“Best wrong turn ever!!!!!”
Review of Ashley's Bar-B-Que

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ashley's Bar-B-Que
Ranked #509 of 1,556 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 7, 2012

On a short trip to Milwaukee from St. Paul, we both were jonesing for Bar-B-Q Friday after we got checked and moved into our hotel. "Bar-B-Que?" "Sounds Great!" "Here's one." "OK, take me there." Fifteen minutes of driving, seven of those with a shadow of worry found us at the door of Ashley's. My advice to all, cast your doubts aside, because you are in for a world of wonderful BBQ!
Rib Tip Dinner, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw and Bread was almost too much flavor for that take-out container; the tender-est tips I’ve ever had. OK, that was my wife's, but she was kind enough to share - WOW. Catfish Filet Dinner, Fries, Cole Slaw and bread, the perfect blend of sweet white catfish meat fried in a spice-tacular coating, it almost hurts to think about it being over.
Funny thing is, we have a couple of places we really like to eat at while in Milwaukee and now one more. Go Ashley's, inside scoop is there will soon be a sit-down on the south-side of town too.

1  Thank T4TwoTravel

Reviewed January 26, 2012

I try and get to Ashley's at least once a month. The food has NEVER been less that "absolutely perfect". I too received calls from owner on separate occasions, concerning the quality of food...where else does that happen? The owner actually cares what you think. He helps me carry my food (I always get a pan or two) to my vehicle. The neighborhood...is fine, I have been down there all hours and have no problems what so ever. Be respectful...just listen to people, take in a little bit of culture this restaurant gives and enjoy the food that this man was blessed in making for us.
Try the Ashley fries they are wonderful along with pan of shoulders or ribs or half/half. Do not try the HOT sauce, unless you are extremely tough...thought I was..NO WAY. Get the mix sauce. Happy eatings.

2  Thank spudman302
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Milwaukee is not known for its bbq and I think I found the place that is going to change that . Growing up in Chicago bbq restaurants are a dime a dozen and was suprised that Milwaukee doesn't have as many. The few that are out there were satisfying my craving . I thought I would have to just settle until one day while driving by Ashley's I decided to stop and give it a try . I was planning on having lunch there but there is no sit down service . It's order thru a window type of place. I decided to order a pulled pork on a bun ,took a few minutes and wow was I SUPRISED . The bbq sauce was amazing, the meat was so tender and juicy, this is Chicago bbq, St. Louis, and Memphis right here in Milwaukee . Forget about where the place is located, just go, YOU WILL BE SUPRISED.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Okay, Milwaukee isn't really known for its barbeque scene, but there are a few places that are at least worth mentioning. Ashley's is one of them. It's not very well known, and I suspect that is due to its location. However, the food is fantastic. I used to work in the area and was craving it, so my one-year-old son and I went for it. I called ahead so our order was ready when we got there, and they also have the option of delivery anywhere in Milwaukee county, with a $20 minimum order.

I ordered the shoulder dinner, tip dinner, and sides of okra and greens. The shoulder meat was amazing, extremely tender and wonderfully smokey. Little bits of crispy edges perfected it. The sauce is very tangy, which I prefer, not a sweet barbeque sauce really at all, and it has a little bite. Lots of pepper. The tip dinner comes with 4 or 5 ribs with the crispy, burnt delicious tips still on. The meat absolutely falls off the bone. Each dinner comes with baked beans, coleslaw and two pieces of white bread. That was all okay, nothing too special. The side of greens was my favorite, aside from the sauce on the meat. The greens are cooked just enough so that they are tender but not soggy. The okra was standard fried okra bites- good, but they may have been frozen out of a box... The price is acceptable, with dinners each between $8-$10, and sides between $2-$5. They have options of different meats like goat and chicken, and also various other cuts of pork, such as snout.

I wish I could review it without addressing where it is, but such is life. The area is not necessarily a place where an out-of-towner (or even a local) would want to venture at night, but during the day is fine. If you're uncomfortable with the neighborhood, either a.) get over it, or b.) call for delivery. I had absolutely no problems there at ~5pm. It's a tiny building with pretty much only takeout, but there are a few chairs inside that could serve as seating I suppose. I think they are only there for people to sit in while they wait for their food. There are no tables.

Overall, I rate this as the best barbeque in Milwaukee, even though there are other places that might be more popular. My thought is that to get a good look at the culture of a place, you need to go where the locals eat (and live) to get the full experience. This is one place that will not only give you a taste of Milwaukee's food, but also it's great people.

Reviewed September 4, 2009

I was a little concerned about the neighborhood so I called ahead for carry out at about 5 pm so I would be able to get in and get out quick. (Yes, maybe a little paranoid).
Boy, am I glad to have stopped. This is the best barbeque in the city, no contest.
The owner greeted me warmly when I walked in to pick up my order (albeit behind the bullet proof glass cash slot that you see in certain parts of the city.) He offered me a take out menu and the weird thing is that after I paid he said that he will call me and ask me how I liked the meal (I ordered the Half and Half shoulder and ribs meal).
As I drive home eating the shoulder from the box on my lap, I get the call from the owner! (I had called in for carryout on my cell phone). I told him that everything was all incredible and congratulated him for making such a good product. Real smoke flavor under a super sauce.
We should support this restaurant because yes, Milwaukee’s BBQ scene is pretty bad. But Ashley’s is the real stuff. I always have liked Speed Queen but Ashley’s is better. The shoulder will make you think out loud “Oh man this is SO GOOD”.
Give it a try. Hopefully if the owner (I wished I had gotten his name)gets more customers from this blog and word of mouth, he can move to a more accessible location with a DRIVE THRU!
People will drive for many miles to eat this barbeque.

1  Thank Ottoburkart