New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Milwaukee
Monroe, LA, United States
“Nicely rehabbed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

An old structure that has been nicely updated. Requested and got a room on an upper floor with a view of Lake Michigan. Very nice. Self park available next door with a covered walkway to the Hotel. Staff was on it and very helpful. Bell service was great. Spent an extra 10 minutes at the front door when the hop heard we were going to Door County and had his cell phone out recommending unique places to eat and see that he was familiar with.

1 Thank Fred H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Korean first
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Hotel is beautiful and within walking distance to everything in downtown Milwaukee. Employees at front desk were very helpful and we were able to get a bigger room on an upper floor with a lake view. We booked on Hotwire and got a really great deal for a weekend stay. The only negative I could say is that the bathroom in our room was very small, but it didn't really bother us that much. We stayed on the 24th floor and had a great view of downtown and the lake. On our second night, there was a thunderstorm and we opened the curtains in our room and watched the lightning. It was a cool sight. You won't be disappointed in this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor with a lake view.
Arvada,CO, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

If you want great service this is the place to stay. I have no complaints and lots of compliments. They treat you right here. I do think we paid a little too much for the room, but I think it was because of the location and the fact that it was downtown.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

2 Thank Monica M
Owensville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Excellant place to stay! Everyone was helpful and fast to give directions, if needed!Would highly recommend this hotel to each and everyone! Walking distance to the Lake Shore, eats and stores! Beautiful place to stay at!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

3 Thank Pam K
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

A false sense of equipoise is suddenly shattered by an aggressively diaphanous chandelier in this grand temple to Transatlanticana. Art Deco leads an assault on the senses, but the staff is a calm hand in a historicist storm. Small, box-like sleeping quarters are well-apportioned but compressed, seeming to encourage traffic to the lobby bar like a pneumatic tube.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

This place has the worst customer service I have ever experienced!!! I spoke to 4 different people over the phone, not a single one could answer my VERY simple question of "what is the room rate for a single occupancy for this evening?". If they can't even tell you the room rate how can they even run a business??? I then called back and asked to speak to a manager, he never once apologized or sounded sympathetic. I calmly explained that I was transferred several different times and not one employee could tell me what the room rate was for that day. Very confusing. He made it very clear he didn't care what happened on my previous phone call and gave me the room rate and hung up!! And I was very polite and calm hoping that would help me get my answer. No such luck with these unnecessarily rude people. I travel often with large sports teams and we will never allow our groups to give this hotel our business. Take it elsewhere, don't condone this sort of behavior folks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
David W, Director of Rooms at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear H S;
I want to apologize that you encountered such difficulty attempting to obtain a nightly rate for the hotel this past week. The property itself does not make any reservations directly; but, I have shared your comments with our partners in our central reservations department for further follow-up and review. I want to assure you that the experience you encountered is not one that should be expected from any member of our team and we will remedy this immediately. I hope in the future you will consider being a guest of the hotel so we can truly showcase the wonderful hospitality that is the Hilton Milwaukee.

David Woodward
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

It is a classic old Hotel and being originally from Milwaukee wanted to stay here on our romantic getaway. We wanted to have a great experience. It was OK.

Our mistake, Never go to Milwaukee during Summerfest unless you are planning to attend Summerfest. We were there for a family event and turned this into a Mommy/Daddy alone weekend. The hotel was filled with drunk parties who brought coolers to their room made plenty of noise and filled up the workout room every morning to cycle off the beer. Whatever, not the hotels fault.

When we checked in, we went to out room and it smelled like it had been smoked in and covered up with Fbreeze. I do not want a cleaning fee so we requested another room. We got a room half the size. OK. Whatever, it was fine, but no hair dryer to be found. Called for one and it never arrived. I have long hair so I consider that a necessity.

The first night we wanted a nice romantic dinner in the restaurant. We travel extensively for business and this was a very rare Mommy Daddy getaway in a hotel alone. Went to the Chophouse, both of our steaks and salads were wonderful, but the wine was supermarket wine, we shared a 2010 Bisquertte La Joya Reserve Syrah that sells for $8.99 at Marianos grocery in Chicago, $34.00 at the Chophouse. All the other wines were similar quality with a similar markup. We travel plenty and drink plenty of wine, this markup was excessive for inferior wine compared to the setting and the high quality of the food. Generally a 2x - 2.5 markup is expected, preferred a better quality wine at that or a slightly higher price point.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello Goskiing;
Thank you for the review and remarks regarding your recent stay. I want to apologize that the first room you encountered was not of our normal level of expected service. We strive to ensure each guest room is prepared and serviced to our high standards for each and every arrival. As for the hair dryer after your first attempted call I want to apologize that our staff did not alert you that the dryer is actually located on the shelf in your closet. We do this to provide an ample amount of space in the bathroom. I hope that during your next visit to Milwaukee you are able to enjoy more of the sights and sounds of the city without all of the hustle and bustle that is created with the Summerfest Festival in town. If I can be of assistance in arranging another night away please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Regards,