“historic building”

Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
atlanta, ga
“historic building”
Reviewed March 30, 2010

The hotel is very pretty and has a very historic feel. The people there were all very nice. I ate in the sports bar on Sunday and thought the food was very good quality. I just did not sleep well at this hotel. The hotel is very close to a freeway and there is no fan option on the a/c unit--the only option is auto-fan so it shuts on and off therefore I had intermittent traffic noise during my stay. I called housekeeping to see if I could borrow a fan for my room and she said they did not have any. The bed was very comfortable but I couldn't really sleep because of the fan issue. My colleague had kids running up and down the hall over by her room and the guy in the room next to hers was in and out all night (she said the walls were paper thin so she heard everything he did). If I had a choice I would not say here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank barbiflys
HiltonMilwaukee, Jacob Ruck - Hotel Night Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, April 6, 2010
Thank you for visiting our hotel on your recent trip to Milwaukee. I am sorry to hear that you could hear the traffic from the freeway, and that our housekeeping team was unable to provide you with a fan or any other white noise so you could sleep.
I am glad you enjoyed out historic Hilton property as well as our great staff!
Please contact me directly the next time you are traveling to Milwaukee!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Korean first
travelwiz07
Reviewed March 28, 2010

I trul enjoyed my stay at the Hilton. Elegant marble, responsive staff, great breakfast buffet. i loved the older style tub and had a long soak, the view towards the lake on a high floor was incredible, considering the distance. All was quiet. I booked on priceline, love that they send me to places I never would have visited any other wayI. i would stay here again and again. i travel alot and enjoyed this historic hotel. Doormen were particularly helpful and knowledgeable about the area. Loved that cabs were always available, but none are needed, restaurants, mall and arena are withing walking distance.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank travelwiz07
Great to hear about your wonderful time at our hotel and in Milwaukee! The view of downtown from our top floors is second to none, and the historic feeling of hotel is unmatched in the Midwest.
I hope to see you back soon, maybe for a visit to one of the many summer festivals!
Idaho
Reviewed March 28, 2010

I attended a conference at the Hilton City Center and was delighted by my stay. The room was comfortable and well-equipped, the architecture was beautiful, and the staff incredibly helpful. The $10 daily charge for wi-fi was absurd, but the hotel had free wi-fi in the lobby and on-site Starbucks. Very nice fitness center. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank KatherineID
Thank you for sharing conference experience! I hope we will see you back for business in the future, or pleasure this summer! Thank you for staying with us.
Elkhorn, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I stayed at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center on March 20th with my sister-in-law. I had booked my room via priceline and did get an AMAZING deal, so I feel inclined to say that the value was high. I live near Milwaukee and have stayed at three comparable hotels in the downtown area (Hyatt, Intercontinental, Hotel Metro) and must say that this was the worst experiance I've had. We arrived at the hotel around 5 pm for check-in; this was completed in a very timely manner considering the fact that the hotel was slammed with out-of-town guests for the NCAA tournements taking place. I had previously called in and requested a double room, but was informed at check-in that I was given a king room. Normally, that'd be wonderful... but I truly wanted a double. I requested a room change and the change was granted.

We were put on the 7th floor which smelled heavily of chlorine from the pool. Also, I believe someone had been smoking in our room prior to our arrival. As I have very sensitive allergies, this was a bit dissapointing but not necessarily the hotel's fault. The room itself was clean enough, although I did find a sock under the bed. I don't mean that it was shoved way under the bed; it was visible once I took the top blanket off the bed. That made me a bit nervous that perhaps the room hadn't been vacuumed. Also, the room was incredibly warm. We even turned the heat down to 60 just to try to cool it off. I don't know if it was because of the pool humidity or if our thermostat was broken, but it never cooled off. We called the lobby around 6:30 pm and it rang several times before I hung up, frustrated. Thank goodness it wasn't a bigger problem I was calling in regards to.

We eventually ventured out for the night and returned around one am to experience the hotel bar. This is silly, but I was incredibly dissapointed that the bar closed at 1:30. Bar time in Milwaukee is almost always 2:30, but I understand that with the noise of people returning to their rooms the hotel would have to be accomidating. One of my friends went to use the rest room outside the hotel bar and the rest room door was locked - not as though it was being used, but instead as though it were completely out of order (with no accompanying sign). With that said, it looked as though someone had attempted to go into the restroom to be ill but didn't make it... there was vomit on the floor. I didn't personally witness it and am unsure if this was reported.

Actually sleeping in the room was difficult. The pillows were very flat (although soft!) and as the room never cooled off in the hours we were absent, it was a bit stiffiling. There were an insane amount of kids running around the hallway at around 4 am (as there was in the evening, I'm assuming going to and from the waterpark). Also, housekeeping knocked on our door at 9:30 am. We had not yet checked out and in fact hadn't even woken up yet, so this was a bit rude.

Final thoughts: the lobby was insanely gorgeous, very ornate and beautiful. The hallways were dimly lit and a bit creepy. The elevators were quick (a bonus!). The parking garage was outrageously expensive ($24!!! Seriously?!). The bed was comfortable enough. The bathroom was very small and the toilet was industrial for a Hilton (I've stayed at both the Hilton in downtown Chicago and by SeaTac in Seattle and neither were quite so... dingy). They need to work on the ventilation so that their guests don't come home smelling like 'pool' without stepping near the waterpark. I didn't work out, but the gym facilities looked very nice. They obviously needed more people working the front desk and I think communications need to be improved. I will not be staying here again, simply because I know there are far better options in Milwaukee.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank buffya84
HiltonMilwaukee, Jacob Ruck - Hotel Night Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, March 27, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about the short comings during your most recent stay at our hotel. I am glad to see our Front Desk team took care of your reservation challenges and was able to place you in a room with two double beds for the night.
I do apologize that it seemed like our Miller Time Pub was closing early at 1am but we do stay open until 2am on Friday and Saturday nights. We do close at midnight on Sunday evenings and 1 am Monday through Thursday.
With our renovations we are adding new light fixtures to our guest room hallways and as you mentioned we have upgraded our fitness center to include state of the art PreCor equipment as well as doubling the overall size.
I look forward to talking with you further about your stay, and having the chance to welcome you back in the near future!
Green Bay, WI
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Hotel is beautiful and nice to see the historic architecture maintained through the renovations. Staff was very friendly and accomodating, location to where we needed to go downtown was perfect, rooms were clean and updated. The ONLY thing that I was not crazy about was the $24 a night charge for parking.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RWindy
Thank you for letting others know that even though the Hilton Milwaukee City Center is currently undergoing renovations we are not disturbing any of the historical details that makes our hotel great! We have added new carpeting and marble floors in our lobbies, new carpeting and wall coverings throughout our guest floors, and in the rooms we have added brand new HD LCD TV’s, new carpeting and custom made furniture.
I would agree that we do have a great staff here, and we love it when you feel like you are at a home away from home. With summer fast approaching we have a great location for Summerfest, Germanfest, Irishfest, Bastille Days, Jazz in the Park (on Thursdays @ Cathedral Square Park) and so many other great festivals that truly makes Milwaukee come alive.
With the 24 dollars that is charged for our parking garage you do receive access to come and go from the hotel, and also a covered parking spot for your vehicle, which is great when it rains or snows.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our City of Festivals soon!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Comfortable, elegant, quiet, relaxing, historic, stylish.

Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MichelleH5
Thank you for taking the time to let others know about your great vacation to Milwaukee. We always appreciate it when guests let us know how we are doing!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Milwaukee this summer.
wisconsin
Reviewed February 17, 2010

Got a good room rate through priceline. If booking direct I would try another hotel. The location is not too bad but I like to stay closer to water street. A previous poster thought the parking was too long of a hike from the ramp to the hotel. I think its plenty close. There was a Marquette game that night so we also had some noisy neighbors. The biggest issue I had was smoking. We are non smokers and the last thing I want is to breath someone else's smoke when I am trying to sleep. I asked when leaving if they have a smoking floor and was told the 5th floor. I don't think the smoke came from there.... we were on the 15th. A lot of other hotels will warn you about some BIG extra fee's for smoking in the room, this hotel does not and I don't think they do enough to prevent this from happening. You would think this is a fire hazard and they would.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johnnybwis2
HiltonMilwaukee, Jacob Ruck - Front Office Supervisor at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2010
I appreciate you taking your time to leave the Hilton Milwaukee City Center your review about your recent weekend with us! Tripadvisor is a great resource for our guests to get the inside word on what is happening at hotels, and also a great tool for hotels to interact with our guests after they depart. Our parking garage is connected directly to our hotel via a walkway; the 2nd level of our parking garage takes guest directly to check in at the Front Desk. This connection does keep guests inside while entering the hotel from the garage, rather than an outside path to registration.
I would like to apologize for the nuisance to you regarding second hand smoke in your guest room. Our only two smoking areas in the hotel are the Miller Time Pub and our 5th floor guest rooms but from time to time guests do choose to smoke in a non smoking room. We do have posted warnings about the charges associated with smoking in non smoking areas of the hotel and the monetary fines that are associated. These rules and hotel regulations are enforced by both our Security and our Housekeeping Management teams throughout each day.
Beginning July 5th, 2010 the entire State of Wisconsin will be smoke free with an enactment of a smoking ban in all restaurants, taverns and hotel rooms, making our hotel entirely smoke free.