“Beware of the "accidental" charges on your credit card statement!”

Hilton Milwaukee City Center
Ranked #13 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed February 17, 2007

Beware of the charges for the bottled water which will appear on your credit card statement whether or not you open them. This happened to everyone in my travel group. They quickly agreed to reverse the charges when challenged. Otherwise a decent hotel in a good location.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank luvtotravel06
Write a ReviewReviews (2,254)

Reviewed January 9, 2007

The Hilton Milwaukee City Center is an old friend - partly because of its beautiful and well-restored architectural decoration, partly because of the reliable service levels.

The common spaces range from elegant to splendid (the Crystal Ballroom is particularly breathtaking), and the guest rooms show signs of recent refurbishment. My room was clean and current with a crisp white comforter, lots of pillows, and up-to-date color scheme. In-room amenities were respectable. Shower had, thankfully, the curved rod so that the shower curtain hangs away from your body rather than trying to envelop you in other people's who-knows-what from previous showers. (Why every property doesn't install these rods is a mystery).

Front desk staff was a civilized, smooth and friendly professional and very gracious. Bellman was a young feller with not a lot of experience but quite friendly, patient and helpful with my somewhat scatterbrained requests.

Restaurants - the ChopHouse is dependable, warm, and delicious with a menu and service that can compete with any big-city chophouse experience. Service is thoroughly professional and knowledgeable, and menu is tempting and well-executed. The cafe for daytime dining continues to plop out uninspired food that resembles Perkins quality but with much higher prices. The contrast between the two dining experiences is an odd, schizophrenic disconnect. Eg: the Caesar salad from the Chop House had an exciting presentation and big, whole anchovy (people at our table oohed and aahed); in the cafe around the corner it was iceberg lettuce from a bag with some boxed croutons and bagged cheese thrown on top, anchovies promised on menu but left off, and added shrimp for $6.00 consisted of three medium shrimp.

If you have extra time, wander through the grand spaces on the 5th floor.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Marge246
Reviewed December 29, 2006

We had to go to Milwaukee for an appointment this week (December 28) and thought we'd make a mini-vacation out of it with our 5 1/2 year old son, who LOVES waterparks!
The hotel itself was decent. The room was clean and nicely decorated.
The Waterpark was attractive, but small, which we expected. There were slides for most ages (toddler - 7 or 8) but nothing really exciting. The down side: The water was barely warm, to the point that we were all cold within 10 minutes. Also, my son was just short enough not to be able to go down 2 of the 3 "big" slides and they didn't allow us to go down with him. They did offer a swim test, which would have allowed him to go down the slides if he would have passed, which was nice. But again, after 45 minutes, we were all cold and ready to go. There was an arcade, too, but we play enough video games at our house, so we avoided it.
The choices for hotel restaurants were: The bar and grill (casual), the cafe (also casual - but no bar), and a steakhouse (expensive! and not kid-friendly). We went down and had a burger in the bar, which was enjoyable, and had breakfast at the cafe, which ended up being very expensive and the service was very slow. We were disappointed that there weren't any other family-friendly restaurant options, other than the over-priced fast food served in the waterpark. You could also order room-service or call for pizza delivery.
Summary: if you have to go to Milwaukee for some reason and want a nice place to stay that your small children will enjoy, this may be a good option for you. Just be prepared for a cold swim!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank travelfiendsWI
Reviewed November 11, 2006

I had a last-minute business trip to Milwaukee. I needed a hotel close to the company I was consulting for. The Hilton reviews weren't that great, but the other hotels were either sold out or out of walking distance. When I tried to book a room, only smoking rooms were available. But I booked anyway, since the hotel was only a block away from my client.

I was concerned about service since the hotel was fully booked. I was pleasantly surprised. I asked the young lady at the front desk if they happened to have any non-smoking rooms available. She said no, but she gave me free Internet access for the three days of my stay. She said to let them know if the smoke smell was particularly bothersome -- they could do some ionizing.

The room did have a smoker smell, but otherwise, it had a nice traditional decor with a great bed. The Internet access worked flawlessly -- I was connected in no time and there was only one very brief outage. The doormen were very friendly and helpful. One watched my luggage while I ran a quick errand. The bellman booked a shuttle back to the airport for me.

The room cost $199 per night, but it was well worth it, with the great service I got and since I didn't have to take cabs to my client location. I'd stay again, but would rather get a non-smoking room next time!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MicroMiz
Reviewed October 19, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a four night stay at the Hilton
City Center. We had a nice corner room on the 17th floor. The
room was large and at the very end of the hall so there was little
noise. The beds were very comfortable and the view from our
room was great. We parked right across the street for $6 a day,
rather than paying the $20 a day parking fee at the hotel.

We ate at the Miller Time Pub and the Chop House at the hotel.
The Chop House was great and the Miller Time Pub was good.
We walked around the corner from the hotel and ate breakfast
at the Midwest Diner-a good value and good food.

We walked to the Third Ward one day for lunch at the Wicked
Hop-very nice atmosphere and good food. We really enjoyed
walking around the public market.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank nlg
Reviewed October 8, 2006

Great hotel. The lobby and common areas are beautiful--lots of charm and class. They really are unusually nice.

Based on previous postings on this site, I was a little apprehensive about the rooms before I arrived. But our room (#2023) was wonderful--large, clean, well appointed, and it had a wonderful view.

The staff was friendly and helpful.

I would certainly stay again in this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chicago_Traveler_2
Reviewed October 6, 2006

Stayed at the Hilton city center Sept 24-29th for a business conference. Lobby and elevators were reminiscent of 1940's style decor, with gold gilding and frescos on the ceilings and elevators.

The checkin/checkout process was fantastic, after explaining that my husband had joined me at the last minute, the front desk staff graciously gave me a very nice king sized room on the 20th floor. The bed and pillows were one of the most comfortable that I have experienced at a hotel. Room and bathroom were clean, although there was obvious signs of wear in the bathroom, it was nice and functional (albeit a bit small compared to the room size).

Staff was friendly throughout the hotel and gave us excellent recommendations for food and drinking establishments nearby. We didn't eat at the restaurants in the hotel, although the millertime bar has great happy hour - get there between 4-7pm and drinks are half price, with some beer only costing $1.50 a glass!

We didn't rent a car, so I can't comment on the valet or parking area. I just know that $20 a day is a crazy amount to pay for a parking space! The water park was also closed for the winter, so we only peeked through the windows and couldn't really see much. It didn't look overly huge as it is all indoors, but it looked like it could be fun for young children.

My only complaints are: 1) the wireless internet connection did not work in every room, so several of my coworkers had to change rooms to get service, and 2) the airconditioning units could use some upgrading. Since it is an old hotel, they don't have forced air. The in room units were noisy at times, and tended to turn on and off frequently during the night.

My coworkers stayed on the 7th floor (they were the ones with the internet problem) and their rooms were much smaller than the one that we were in on the 20th floor.

I would definitely stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank saddith