“Certified Food Snob”

Smyth In The Iron Horse Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
Smyth In The Iron Horse Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 1,574 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Walker's Point
Cross street: 6th Street
Description: The quintessential experience in Rustic-American cuisine. From individual dining to groups of all sizes - lose yourself in the comfort of the finely appointed dining room, the warm and friendly service, and the beautiful Iron Horse Hotel.
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We are, admittedly, HUGE food snobs. We like to eat at places with Michelin Star and James Beard award winners. We were very impressed by this restaurant. Now I am writing this after only one trip so ~ I cannot speak for consistency yet.

We had the Crab Cake for an appetizer. I have had too many in my life to count. But this one was exceptionally light and almost sweet. It slightly lack seasoning but was still delicious.

We split a pear salad. Again it was near perfect. All I would suggest here would be pine nuts (for example) for a nice crunch. Otherwise it was well dressed and very tasty and a nice size even for two.

My wife had the Lamb Shank which was as delicious as it was beautiful. And the same could be said of my Pork tenderloins. Simple but very well executed dishes.

While there was no "blow me away" creativity, it did not matter because food does not alway have to dazzle to be exceptional. This food WAS exceptional.

2  Thank Bob L
Jason C, Manager at Smyth In The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Bob L

Thanks for your review and for going into detail regarding your experience. The attention to detail across our menus both on the food and beverage side are what we pride ourselves for each and every day. It is always a great benefit to us when self-designated “foodies" take the time to share their perspective since we ourselves are foodies. We look forward to having you back soon and keep in touch as we change all our offerings seasonally for diners just like you. If I can ever assist you in any way please don't hesitate to reach out directly jcotton@theironhorsehotel.com

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Excellent service, great job allowing us to customize our appetizers, entrees perfectly prepared, wine list very solid - we brought our own but we also sampled a few.
We are not desert eaters so no comment on that front. Only minor disappointment was they do not carry any Taylor Fladgate 20year tawny port or Illy coffee, otherwise excellent.

Jason C, Manager at Smyth In The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Mr. Zorba,

Thanks for letting us know how great your experience was in Smyth. We never get tired of seeing positive reviews from our loyal guests. Thanks for the tip on your favorite port. Next time you’re coming this way send me a note and I'll be sure to have a bottle brought in just for you. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance in the future with dining reservations or special touches. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Had a great brunch experience today. Food was very flavorful. They were quite accommodating to my food allergies. Several excellent choices to choose from. We thought it was a a little pricey for the experience. We think $28 would be a fairer price. We will be back but not a place we would visit often.

ktwostark,

Thanks for you feedback regarding brunch and very happy to see your experience was a great one. Next time you’re coming this way please send me a note as I would love to meet you and do something special for you. Thanks again for taking the time to share your review and I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Everything about this place is incredible, the vibe, the service, the facilities, I just LOVE it!... Perfect if you are a relaxed/alternative/upscale type of person.... I stayed at the hotel for a week so I had the opportunity to have meals several times, and I have to say that they never disappointed me, perhaps is not the best food ever, but the overall concept and service, in addition to the food, was just extraordinary... if you are into the typical type of restaurants, then this is not for you, but if you want to enjoy a good time with friends, in a very original place, then I recommend this 100%!

Jason C, Manager at Smyth In The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Thanks for letting us know how great your experience was in Smyth. We never get tired of seeing positive reviews from our loyal guests. You hit the "nail on the head" when speaking about our intuitive service model. It really does bring everything together for our guests alike. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance in the future with dining reservations or special touches. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

As others have stated the ambiance, service and food make for an incredible dining experience. I was in town on a site visit for a future conference and can't wait for my return trip so I can return to Smyth. I will also add staying at the Iron Horse to my wish list. We didn't see a room but the vibe of the lobby was very cool.

Jason C, Manager at Smyth In The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

I am very proud to see that your experience was a great one. We look forward to having you back for this conference and if I can ever be of assistance please let me know.

Warmest