“Nice, Quiet Stay”

Hilton Milwaukee City Center
Ranked #13 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed July 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton City Center after getting it through Hotwire. First of all, we got it for a great price - cheaper than the Ramada down the road we usually stay at for Summerfest. Secondly, it was in a great location - the Summerfest trolley was right outside the Hilton's door. We were a little worried about the noise after reading some reviews - and it being Summerfest. We were able to check in early and the lady at the front desk was very nice. When she asked us if we had a floor preference I replied, "No, just a quiet room." We were given a corner room on the 16th floor that was very nice. It was bright (had two windows), clean, and the bed was very comfortable. It was also very quiet. The hotel itself was classy and we were pleased. We did not eat or drink at the hotel, however, we were pleased with our stay. The only downside was the high price of parking, however, we still saved money!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
HiltonMilwaukee, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2010

Thank you for sharing your great Summerfest experience at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center! I hope you have plans in place for other summer festivals in Milwaukee to come back and visit!

Jacob Ruck
Night Manager

Reviewed July 2, 2010

this is by far one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in...the walls are paper thin, you can hear everything in the halls, and anything anyone says in their room while you are in yours! The hotel staff working at the front desk are not helpful or patient and the rooms are terribly small. I would recommend you stay anywhere else than here!

1  Thank alwaystravelingin889
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Believe the reviews when you read that the walls are paper thin! I was up all night because I could hear the people in the room next to me. They were not even talking loud so I couldn't complain but I could hear everything! I was given a room right next to the ice machine and I have never heard anything so loud before! The a/c unit was old and so loud and turned on and off all night. I ordered room service 3 times. The dinner I had was decent but my order was not correct for both of my breakfast orders. The food was of very poor quality and seemed like it had been prepped some time in advance. Overall, not a good experience!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

I am glad that you are sharing the issues you experinced during your last stay, so we can learn from and improve our service for future guests. I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel for the issues you expereince both with noise from other guests, and the order mishaps with our in room dining team. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future, and showing you the Hilton we truly are.

Jacob Ruck
Night Manager

Reviewed June 15, 2010

My Mom and I went to the Bead and Button Show, and chose this hotel for the convention center. The staff was friendly, and the housekeeping was great, but there were glitches. We heard everyone in the hallway and in their own room. There was not a chair and table, but a desk and desk chair which was very uncomfortable, so we couldn't do anything like have a meal in the room or sit and work without sitting on the bed or the uncomfortable chair. When we arrived it was rainy, and the window was open and broken, and the air conditioner was out in the whole hotel. I was not comfortable, and it took them awhile to get things in order for us. A side note: This is my usual type of experience with Hilton convention center hotels in general. Good: Close to the free trolley and walk to the convention center was easy (the indoor walkway also goes through to the Hyatt at the other end of the convention center, and there are several good restaurants outside the Hyatt. Nearby: Walgreens, TJ Maxx, convenience and liquor stores, Starbucks downstairs and Dunkin Donuts down the street. Not many out of the hotel restaurants to eat, but the Hyatt and Hilton restaurants were more reasonably priced than other convention center hotels I have stayed at. The place was okay, but I think they get too much money for what they offer. If my mother hadn't been with me, I may have chosen a place where there is a short walk, if you don't mind walking, and if it isn't winter. Milwaukee was awesome! I posted a trip report in the forums.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
HiltonMilwaukee, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2010

Thank you for taking your time to let our future guests know how your stay was for your convention visit! I am glad to see you choose our hotel for its connection to the convention center. I am sorry to hear that you had issues during your stay regarding guest noise and a lack of sitting space in your room. I would recommend that when you come back next year you make reservations for one of our executive parlor suites, they offer a table and chairs, wet bar and also a couch in the room.

Reviewed June 11, 2010

Well - I came to Milwaukee to take a professional exam that I'd been studying for probably close to 6 months for. I bid on a hotel via Priceline and got the Hilton Milwaukee. After winning the bid, I came to TripAdvisor to read the reviews and was a bit ... concerned.

To preface a bit - I parked on the street. In my opinion, the street parking (if available) is perfectly fine. As others have mentioned, the hotel parking is very expensive for Milwaukee.

If you don't like the hotel dining options, just walk a few blocks east and you'll find a few dining options.

The hotel is great - super service - great location. Staff was great. When I checked in, I told the front desk that I was here to take a big test and needed a room that was a little further away from other hotel guests. She gave me a room in the corner of the hotel on one of the higher floors.

However - around 1:45am, there was some trouble down the hallway and I heard a half dozen knocks on a guest door by hotel security. There were some words exchanged and I just heard "Would you like me to call the police?"

Seriously, this was game day for me - and I can't stress how important it was to get a whole night of sleep, and the hotel failed me at that.

Ugh. I complained in the morning, but since I was in a hurry to get out - I didn't take them up on the free breakfast offer by the front desk. I needed sleep - not a free breakfast. Honest to god, I would have paid 3x the amount to get a whole nights sleep.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Hilton Milwaukee City Center for your recent visit. I would like to apologize on behalf of our overnight staff for the issues you faced during the night. Rest assured that we do take noise complaints very seriously, but I am very sorry to have disturbed your night’s sleep dealing with an issue on your floor.

I look forward to your choosing to stay with us in the future and giving us a second chance to win you as a loyal guest.

Jacob Ruck – Night Manager

Reviewed June 10, 2010

After spending a week in Door County, Wisconsin (which is gorgeous!) we stayed one night here before flying out the next day. This hotel has a great location on Wisconsin Street downtown, close to lots of good restaurants, the Riverwalk, and an easy one mile walk to the fantastic art museum and lake front parks. Our room was spotless, the bed was SOOO comfortable, big thick towels, the service was friendly, the price was right. The hotel is a great value! We had a wonderful time and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Your great experience is what we strive for at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center! Thank you for being our guest and for sharing the details about your stay with the Tripadvisor Community. See you soon!

Reviewed June 8, 2010

This was a 5-night stay marked by some really great service and perks and some terrible lapses in service on the part of the hotel.

Overall, this was a fine hotel. I'd rather avoid the "business class" chains whenever possible, but I was there for a convention (Costume-Con), so it was difficult to avoid staying in the convention hotel. It was expensive for what it was, and we were getting a "deal" at $120 a night. Also, Internet was an extra fee. No free breakfast. See why I hate business class hotels? They're basically no frills hotels like Motel 6 with a nice lobby and three times the expense (or more). Grrrr... I'll try to reserve my hatred of these chains and give you a good review.

Unfortunately, the place has no unloading zone, so it was not ideal for a convention of costumers. This was a mistake on the part of the con chair for choosing this hotel, but it's still sad when a hotel doesn't have an unloading zone just for the sake of convenience. Anyway, we kind of pulled in front of the hotel on the street, and the bellmen were nice enough to let us park there while we unloaded. Our bellman was fantastic. He maneuvered both of our carts all the way up to the 11th floor with ease! I hope we tipped him enough!

Our room was an okay size for four people. Thankfully there weren't a bunch of useless pieces of furniture like I see in some rooms (big dressers dominating the room, extra chairs, side tables with cheesy flower pots on them, etc.). Four of us and all of our costumes fit comfortably. The bathroom was fine if a bit small. From talking to our fellow travelers afterward, the hotel was sort of a grab bag of rooms. Some people got bigger bathrooms. Some had separate vanities outside the bathroom (which is always nice when getting in costume/make-up). Some had bigger rooms. Some had differently-shaped rooms. Some had queen-sized beds in the "double bed" rooms. It was like the hotel had 10 or more types of rooms and just sort of stuck you in one.

In general, the front desk staff was great if you were talking to them in person and awful over the phone. You couldn't ask a question on the phone because they'd act like they didn't understand you. For example, we asked for more towels, and they kept asking why we didn't just wait until the morning to get them from the housekeeper. Well, because we only have TWO and we booked a room for FOUR? Anyway, we waited until morning to ask the housekeeper, who was very sweet but couldn't speak English AT ALL. We tried to make things easy on her by waiting until she got there each morning and giving her all of the things we wanted exchanged.

Getting a package I had sent to the front desk was surprisingly time-consuming. They seemed to have lost it for several minutes while all of the staff plus two bellmen went looking for it. I finally got it, but it was just bizarre.

The convention area was fine. They didn't put a water station in the main ballroom during the little "appetizers" function on Friday, but we found one in another room and told people. Still, a lapse on the part of the hotel staff. If there's food, there needs to be water, even if there is a cash bar. There really wasn't much signage in the hotel, so it took a while to figure out where all of the rooms were. By the second day, I was directing non-convention hotel guests to their wings of the hotel. There were a lot of little "secret passages" and elevators that didn't hit every floor (although they weren't marked that way from the outside). Just sort of a weird place. Also, no third floor, which confused the heck out of me for the first 24 hours or so.

We couldn't get our hotel room cold, but the meeting rooms were cold. Some people thought that was bad, but I'm sure that's what the con chair requested since many of us were wearing period underthings or vinyl.

One very weird thing was the business center. Their computers were all "swipe and use". You had to run your credit card through them and choose Word, Internet Explorer, or a couple of other programs for timed sessions. I've never seen that before. I guess it's the new thing in "business class" hotels. Very convenient for business travelers and all. /sarcasm

They didn't have a swimming pool, but they did have a water park inside which was only open two days per week. Useless.

The worst issue came during our next-to-last day, when our smoke alarm started beeping like the battery was dead. We called the front desk, and they sent a guy up. The guy took a look at it, didn't even open the cover, and said, "It doesn't have a battery, so that's not it." He assured us someone would fix it. We came back later that afternoon to find it still beeping. We called the front desk, and they said, "Oh, that's already been fixed." No. It hasn't. I'm in the room, and it's still beeping. I was assured that it would be fixed by evening. We got back that evening to find it STILL beeping. We called the front desk, and they said, "Well, we can move you to another room." With all of our stuff? You'd better make it worthwhile. Well, they gave us free parking and free breakfast (which was nice), so I guess it was okay. Still, can't someone just open it up and see if the backup battery is dead or something? Geez... wonder if that room is just quarantined or something now since they won't actually look at it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for visiting Milwaukee for the Costume Con Convention! I am sorry to hear about the short comings you experienced during your stay but rest assured they are being addressed. I look forward to speaking with you in greater detail about the mishaps you endured to ensure they do not affect any guests in the future