“Awesome food, atmosphere, and time” 5 of 5 bubbles

AJ Bombers
Ranked #34 of 1,502 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Fun. With a side of P-nuts, Burgers and Beer! It's Rube Goldberg meets Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory. Except Rube is into P-nuts and Willy Wonka is into crazy Cheeseburgers. And both are very happy about it. It's just as fun to hang here with your friends or bring the kids for a fun family meal. Order for takeout or delivery on our website, and we can bring the fun to you! By the way, our Milwaukee Burger was declared Winner of the Travel Channel's FOOD WARS. No need for reservations here, just walk-in and have some fun. If there's a wait for a table grab a beverage and some p-nuts and scope out your favorite table. The p-nut delivery system is just the start of the fun, so get in here and grub!
Owasso, Oklahoma
“Awesome food, atmosphere, and time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Ever eat peanuts at a restaurant? Yea. It's been done. But here, they come to your table by a rocket train! The cheese curds, hot wings, and burgers were freakin' awesome. I'm considering moving to Milwaukee now. Enough said.

Visited December 2012

Woodstock, Illinois
“peanut butter on a burger?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

and it works! Saw this place on tv, had to check it out. First and foremost, it's a bar, with bar food, but with a twist. Not many places outside of Canada have poutine, but this place does! Beauty, eh? Burgers are great, especially the buns. Everything is proportioned just right. Not too much bun or too little meat. Want a great burger and a brew (bloody marys are great also), this is the place to go.

• Visited January 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Overrated.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Have tried 3 times and still don't understand why this place gets so much positive pub. Being able to throw peanuts on the ground is about the only good thing I can say.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank brad r
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“We pretty much ordered everything.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

But at AJ Bombers, the ordering process is so easy! They give you a form where you can check-mark, circle, and write specific add-ons to what you want.

We have tried Sobelman's and loved it so we wanted to see what AJ's had going to earn the title "Milwaukee's Best Burger." I ordered the famous Milwaukee Burger with a side of sweet potato chips. Fiance ordered the same burger but with regular fries.

The Buffalo Chicken Eggrolls exceeded my expectations and were actually REALLY good. Their Onion Strings were amazing. And the Poutine. We've never heard or seen anything like it but were told it was the holy grail for all french fry lovers. The menu tells us it's a Canadian favorite. Crispy french fries, topped with cheese curds and gravy. Out of ALL of the food we devoured at AJ's, the poutine is what I loved the most. I would go back just for this dish.

But back to what we came here for! Do I personally think that AJ's has Milwaukee's Best Burger? I have to admit, that although it was good and the meat was cooked perfectly, EATING the burger was a torturous process. As I ate more of it my bread buns became more and more soggy. The larger cuts of onions didn't do good for the eating process either. The burger was tasty but compared to the toastier bread buns and perfectly proportioned toppings of Sobelman's, AJ's comes in second for me. My friend had the Bomber Burger (another burger they had on their menu), and said that THAT one was the best burger he's ever had but he did agree that the bread buns were soggy. Our whole table agreed that they should just combine the bread and toppings of Sobelman's with the patty and cheese of AJ Bomber's to create the ULTIMATE Milwaukee Burger!

As far as great atmosphere, AJ Bombers has it. Decor is awesome and they also have outdoor seating. The whole place is scribbled with everyone's pen and sharpie marks. And it's true about the peanuts. Peanut shells are everywhere and their "peanut bombers" fly above and around the restaurant on tracks to drop off peanuts to different areas. Great place to bring kids, unless of course they're allergic.

Overrall, I would come here for the sides such as the poutine, buffalo chicken eggrolls, and onion strings. Note: I did not like the sweet potato chips that I ordered. They look crunchy but have a rubbery, tough, chewy texture to them. But we all really enjoyed our experience! Our server was very helpful and walked us through everything, answering all of our questions. All of our food came out all together and quickly despite a full house. I'd love to come back for a night of appetizers and drinks with some friends.

• Visited August 2012
Palm Harbor
“Good burger...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Just returned from my trip to Milwaukee. The burgers were good (tried the pretzel roll--yum!) however the fries were only fair. Good atmosphere and attentive wait staff.

• Visited December 2012