“Stay elsewhere”

Hilton Milwaukee City Center
Ranked #13 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Staying in Milwaukee for the Harley 110th celebration. Hotel is old & historic & lobby is beautiful. Have been to Milwaukee before but thought I would like to stay here this time. Big mistake. Being old the rooms are small. I had read reviews to request larger bathroom which I did. When we checked in & went all the way to the room I found I didn't get the room I requested. Back to the front desk to change rooms. Second room has a larger bathroom but very small counter. If you are a man or only travel with a hair brush & toothbrush you would be okay. Thermostat in the room has been set on 60 since we got here & hadn't cooled the room yet. Walls are paper thin & you can hear other guests. We had other friends that checked in when we did & their room had a broken headboard & very noisy air conditioner so they had to change rooms. The whole city is booked so no changing to a better hotel. Carpet is very worn in the halls. Room has a nice look but not very practical bathroom lay out. My advice is to come walk around the lobby of the Hilton but stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013
BrandonDrusch, Front Office Director at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Hello Dixiehdrier!
I want to thank you for joining us in Milwaukee for the 110th Anniversary of Harley Davidson! I hope you and your colleagues were able to enjoy the unique and special offerings of the hotel throughout your visit. Please accept my sincere apologies for having to move to a new accommodation upon arrival due the size of your vanity in the bathroom. As a historic hotel we do have a number of unique room sizes and layouts for each of our guests; each offering a different experience from the next. The charm of the building and the facilities are truly on display in our lobby as you had stated. I truly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for the 115th Anniversary!

Kind Regards,
Brandon Drusch
Director- Front Office Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (2,234)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Enjoyed the beautiful decor of this grand hotel. Staff friendly and efficient. Room furnishings of good quality and bedding was divine. Had a comfortable sleep experience every night. Food service was excellent. Would recommend staying at this wonderful downtown Milwaukee Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Dear Hilton City Center,

I just wanted to drop a note letting you know how impressed I was with the hotel, the service, and especially your staff, in connection with our 33rd annual Wisconsin Municipal Clerk’s Association Conference. The hotel itself was beautiful and extremely accommodating in conference set up. I heard nothing but praise from other members on the taste and quality of the dining menus.

I was especially impressed with the impeccable assistance from all of the staff. Their great service was appreciated by all. The bell hop service was extremely helpful in moving conference items to locations when needed and in arrival and departure assistance for all of the clerks. The rooms were well maintained and the cleaning staff kept the rooms stocked as needed. The dining staff was so accommodating and professional in their service.

I look forward to our association utilizing your hotel facilities in the future for conferences.

Please let the staff know how much our association appreciated their great service.

Regards,

Barbara Van Clake, MMC, WCPC
President, Wisconsin Municipal Clerks Association

Room Tip: There is currently no pool at this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel mid July for a conference. It was extremely convenient given its connectivity to the convention center and its prime downtown location. The art deco architecture was truly an experience all on its own. There were so many details to to experience. (I loved the mail shoot!) This is not a hotel I would lodge in with a family. It really has that stuffy air to it that would not feel welcoming for them. One issue I personally had was finding my way around. I went in and out of my room many times but still had issues placing my whereabouts when I traveled off my floor. This made me embarrassed although it shouldn't have, because there was usually no else around. There seemed to be a lack of staff presence beyond the front desk area. My room was updated. I found the decor pleasant but nothing extraordinary. The bed was comfortable and I was able to cool the room to my liking. I usually sleep well in hotels but the walls seemed very thin and nose was an issue for me. The major problem I had was my bathroom. It was clean. However, there was an overwhelming smell of old urine. I had to deal with this smell often. The only mirror was in the bathroom. There was very little room in the bathroom. It was so small the door couldn't open 90 degrees. This made many bathroom tasks challenging.The bathroom was a deal breaker for me. If I find myself in Milwaukee again, I will not stay at Hilton Downtown.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear ChristinaKK:
Thank you for providing the feedback regarding your recent stay. As you had mentioned the Hotel displays a high level of unique art deco architecture throughout the property. It’s just wonderful that over the years the hotel has been able to preserve and maintain the historic “feel” throughout the building. I wanted to apologize that you had encountered a few challenges; one of which being the size of your vanity in the guest room. As a historic hotel we offer a number of unique and different floor plans throughout the building; many of which offer a larger or expanded vanity and bathroom. I look forward to showcasing one of these accommodations’ on your next visit to Milwaukee! Please contact me directly if I can be of service.

Kind Regards,
Brandon Drusch
Director- Front Office Operations

Reviewed August 23, 2013

There is not a fridge in the room AND when we requested one, we were charged to use it. There was no blow dryer in room. I didn't bring one thinking there would be one. $24.00 a DAY for parking is CRAZY since you're a guest, it should be free or at least cheaper

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HiltonMilwaukee, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear Bill F -

Thank you for choosing to be our guest on your recent visit to Milwaukee. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced at our hotel regarding the prices for certain amenities. Your experience is not typical of the Hilton Milwaukee City Center and not how we strive to have our guests feel.

Our hairdryers are provided free of charge in each guest room closet. I am sorry to hear that your guest room did not have one available and we were not made aware that you were in need.

I look forward to hearing back from you as I reached out to you personally to ensure I can restore your faith in the Hilton Milwaukee City Center and Hilton Hotels and Resorts!

Jacob Ruck
Hotel Manager
jacobruck@hiltonmilwaukee.com
414.390.8390

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We were in Milwaukee for the National Triathlon and this hotel was a nice walk (1 mile) to the race site. They welcomed the triathletes, the USAT staff and families with open arms. They even put water out in front of the hotel so water bottles could be filled. They had fresh fruit infused water by the elevators as well. Are room was spotless and the bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in! The bathroom was small but adequate. One thing I would have liked was a small refrigerator and microwave in the room. We used a cooler with ice from the ice machine for specialized food for our triathlete. There was an in-room coffee maker with coffees and teas provided. The staff was wonderful and provided excellent service. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant as it was very expensive. There was a Starbucks in the hotel that we visited several times. There are many very nice restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and the downtown area is nice. I ran each morning by myself and felt quite safe. The hotel parking garage is ridiculously expensive but there is a parking lot across the street that charges $10 a day - which by the way, is also owned by the Hilton. We know that because the charges on our credit card showed "Hilton". We paid $40 up front so that we could come and go in the parking lot without restriction and no fear of being towed (the "day" is up at 11:59 pm and they can tow you unless you have paid for the next day as well). The National Triathlon is supposed to be in Milwaukee in 2014 and we are planning on staying at this Hilton again. It is beautiful, comfortable and convenient to the venue.

Room Tip: Ask to not be near the ice machine!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank fspencerrn00
Reviewed August 22, 2013

First, the bad news. We were there for three nights and housekeeping showed up for the first time after 6 PM on the second evening. We turned them away as we were dressing for dinner. Then we had to call them on the third day to get service.

Check-in was a breeze. We were very early and no rooms were available. They took our cell phone number, we found a place for lunch and we were called with a "your room is ready" just as we finished lunch. The king room was relatively small which is to be expected in an historic building. There were two annoying issues with the room. When the drapes were closed for the evening, they covered the air conditioning unit and as a result the room warmed up thru the night. Also, the bathroom door stuck so it was impossible to make a quiet trip to the facility.

The common areas in this hotel are very ornate and are to a grand scale. There were several weddings over the weekend and this is the perfect backdrop for a memorable occasion. The staff is friendly and helpful. Especially Greg the doorman who really went out of his way to see to it we enjoyed Milwaukee. Please note, there is no pool, so if that's important look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends