“Centrally located hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, IL
“Centrally located hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Hilton Milwaukee City Center hotel is centrally located downtown, near the Amtrak (about a three block walk) and the expressway, as well as near the river, shops and great dining. There are a couple bus stops nearby as well as a Starbucks located off the lobby.
When you enter the hotel at street level, you are actually on the lower lobby and you have to walk (or take the elevator) one flight up to check in. The check-in process was extremely easy and the hotel is older, so the lobby and main areas are really beautiful. I chose a higher room (23rd floor) and my room was at the end of the hall, far from the elevators. Once I was in my room, I didn't hear any hallway noise or other guests in nearby rooms. The room was decent size and the bathrooms were recently re-done and are large. There is no bathroom fan to clean out the steam from the shower but that seems pretty typical in older hotels.
I didn't have a car but I did hear another employee mention you had in/out privileges in the garage, so it seems it's self-park and not valet. I'm not sure what the cost was but it would probably be minimal. There is also an outside lot across the street but it fills up quickly and it's also a minimal charge.
I was only in town for a night, so I didn't get a chance to visit the fitness center (I think they have a small wading pool only) or room service but I did get a drink at the Miller Pub, which is off the lower lobby. The drinks are relatively cheap (especially if you order Miller products) and they have a lot of TV's, so it's good to watch sports at. The food was typical bar food and was just so/so.
The hotel staff are extremely attentive and when I forgot my toothbrush and toothpaste, they not only brought them up within 5 minutes of my call, they included a full-size toothbrush. When I was there, a severe storm came through the area, with tornado warnings. They sounded the fire alarm, brought everyone to the lobby where we could wait out the storm in safety.
I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Milwaukee. I would recommend booking this site through a discount site, as I paid less than half of what the Hilton site charged.

Room Tip: Higher room, away from the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Korean first
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Handsome lobby with lovely staff. The rooms are a tad small by modern standards, but I also realize that this is an old hotel. The bathroom was a bit tight yet still usuable. I had a high floor with a nice view especially when the sun was setting. Fairly quiet, although I could hear the guy next door talking. He could have just been loud.
The bed was great. Very comfortable. My only issue was the heating/cooling system. It was a bit chilly when I was there (30s) and when the heat came on, the fan part of the system was loud. I kept waking up all night every time the heat came on. A bit annoying.

West Des Moines, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

The room was not up to the clean rooms I expect when I visit Hilton's. The staff was courteous but sent me to the wrong type of room the first time. I left an item in the room and within 6 hours it was missing and not to be found. Convenient location to convention center.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

David W, Director of Rooms at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Ignatius B,
Thank you for the hotel review. I want to apologize that upon your initial visit to check-in you were sent to the wrong style of accommodation. I was happy to hear that the team went forward and corrected the error and ensured you were well taken care of. Our hotel Safety and Security team does log and maintain all lost and found items as they relate to the properties rooms and restaurants. I encourage you to contact me directly if I can be of assistance.

Regards,
David Woodward
Bloomington, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

This old hotel has beautiful public areas. It's huge and connected to the convention center, so it can accommodate multiple events at once. There are also numerous good restaurants within the building. (From the street, these restaurants are actually better marked than the hotel itself. My husband and I accidentally passed it several times and ended up parking in a different garage. However, this was fortunate since the weekend parking for the mall area was a fraction of what the hotel lot was charging.)

On Wisconsin Ave and connected to the convention center, the hotel is pretty conveniently located. However, it had been billed as being connected to the downtown via skywalk. Though technically true, it's not really connected in any convenient way. You have to go through the convention center, which takes you on a very roundabout route to the rest of the downtown. The doors are also locked in the evening, when it's cold and dark outside and the skywalk would be most convenient. Basically, don't think you're going to beat the midwestern cold this way.

Our queen-bed room was small but recently and fashionably remodeled. I was, however, disappointed in the worn-out sheets. The first night, my pillowcase was badly stained. The second night, the sheets were ripped. I would get rid of these linens at home and certainly expect that a high-end hotel would do the same.

Omaha, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

There were many things that went wrong with the rest of my trip. But this was not one of them. I selected this hotel as it was one of the two host hotels for our annual event. Everything inside its walls was absolute perfection, easy, fun and relaxing

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

West Linn, OR, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is lovely and opulent - grand chandeliers, marble and ornate fixtures. The beds are comfy with down comforters and they do the two sheets surrounding the comforter rather than a seldom cleaned duvet. There's a formal-ish bar that is reminiscent of the bar in The Shining but in a creepy good way. And there's a pub which is a more laid back place for a drink and dinner. Enjoy

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kim S
Jefferson City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

This was a really nice comfy hotel! There were a few things that probably could have been updated or upgraded a bit but the price wasn't too bad and the beds and pillows made up for anything negative! Staff was nice and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MommyXs2
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Ahh beds, really, for many, the pinnacle of a hotel experience, as they can make or break the quality of your stay. I'm happy that you too have experienced the immense coziness of our beds here at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center.

Happy to hear that you found our staff as welcome and accommodating as we work to be, and we hope we can host you and your family again in the future!

Thanks,