“Better than I expected”

Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Sherman, IL
“Better than I expected”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

After I read reviews, I kind of expected the worst, but that was not the case. Is this in the most beautiful part of the city? Hardly. The expressway runs directly behind the building so ask for a room in the front. There is nothing too close to the hotel but a gas station. It is kind of desolate if you are looking around. The lot is well lit and I never felt afraid. The hotel itself was very nice and the bed gets an A+ for comfort. There was no fridge or microwave and the bathroom was just adequate. The front desk and cleaning staff were very nice. The breakfast area is an attempt but gets a D at best. The eggs were a bit overcooked and salty, the bagel was hard as a rock and the bread was freezer burned on the top. Stick with the Belgian waffles, fruit and yogurt. The attendant was super busy but helpful. The hotel was safe, clean and affordable. Perfect for a good night sleep, but don't expect much else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
pittzkraco
Reviewed April 7, 2011

This hotel surprised me. I arrived in Milwaukee a day early and another area hotel that I had reservations at was full. I needed a easy plan B and prefer Hamptons when I don't have the ability to research a location before hand.

I arrived at the hotel very tired and hungry and was met with a very nice staff that made me comfortable right away.

The complementary food items were very good, they had 3 kinds of chicken wings when I arrived and the breakfast was very good.

I used the pool while I was there and it was very clean and nice.

I almost canceled my reservations a the hotel I stayed at for the next 4 nights because I was taken care of so well at this Hampton, wish I had.

Room Tip: try to stay on the side oppisite the freeway
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2010

The hotel was located in a terrible area of town. It was far away from downtown or the city in general, and was right across the street from a Harley Davidson dealership, where you could hear motorcycles revving (literally) all night long. The room was comfortable and clean, although it smelt of too much strong female perfume. The woman at the front desk was very helpful, and gave us a great tip on the restaurant next door called Athens - if you choose to stay here, I highly recommend getting your dinner from this place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago
Reviewed January 26, 2009

I found the staff and the hotel manager extremely professional and courteous in terms of welcoming me, addressing my concerns, and helping me get around. The hotel itself is not a 4-star-type, but they do have the basic amenities, such as wireless LAN, swimming pool, exercise room, computer area, etc.

• Liked — Hotel staff and anemities
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Alpharetta, GA
Reviewed January 12, 2009

I stayed at this hotel because my company had negotiated price with this hotel. Besides reasonable breakfast, this hotel is a crap and please stay away from it. I am a Hilton Diamond VIP member and the hotel staff has failed on all fronts to offer decent customer service, listen to customer concerns and respond favorably. The manager is biased towards the staff and does not believe when customers offer sincere feedback. To begin with, the room service staff throws away your personal stuff every day. Some days I tried to hide it but I lose it when I forget to hide something. Second, despite frequent requests for a longer internet cable, the staff turned a blind eye to the request and one time, failed to follow up with action when they promised that they will replace it next day. Third, the internet service is the worst. Internet barely works after tough time connecting to wired network. No wireless. Fourth, Hilton advertises several special services to diamond VIP members on all hotel brands. This hotel neither offers ANY such service nor the staff is familiar with services associated with VIP levels.

One of the most disappointing issues I faced is the hair on the bed. The bed had lot of hairs sometimes and the staff did not replace until after more than 2 days of complaints. More than 100s of such inconveniences, it is the attitude of staff towards customers that is disturbing and unwelcome. Hence, I decided to stay away from it for good.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Service and quality
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Aravind M

Travelers are raving about these Milwaukee hotels

Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed September 25, 2008

I've stayed at this location a few times. It's not in a great neighborhood, unless you like strip clubs, and then you're in luck. However, it's right off the highway - easy on/off. Just be sure you get a room on the street side, not the highway.

No wireless in room, only CAT5... they provide an 18" cable. Room was ok. Typical Hampton breakfast. I will say, as a returning Diamond member, I was surprised by the box of hot cookies in the room and nice welcome card from the manager. Had a warm welcome from the desk clerk.

Really, it's just the location I don't like. I definitely wouldn't feel safe walking in the neighborhood.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank MarkDavis
Chicago
Reviewed March 7, 2008

I stayed here twice for business in Feb 2008 and I have stayed at 3 other hotels within 5 miles. The Hampton is clean with nice, new bathrooms and they put out a good breakfast in the morning. There is also a small exercise room. The biggest problem is the noise. Half the hotel faces the highway and rooms on the 2nd-4th floors must listen to trucks roaring by all night. The first floor is much quieter as it is below highway level. Also, the breakfast doesn't start until 6:30AM which can be late for early risers. FInally, I had problems with their wired internet connection both times I stayed there. Better nearby alternatives are the Hilton Garden Inn or the Marriott Courtyard on Brown Deer Rd.

• Stayed February 2008