“Beautiful hotel, nice rooms, good location”

Hilton Milwaukee City Center
Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful hotel, nice rooms, good location”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

A false sense of equipoise is suddenly shattered by an aggressively diaphanous chandelier in this grand temple to Transatlanticana. Art Deco leads an assault on the senses, but the staff is a calm hand in a historicist storm. Small, box-like sleeping quarters are well-apportioned but compressed, seeming to encourage traffic to the lobby bar like a pneumatic tube.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This place has the worst customer service I have ever experienced!!! I spoke to 4 different people over the phone, not a single one could answer my VERY simple question of "what is the room rate for a single occupancy for this evening?". If they can't even tell you the room rate how can they even run a business??? I then called back and asked to speak to a manager, he never once apologized or sounded sympathetic. I calmly explained that I was transferred several different times and not one employee could tell me what the room rate was for that day. Very confusing. He made it very clear he didn't care what happened on my previous phone call and gave me the room rate and hung up!! And I was very polite and calm hoping that would help me get my answer. No such luck with these unnecessarily rude people. I travel often with large sports teams and we will never allow our groups to give this hotel our business. Take it elsewhere, don't condone this sort of behavior folks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
David W, Director of Rooms at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear H S;
I want to apologize that you encountered such difficulty attempting to obtain a nightly rate for the hotel this past week. The property itself does not make any reservations directly; but, I have shared your comments with our partners in our central reservations department for further follow-up and review. I want to assure you that the experience you encountered is not one that should be expected from any member of our team and we will remedy this immediately. I hope in the future you will consider being a guest of the hotel so we can truly showcase the wonderful hospitality that is the Hilton Milwaukee.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 14, 2014

It is a classic old Hotel and being originally from Milwaukee wanted to stay here on our romantic getaway. We wanted to have a great experience. It was OK.

Our mistake, Never go to Milwaukee during Summerfest unless you are planning to attend Summerfest. We were there for a family event and turned this into a Mommy/Daddy alone weekend. The hotel was filled with drunk parties who brought coolers to their room made plenty of noise and filled up the workout room every morning to cycle off the beer. Whatever, not the hotels fault.

When we checked in, we went to out room and it smelled like it had been smoked in and covered up with Fbreeze. I do not want a cleaning fee so we requested another room. We got a room half the size. OK. Whatever, it was fine, but no hair dryer to be found. Called for one and it never arrived. I have long hair so I consider that a necessity.

The first night we wanted a nice romantic dinner in the restaurant. We travel extensively for business and this was a very rare Mommy Daddy getaway in a hotel alone. Went to the Chophouse, both of our steaks and salads were wonderful, but the wine was supermarket wine, we shared a 2010 Bisquertte La Joya Reserve Syrah that sells for $8.99 at Marianos grocery in Chicago, $34.00 at the Chophouse. All the other wines were similar quality with a similar markup. We travel plenty and drink plenty of wine, this markup was excessive for inferior wine compared to the setting and the high quality of the food. Generally a 2x - 2.5 markup is expected, preferred a better quality wine at that or a slightly higher price point.

Hello Goskiing;
Thank you for the review and remarks regarding your recent stay. I want to apologize that the first room you encountered was not of our normal level of expected service. We strive to ensure each guest room is prepared and serviced to our high standards for each and every arrival. As for the hair dryer after your first attempted call I want to apologize that our staff did not alert you that the dryer is actually located on the shelf in your closet. We do this to provide an ample amount of space in the bathroom. I hope that during your next visit to Milwaukee you are able to enjoy more of the sights and sounds of the city without all of the hustle and bustle that is created with the Summerfest Festival in town. If I can be of assistance in arranging another night away please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Regards,

Oak Park, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for about 40 years. It has only gotten better during this time. It is a good location and convenient for all kinds of events (baseball at Miller Part, art at the Art Museum, etc.)

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank William P
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here for two nights while attending Summerfest and were overall very pleased. Staff was friendly and helpful (especially outside valets who were helpful with directions, taxi's, etc.). Common areas very nicely appointed...marble floors, awesome chandeliers! We had a great room in the very corner - it was large, huge bathroom, and great views from both windows - being on the 11th floor we could see all the way to the lake! Room was impeccably clean - I don't think I have ever been in a hotel where the beds were made SO PERFECTLY!! Not a wrinkle to be seen! That certainly gave a great first impression of the room.
Given its an older hotel, I am betting that room size and quality will vary depending on location in the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the north east corner of the hotel, on a higher floor - they are roomier and h...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Hi WelshHare,

I'm so glad that we were able to make a significant impact on the quality of your Summerfest visit. Always a busy time of year for us, it's great to hear that we succedeed in providing the standard of service we strive for and beyond.

I will be certain to pass on your kind words to our housekeeping team regarding the appointment of your room when you checked in. That is the exact first impression they work so hard to achieve.

We hope to have you stay with us again for next years Summerfest!

Best,

Dustin
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center for a night of Summerfest activities.
It was colder than we expected (50’s in July!) so we asked for some recommendations on where to pick up a sweatshirt.
The doorman/valet was friendly and pointed us in the right direction. Later a different doorman/valet got us a cab and provided instruction to the driver as to our destination and gave him instruction on the best route within our earshot which we considered great service.
Upon check in the lead bell man pulled us out of a long line and checked us into a room from the bell stand…again great service.

We were on the fifth floor which is a floor with half conference rooms and half rooms. This was strange. Our room had a view of the roof and nothing else so I would recommend staying away from the fifth floor. Rooms were clean and serviceable but nothing spectacular. There was writing in the room service menus so you could tell it was aged. They knocked on the door at 8:00 am on our check out day to clean our room even though the checkout wasn’t until 11:00 am and we have requested a late checkout.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 5th floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2014

There is a lot to like at this place. It's clean and the location cannot be beat. Housekeeping was excellent and the on site Brew Pub has an extensive beer list and good reasonably priced food. I also loved the fact that you could walk out to the curb and immediately get a cab without a wait.
All that being said, the biggest obstacle you will have to overcome is the size of the standard room. Ours (room 713) was TINY. I mean that was the smallest room I've ever stayed in in my life. My wife and I were constantly tripping over each other. We were in town for Summrefest and stayed three nights and the total cost came to nearly 400 dollars. I really expected a larger room, but you pay for the location, amenities and the busy Summerfest season. I think next year we will look for another hotel with larger rooms even if we have to pay a bit more.

Dear LtColBuckRobley;
Thank you for the review and for staying at the Hilton Milwaukee over the Summerfest festival. July is truly the best time of the year to be in Milwaukee as we begin to embrace one festival after another. With this being said I wanted to apologize for the small size of your standard guest room. As a registered Historic Hotel of America we find that our guest room sizes vary throughout our 28 different floor plans throughout the hotel. Each of the floor plans varies in size, but offers the same set of amenities. With that being said I hope that during a future visit you will reach out to me directly so I can ensure that you are recognized as a returning guest.
Kind Regards,