Hilton Milwaukee City Center
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$136
$142
$129
Doubletree.com
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Regency Milwaukee(Milwaukee)(Great Value!)
$134
Ambassador Hotel(Milwaukee)(Great Value!)
$129
  • Restaurant
The Iron Horse Hotel(Milwaukee)
$189
Travelocity
The Pfister Hotel(Milwaukee)
$203
$178
  • Pool
$99
2,285 results
All reviewsmiller time pubchop houselower lobbymonarch loungethe executive loungegrand old hotelbeautiful hotelcorner roombeautiful lobbyparking garageold world charmper dayenjoyed my stayking roombed was very comfortablethe room was nicebradley center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I stayed at the Hilton city center for four days in July 2009.

First impression was that this old hotel is seriously impressive. The lobby and entrance are beautiful early 20th century American architecture. Everything is first class: marble, thick carpets, gold leaf.

The rooms were equally impressive. I've stayed at other hotels in downtown cores with miniscule rooms. The Hilton doesn't have large rooms, but they are adequately sized. The cleanliness was second to none. I would have ate off of anything in the room. The bathrooms are gorgeous, bed covers beautiful. A+

The service wasn't incredible, but they were always courteous and professional. I bought my tickets online, and I don't think that made a difference in service.

The location is great. It's close to everything: lakefront, shopping, businesses, museums. My tip is to park on the street or in another lot in the city.

Another thing I'd like is free wifi. Why can't big hotels have this free? How about cancel the cable and give us wifi?

Also, the restaurants in the hotel (Starbucks, a bar, steak house and a cafe) are great. First class all the way.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Just returned from a 2 nite stay. Paid $45/nite through priceline. Parking garage was easy to access, but very full and spaces were hard to find. There was a section designated 20 min parking for registration. All the spots were taken, which was interesting figuring no one was in line at the registration desk.

Check in was easy enough, no problems there. Checked in around 7pm. Had to walk all the way past the banquet rooms to get to our room. Immediately noticed all the dirty dishes and trays outside our door in the hallway. These items remained there until the next day. My first impression was that this was the "priceline" section, especially since there were big bags of linens and dirty trays in the hall, and the room was smaller than my first dorm room!

My big concern came when I entered the hotel room and found the connecting door to the next room wide open, which does not provide a sense of security or well being as a first impression. There were NO towels! We were heading out to dinner so I called down to the desk and asked for towels. There was no apology on the phone, just ok fine. When we returned there were 3 towels on the bed- no washclothes, no bath mat for the floor, so we had to use one of the towels on the floor, and with 4 of us (2 kids and 2 adults) that left us very short of towels. The next day our room was not made up until late in the day, so we just had those 2 used towels for that morning and afternoon as well. When our room was made up the next nite, we saw what we were missing- washclothes, hand towels, bath towels, and a bath mat. Apparently our room had not been made up at all prior to our arrival.

What was truly my braking point was the last morning when I was looking around to make sure I had all my kids' toys, I found a pacifier on the floor- what a great cleaning job they had done prior to our arrival- NOT! Yuck!

We used the waterpark while we were there, for a discounted rate of $8/person with a coupon. Not worth it! Water was cold, all the games in the arcade were broken. My kids (both age 7 yrs old) were bored in less than an hour and did not want to go back again that night.

As I was checking out, I brought down the pacifier and politely explained all of my concerns and the clerk kindly removed the waterpark charge from our bill.

The hotel's location is excellent, though, and we were able to walk to many sites and restaurants from the hotel. Avoid George Webb's- so disgusting! The women's toilet was overflowing with toilet paper and the toilet paper dispensers were empty, and the bathroom reeked of cigarette smoke. And the food was horrible.

I can highly recommend Capone's Grotto- the chicken soup was the best I've ever tasted- my kids were literally licking the bowls. The pasta was fresh and the serving was huge! I also recommend Joey Buona's pizzeria and beef- the kids' pizzas were large and really well cooked, and the beef was very good and reasonably priced as well.

avoiding applebee's is a good idea- no fresh food here. everything we ordered appeared to have been frozen and reheated, and not even reheated well. poor service also.

next time I think we will stay in brookfield.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank sr5242
HiltonMilwaukee, Front Office Supervisor at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2009

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel for the lack of housekeeping service you received during your stay. As you mentioned it is standard to have your bathroom fully stocked and the 2 towels are not up to our standards much less your own! During future visits please give our Front Desk or Housekeeping team a call (no matter the time) so we can assist in providing the amenities that are needed in your room. We do not have any room designations based on how a reservation was booked, when you return I encourage you to ask for a room on the top floor, we have great views of the Milwaukee Skyline!

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for the positive notes regarding our great location, ease of parking, and the speed of your check in. I regret the rest of your stay was not deserving of a 5 star review but we do look forward to having you as a guest in the future to see the 5 star service we can deliver!

Reviewed June 30, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center on the opening night of Summerfest. Upon arrival in the mid-afternoon, the lobby was packed (and I was aware ahead of time that the hotel was probably at capacity, if not fully booked), but the front desk staff were quick, friendly and keeping things moving. Our room had been booked well in advance, yet we were surprised to have been given a room with a handicapped-accessible bathroom. I don't really consider this a "problem" but it did make me wonder if any of the wheelchair-bound patrons in the lobby weren't able to procure this type of room for themselves (just while waiting to check-in I saw 4 people in wheelchairs). Anyway, this type of bathroom does not have a bathtub, but rather just a large floor with a drain and a fold-down seat inside the shower area which was disgustingly mildewy, making me feel sorry for any handicapped person that would be forced to use it! I didn't mind the setup terribly, but the lack of tub surround allowed water to splash all over the rest of the bathroom floor while showering which was not entirely graded toward the drain forcing us to cover the floor with towels (see photo). Let's just say that a handicapped shower is not what one would want unless they need it! The toilet seat in the shower was scratched deep into the plastic, making it rather uncomfortable to sit on (if management is reading this, I forgot to mention this to the front desk....it was room 648). It did make us want to ask for a different room, but we knew the hotel was full, we were already somewhat settled, and we were more concerned with getting something to eat and making to the concert on time.

Our room was a typical average-size hotel room and was clean, but rather stuffy upon our arrival. It was in the high 90's and humid that day, so we turned the air on and left it running while we were at the festival. When we returned late that night, we were disappointed to find that the room was still just as hot and stuffy as it was when we left, and though blowing, the condensor had never kicked on thus not cooling the room. We notified the front desk who sent maintenance up, told us to turn it off for 5 minutes then turn it on again and listen for the condensor to kick on, which it did, ONCE....cooled the room down, but then the condensor never kicked on again when the blower started, thus making us have to turn it off, wait 5 minutes, then restart it every 1/2 hr or so throughout the night. At about 3am, it suddenly started cycling on it's own...but by then it had been long night of periodically waking from the heat and getting up to play the shut off/restart game.

Our bed was wonderfully comfortable...so much that we took a photo of the mattress/boxspring tags so that we could order one like it for ourselves at home. The sheets were clean and high-quality, the duvet was soft and cozy and the pillows were fluffy and inviting!

Only other problems...the TV volume didn't seem to work properly and I noticed that it took a rather long time (over 10 minutes) of leaving the water run to get hot in the bathroom sink (which really never got HOT, but rather just lukewarm). On the upside, the front desk was always helpful & friendly (giving us a recommendation for a late-night pizza delivery service w/phone number) and the maintenance man who came to fix our air was prompt and friendly. In a word, the staff is excellent....which can often be half the battle in hotels. We have little doubt that they would have been more than willing to accomodate us in changing rooms if we had made the request (and if they were physically capable of doing so...between Summerfest and a convention, I'm sure they were swamped).

We had a quick bite in the Miller Time Pub which was okay for a quick meal...wish we could have tried The Chop House instead, but no time! Waitress & bartender were extremely friendly and our meal was decent even though they, too, were packed!

Overall, yes, I would stay again. Friendly and helpful staff. Clean and comfortable beds, but the bathroom seemed to need a little more attention, especially for your handicapped patrons that would need that shower chair!! Would specifically request a standard (non-handicapped) room in the future, but it was good enough for one night.

Parking was somewhat overpriced ($24 for overnight) but convenient.

(note - I am a Hilton Honors Silver member and stay exclusively at Hilton properties when possible. This room was booked using my points, so I did not have to "pay" for this room. I will admit that if I was a paying customer, I would have been disappointed if this room had cost more that $99 for the night, but I am unsure of what the rate was for that day. I do find it a shame that it seems whenever I book a room using my points, it seems that I get subpar rooms...one would think that Hilton would treat their loyal customers with a little higher regard....Makes me consider switching to Marriott's loyal customer program).

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

I am glad to see that you took advantage of our hotel during Summerfest! We are just a 15-minute walk to the lakefront through the downtown of Milwaukee. We do strive to make your check in as quick and efficient as possible, so it is great to hear that with a long line we kept things moving! I would like to apologize for the bathroom in your room. We appreciate the feed back and I did pass onto our maintenance team the toilet seat damage and the flooding of the shower! It is always good to hear the good and the bad so I thank you for mentioning the great staff in the Miller Time Pub and how wonderful the bedroom amenities were for you! (Check out Hilton at home for the products in your guestroom.)
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future, and encourage you to contact us if there is anything else we can do!

Reviewed June 3, 2009

We got a good price for this hotel on Priceline of about $55. However, they charge about $22 to park, which is outrageous, given parking is typically very economical in Milwaukee. Our room was fairly nice; it was on the small side. I am averse to bad smells and I thought the hotel, particularly the hallways, had a foul smell. I would not reutrn to this hotel due to the smell and the high cost parking. The hotel lobby was pretty.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your visit to our hotel and Milwaukee! We do charge 24 dollars for our overnight parking, but with that you can come and go as you please and your car is in a covered garage for the night, which comes in handy during the winter months and an inclement weather! Our hotel was completed in 1928 and has a grand lobby to match those times, I am glad you enjoyed the grandeur! We are currently revamping or public spaces and guestrooms, which leads me to believe that the smell issue was related to our ongoing renovation. I am sorry to hear that if affected your stay but encourage you to return once our renovations are complete!

Reviewed May 26, 2009

We stayed in Milwaukee over the Memorial Holiday and took in some of what Milwaukee has to offer with the Discovery Zone, Veterans Park, the Riverwalk district, and the zoo...things that the whole family liked.

The hotel has old, classic architecture and charm and was a good stay and good value. The waterpark was a huge plus for the kids and kept them entertained for hours. The only caveat was a musty smell in the hallways...but they could have been due to the renovation construction going on in the hotel. The location of the Hilton City Center allowed for short walks to some great restaurants along the riverwalk and the 3rd Ward. The staff was friendly.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
HiltonMilwaukee, Front Office Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2009

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the activities that are offered in and around the Milwaukee area! It is finally starting to warm up in the city and events along the river walk and the lakefront are the best way to celebrate! I encourage you to come and visit Summerfest or to one of the festivals around the city!

As you mentioned we have started a renovation to replace the wall coverings and the flooring throughout the Hilton Milwaukee City Center.

Thank you very much for your time and honest opinions and we look forward to welcoming you back to our property! We pride ourselves on exceeding expectations and making your holiday weekends feel like a home away from home.