“Great location but stay somewhere else”

Hilton Milwaukee City Center
Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location but stay somewhere else”
Reviewed March 10, 2007

When you think of the Hilton, you think upscale. Not at this location. We stayed on the 10th floor which had a strong musty odor in the hallways. The bath towels were dingy and gray in color instead of being a crisp white color. We called the front desk two times and both times we were brought dingy, gray tinged towels. It took my husband bringing them down to the front desk of the lobby to have them exchanged for brand new pure white towels. The next morning, we followed the Hilton's direction on how to request keeping the same towels to "conserve water" but they didn't follow their own rules and we were back to having gray, dingy towels after housekeeping swapped them out. On our final day of stay, housekeeping did not clean our room until after 5 p.m. They left the toilet paper roll empty and pillows were left on the floor!

Skip the overpriced & undercooked breakfast in the hotel.

The hotel staff was nice & accomodating but if this Hilton is skimping on having clean bath towels, it makes you wonder what else they are skimping on.

We would recommend you stay at another downtown hotel. They are all close in proximity to provide an equally good location to all events.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Twobings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 17, 2007

We booked a special for $99 a night on Expedia, and I wasn't expecting much. After a REALLY long wait to check in (there were about 30 people queued up), we were pleasantly surprised by how nice the room was. The beds in this hotel are outstanding, and the rooms are decorated tastefully. My only problems were how long it took to check in (almost 45 minutes in line!!!!) and the fact that there's a waterpark in the hotel, so there are a ton of kids running around in the afternoon. The location is also great, but I'd suggest skipping the Miller Lite Bar downstairs- it's really smoky and they had some awful entertainment. There's also a full Starbucks in the lobby, which is awesome (read: not a coffee kiosk that sells Starbucks coffee). Overall, this was a pretty good bargain- I'd definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Matt G
chicago
Reviewed February 17, 2007

OK I know it is Pres day weekend but come on, the wait to check in was 45 mins then the rooms were not ready. The waterpark was way overcrowded and good for 1-4 year olds very small. There were no where enough tables or chairs for the number of guests, the elevator wait was a good 10mins. We saw people in the waterpark without wristbands because you can enter from the snack bar upstairs, when my husband told the lifeguard they said they would take care of it but didnt walked right by without a word. We got coupons from the internet and left $25s worth on our table at the Miller Pub by accident, the waitress said she found them turned them in but they cant find them so oh well. After many chats with the hotel guest services they finally reissued the coupons. If you are going on business and want a nice old room this is the place for you. If you are going with your family for a waterpark, skip it and go to Blue Harbor or Timber Ridge way better parks and not nearly as overcrowded.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank chicagomomof4
Massapequa, New York
Reviewed February 17, 2007

Beware of the charges for the bottled water which will appear on your credit card statement whether or not you open them. This happened to everyone in my travel group. They quickly agreed to reverse the charges when challenged. Otherwise a decent hotel in a good location.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank luvtotravel06
Madison, WI
Reviewed January 9, 2007

The Hilton Milwaukee City Center is an old friend - partly because of its beautiful and well-restored architectural decoration, partly because of the reliable service levels.

The common spaces range from elegant to splendid (the Crystal Ballroom is particularly breathtaking), and the guest rooms show signs of recent refurbishment. My room was clean and current with a crisp white comforter, lots of pillows, and up-to-date color scheme. In-room amenities were respectable. Shower had, thankfully, the curved rod so that the shower curtain hangs away from your body rather than trying to envelop you in other people's who-knows-what from previous showers. (Why every property doesn't install these rods is a mystery).

Front desk staff was a civilized, smooth and friendly professional and very gracious. Bellman was a young feller with not a lot of experience but quite friendly, patient and helpful with my somewhat scatterbrained requests.

Restaurants - the ChopHouse is dependable, warm, and delicious with a menu and service that can compete with any big-city chophouse experience. Service is thoroughly professional and knowledgeable, and menu is tempting and well-executed. The cafe for daytime dining continues to plop out uninspired food that resembles Perkins quality but with much higher prices. The contrast between the two dining experiences is an odd, schizophrenic disconnect. Eg: the Caesar salad from the Chop House had an exciting presentation and big, whole anchovy (people at our table oohed and aahed); in the cafe around the corner it was iceberg lettuce from a bag with some boxed croutons and bagged cheese thrown on top, anchovies promised on menu but left off, and added shrimp for $6.00 consisted of three medium shrimp.

If you have extra time, wander through the grand spaces on the 5th floor.

• Liked — Competence of staff, elegance of common areas
  • Disliked — Cafe food
  • Tips/Secrets — Skip the cafe and go out to lunch, check out the ballroom on same floor as reception - wowee!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Marge246
Wisconsin
Reviewed December 29, 2006

We had to go to Milwaukee for an appointment this week (December 28) and thought we'd make a mini-vacation out of it with our 5 1/2 year old son, who LOVES waterparks!
The hotel itself was decent. The room was clean and nicely decorated.
The Waterpark was attractive, but small, which we expected. There were slides for most ages (toddler - 7 or 8) but nothing really exciting. The down side: The water was barely warm, to the point that we were all cold within 10 minutes. Also, my son was just short enough not to be able to go down 2 of the 3 "big" slides and they didn't allow us to go down with him. They did offer a swim test, which would have allowed him to go down the slides if he would have passed, which was nice. But again, after 45 minutes, we were all cold and ready to go. There was an arcade, too, but we play enough video games at our house, so we avoided it.
The choices for hotel restaurants were: The bar and grill (casual), the cafe (also casual - but no bar), and a steakhouse (expensive! and not kid-friendly). We went down and had a burger in the bar, which was enjoyable, and had breakfast at the cafe, which ended up being very expensive and the service was very slow. We were disappointed that there weren't any other family-friendly restaurant options, other than the over-priced fast food served in the waterpark. You could also order room-service or call for pizza delivery.
Summary: if you have to go to Milwaukee for some reason and want a nice place to stay that your small children will enjoy, this may be a good option for you. Just be prepared for a cold swim!!

• Liked — The Location and the Waterpark
  • Disliked — The waterpark was cold
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank travelfiendsWI
Illinois
Reviewed November 11, 2006

I had a last-minute business trip to Milwaukee. I needed a hotel close to the company I was consulting for. The Hilton reviews weren't that great, but the other hotels were either sold out or out of walking distance. When I tried to book a room, only smoking rooms were available. But I booked anyway, since the hotel was only a block away from my client.

I was concerned about service since the hotel was fully booked. I was pleasantly surprised. I asked the young lady at the front desk if they happened to have any non-smoking rooms available. She said no, but she gave me free Internet access for the three days of my stay. She said to let them know if the smoke smell was particularly bothersome -- they could do some ionizing.

The room did have a smoker smell, but otherwise, it had a nice traditional decor with a great bed. The Internet access worked flawlessly -- I was connected in no time and there was only one very brief outage. The doormen were very friendly and helpful. One watched my luggage while I ran a quick errand. The bellman booked a shuttle back to the airport for me.

The room cost $199 per night, but it was well worth it, with the great service I got and since I didn't have to take cabs to my client location. I'd stay again, but would rather get a non-smoking room next time!

• Liked — Friendly, helpful staff
  • Disliked — Only smoking rooms were availble
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MicroMiz