop for about 15 seconds, then walked aggressively up to the window, pounded on the window and yelled at the passenger waiting in the car to move the vehicle. We did not feel safe riding in the shuttle after he proceeded to yell at the group of us waiting for the shuttle and complaining about having to drive us. The seats still had broken glass on them from the bottle throwing accident the night before.

When we called to get picked up from lunch, Van yelled at us again because "he had to pick us up" and now it was our fault that he was going to be late picking people up for his Summerfest schedule. Please note, we had asked if this was okay with the front desk, and the woman said it would not be a problem. Van has the worst attitude of anyone I have ever met and treated all of riders in his shuttle like they were an awful inconvenience. He tried to make another couple pay for their ride to Summerfest (advertised as a complimentary service) because they hadn't actually checked in to their room yet (although they had pre-paid online), then sighed heavily and muttered under his breath when the couple responded that the shuttle was free and they had paid for their room already, even though they hadn't yet checked in. I have never been met someone so rude in my life. Apparently he didn't understand that these were paying customers aboard his complimentary shuttle. If you're going to yell at people for using your shuttle service, then do us all a favor and don't offer one.

The "hot breakfast" was poor, but the nice woman working it was working very hard to make sure everything was refilled and the area was clean. Coffee tasted like stale cigarettes. Check-out was terrible as the computer was down and they were simply writing email addressed on a notebook without explaining to guests what was going on or why they were doing this.

Housekeeping did a nice job cleaning the rooms, however our used towels were merely deposited outside of our door and remained there until we checked out the next day. The "conference center" on our floor was disheveled and looked like a tornado had gone through it, complete with broken and bent blinds.

DON'T STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: 2 Queen suite was nice, odd room layout, but plenty of room for belongings.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ElsaB472
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My friends and I stayed here for a bachelorette party. They have free parking, but the lot's pretty small. It's in a little bit of a sketchy area, which was a little disconcerting, but we didn't necessarily feel unsafe. When we walked in, the staff were very nice. The hotel has art hung everywhere, which is cool. We got into our room and it was pretty cool and modern-looking. It had a fridge and microwave, which is always nice. We opened the fridge to put in some wine, and there was an opened can of Four Loko in there. The bathroom was nice, with a really cool sink. One of the lights had burned out, so we went to find a maid we'd seen in the hall. She seemed surprised and said she'd just cleaned the place and it hadn't been burned out at the time, but apologized and gave us a replacement bulb. The whole place had kind of a weird vibe. It was modern and new-looking, but just sort of shabby. There were some little dead bugs on the window sills, some stains on the blankets.. I dunno. I'm pretty germophobic, so I'm very picky about cleanliness, and I didn't feel comfortable walking around barefoot or anything. But none of my friends had any problem with the place. They had a free shuttle, which is nice, but it was an old, shot-out van. I sat in the back and there was half a stamped on cigarette on the floor. The driver and other passengers were very nice, though, and it was fairly prompt with the pick-ups. In the morning, we went down for our free breakfast. The food was good and hot and we managed to snag a table - no complaints there. Overall, the place was alright. We just needed a place to sleep after partying in downtown Milwaukee, so it suited our purposes. I'm not so sure I'd book here for an extended stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank susticv
Reviewed June 22, 2012

**1/2
A really frustrating hotel because everything good about it is counterbalanced by something bad. Pricewise, it's significantly cheaper than hotels located downtown - but it is a solid mile away and in a "sketch" area that's pretty desolate after work hours. I never felt unsafe, but it's not a place I'd enjoy taking an evening stroll, either.
The first night, I called for their $8 airport shuttle and gave the not particularly pleasant "Kayla" my cell # to call if there was a problem. After waiting 45 minutes for the van, I called, and the desk person on the next shift said the van driver had been to the airport and back without seeing me. Turns out, Kayla took my cell number down incorrectly. It took another 45 minutes before I got to the hotel. The nicer woman at the desk billed me only $5 for the trip instead of $8, presumably for the inconvenience. However, she also booked me in room 101 on the ground floor (probably because I was a Priceline customer), which I should have realized immediately would be a mistake. Small, clean, with a very nice bathroom, but only a few feet from the maid's station, the ice machine, the front hallway AND workmen who started hammering at one of the entryways at 7am the next morning. Good luck getting a full night's rest.
The next morning, I immediately requested another room. When I returned from my day's touring (including the truly wonderful fine art museum), they put me in room 414, and I was much happier. The rooms do come with decent cable TV on a widescreen, a working fridge, a microwave and, most importantly, free wi-fi (although the internet was down on my third night).
The air-conditioner is extremely loud BUT when you're in the midst of a heat wave, as Milwaukee was when I was there, it's a huge blessing. Plus it is good for masking hallway and other noises.
There is free shuttle service from the hotel to downtown; just make sure to leave an extra 15 minutes in case the van's running a little late. On the plus side: on my last day, for the $8 airport shuttle, they drove me from a downtown restaurant straight to the airport (rather than my having to come back to the hotel first) - nice.
The complimentary breakfast is nothing to rave about, but there's a waffle maker, some soggy sausage and scrambled eggs, coffee (reg & decaf), some bread/pastries. You won't switch from iHop, but there's enough to get you going in the AM.
Other quick thoughts - dirty elevator, reasonably-priced soda machines, good shower, good beds.
There's definitely a family-run, hotel-in-the-`hood vibe to the place, so if you go in with low expectations, you'll appreciate the amenities. If you expect a *** experience, you'll probably wish you stayed at a Hyatt or something like that - but you'd pay double for it.

Room Tip: Don't be on the ground floor!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The room was clean, which is the only thing nice I can say about the stay. The front desk staff is what ruined our experience. Someone forgot to show up for a shift, so the front desk was unmanned for a length of time. Called for blankets, which never showed up and had to go to the desk to get them. Check in and check out were painful. I was charged for 2 nights and stayed 1 night and needed to call to correct the charges. The shuttle driver drove Mach 2 and my son compared the "drive" to a roller coaster ride. There are individuals that loiter around which gave our family an uneasy feeling. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ahsoka22
Reviewed June 15, 2012

If you are looking for customer service, don't book here. There is NONE. Front desk staff is busy with the friends that visit them there. They loiter about all day long and cook in the tent just out the front door with a grill like they live there. The only hard worker is the lady who does breakfast. She is always busy filling breakfast trays and cleaning up. She also cleans the rooms. And she must have too much to do as our room had a child's toy still in it at the side of the bed where it should have been seen by a vacuum! It was a baseball bat, by the way! And the candy wrapper still under the wastebasket was also a good clue the vacuum job was quick or non existent. The mirror in the bathroom had a few spots on it from my daughter's toothbrush after our first night......we booked two nights.......and they were still there for the second day and on check out. Just saying, when ONE person does all the work, it is tough to do everything. The shuttle everyone talks about was an old van when we stayed there. I wouldn't send my dog in it anywhere or hope it would be safe to ride in. The rooms were modern and artsy and comfortable. Loved the bathroom with the updated top of the counter marble sink. The breakfast was always hot and one of the best we have had in this star rating. We did not have the loud rowdy problems that others mentioned. The fire alarm went off around midnight and no one answered the phone as we called 3 times to the front desk to make sure it was a not a drill. We got our daughter up and ready to go and then called one more time and they finally answered. "some kids on another floor pulled the fire alarm". Ok !Thanks! Couldn't you have made an announcement? Now to try to go back to sleep.........Nightmere! We were there during the week. I was glad my husband was with me and our daughter as we entered and left. A bit of an intimidating environment with the friends always about. Got home to find a $10 charge on our credit card. Supposedly we asked for an upgrade to a king and now would pay extra? Would not book here again due to the uneasy feelings we got. Management needs to step it up!

Room Tip: Try 4th floor.......as far away from the chaos as possible!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank amilia k
gmhotelofthearts, Manager at Days Inn & Suites Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

When the fire alarm goes off whoever works at the desk has to run upstairs to the 2nd floor to turn it off and that would be why no one was answering the phone. Also we can't make announcements throughout the hotel, we do not have a PA system (must hotels don't). I just want them to understand that. The fire alarm was no fault of the hotel and can happen anywhere, a kid did pull it and we turned it off as soon as we could. We only have one front desk employee working at at time. I apologize that this happened on your stay, this is something that hardly ever happens. - .

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Stayed overnight in a 2-Queens Suite. Most unusual room as the beds were right inside the door and the suite part consisted of a separate "hallway" with a desk and micro fridge on the other side of a separating wall...almost as if this was a different type of storage room or business space that converted to another bedroom. That being said...it was tucked in a separate corner of the floor so was out of the way...and therefore was extra quiet. It was clean and the beds were very comfortable. We were in town for a Brewers/Cubs game, on a stopover on our way to visit family, and as mentioned...area wasn't the best, and the hotel was crowded with lots of folks after the game...who were continuing there partying. Security was clearly present and seemed to have a good handle on the situation. Breakfast was very good.
Would stay here again.