“Outstanding staff!”

Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
nw indiana
“Outstanding staff!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a conference this weekend, and I don't know if I have ever encountered as outstanding a staff as we met at the Hilton City Center:
* the bellhop who unloaded our car stayed outside with our car in bitter cold weather while we checked in;
* a second bellhop who carried our luggage to the room gave me excellent advice about what to do in Milwaukee (what bellhop visits the Art Museum every week!) and, when he saw me later in the lobby, he called me over to give me half-price admission tickets to the museum;
* during the first night in our large, lovely king superior room, we woke up at 3 a.m. to find the room temperature had risen to 82 degrees, even though we had set it at 60. Called the front desk at 6:30 and, within just a few minutes, a very friendly engineer arrived. After checking out the unit he, he regretfully informed me that it couldn't be fixed quickly and we would need to change rooms. He called the front desk, asked that they be sure to give us a comparable room, and then escorted me downstairs to exchange keys. He suggested to the front desk staff that they might consider giving me something in exchange for the hassle and they immediately comped our $24 a day parking fee.
* When I called for a bellhop to help move our luggage, the Art Museum guy arrived in minutes. He asked about the situation and then asked if the hotel was making it up to us. I responded that they had given us the parking credit which was going to be a break for my spouse's employer, and the bellhop responded that he was going to see if something could be added that would give my spouse and me more direct benefit. Within a half hour he called me and said his manager had also approved a Food and Beverage credit to offset the cost of some of my meals during the stay.
* Throughout our 4 day stay, almost every single encounter with staff was enjoyable. One bellhop, who never moved luggage for us, still stopped us and asked each evening about where we had dinner and whether we enjoyed it.
* The only exception was the concierge who was a little disappointing when we were looking for dinner ideas.
* Upon checking out this morning, another bellhop said he would be leaving our luggage at the front door and someone there would help load the car when we brought it around. We asked him if he could possibly take the cart to the garage instead, a considerable additional distance, and he immediately agreed. Because of the additional time and distance, we gave him an additional tip and his response to my spouse was "Sir, are you sure?" when he looked at the amount.

Both rooms were large and very comfortable, although we do have to agree with comments about the lack of counterspace in the bathroom. The wi-fi connection was also somewhat slow and/or intermittant. We also appreciated the availability of the Honors Lounge for breakfast, the happy hour in the Monarch Lounge, and the Miller Time Pub and Milwaukee Chop House restaurants.

Normally the problem with the room temperature and having to change rooms would have really clouded our stay, but the bellhops, front desk staff, housekeeper, engineer and almost everyone else with whom we had contact more than overcame the problem.

A big thanks to the staff of the Milwaukee Hilton City Center!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank hoosier46NwIndiana
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Hi hoosier46NwIndiana!

Wow! What a great (and detailed) review of your recent stay with us here at the Hilton. This is the kind of guest-service we strive for. So to read that you experience the culmination of all the hard work of our staff is particularly fulfilling. Again, please accept my apologies for the heating issues you had in your initial room. I'm glad we were able to address the issue and make it up to you sufficiently.

Thank you again for such a great review. We hope that the next time you make your way to Milwaukee, be it for business or pleasure, you choose to stay with us again.

Dustin Zick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Korean first
Portland, Maine USA
Reviewed February 24, 2013

It was a really nice hotel - comfortable, clean, great beds, fine room service, even a Starbucks downstairs (which our son loves), the staff was very friendly while respecting your privacy. We received a surprise complimentary goody package from the room service which was totally unexpected. We only stayed one night, but we would definitely consider returning !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chansonette
Grayslake, Illinois
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed at the Milwaukee Hilton for a conference. Miller's Pub is the real deal with a big on tap selection and a full menu for dinner. The Chop House offers a unique "chophouse salad". Fantastic. Hotel was really busy but the service never suffered.

Room Tip: Had a city view room on a high floor. Great view of downtown Milwaukee.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jon L
Burlington, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The service at the Hilton is what you would expect. The location is great. The room we had was small but extremely comfortable. The only negative I can say is the daily parking fees are high. We did not eat at any of the restaurants so I can't help there!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Robert C
McFarland, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We were attending a convention so the hotel was very busy. At no time, though, did I feel like they were too busy to answer questions or help us out. The room was great and if it hadn't been a blizzard outside, we would have slept quietly and well but the snowplows were noisy--not a problem of the Hilton! The concierge was wonderful, helping us to find a quiet place to talk and have some dinner. The other restaurants were full and loud but he let us relax and talk in the Hilton Honors room. I will be signing up for that privilege soon as it was just what we needed. The hors d'oeuvres werre a welcome sight and the "master of the bar/restaurant" was the best. We could order off 3 menus and the food was excellent. We'll be back there next year and will definitely stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Outnabout53
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Hi Outnabout53,

We're so happy to hear that your experience was as superb as it was. As a fellow Wisconsinite, you know the wears of a hearty Wisconsin winter and the ensuing cleanup, but I'm happy to learn that the sound of the plows did not overall detract from your experience here at the Hilton.

Our concierge is top notch, and was happy to find you a spot in the honors lounge.

Thank you again for your stay and kind words - we look forward to your next visit to Milwaukee and the Hilton Milwaukee City Center!

Best,

Union Grove
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Hotel is great, just bad bad time with my room card never working even after being replaced. Lead me to be late for my classes at the convention center, they also didn't work when I tried to leave the parking garage.
Chop House restaurant is awesome, will be back there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Denise F
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My family and I first stayed at this hotel in October 2011 when visiting Marquette University. The location is excellent. The university, Bradley Center, Al Michael Center, all downtown locations, etc., are within walking distance. The front desk staff upgraded us to a beautiful room with a view of the lake. In the three visits since, we've always been upgraded...even on this last occasion when I'd used an opaque travel site to make the reservation. The bell staff is always attentive as are the doormen who'll help with luggage, hail a taxi or make sure you're kept dry in a rainstorm. The restaurant in the Lower Lobby which opens for breakfast and lunch delivers high quality food (buffet or ala carte) at reasonable prices, always with a smile. The rooms are older, with upgraded carpet and furnishings, a comfortable desk area with modern connections for power. The bathrooms are quite small, but everything works and in my opinion, they are well maintained (wallpaper seams tight, good caulk lines, good water flow). The rooms are very clean and well maintained. Definitely plan to return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dan F
Hi Dan,

I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for your fantastic words in your review. This is the standard of service and experience we work diligently to achieve, and it's always a welcome sight to see that our guest experiences have met that standard and above and beyond.

We're happy to read that you and your family have made multiple trips to stay with us here at the Hilton, and are thrilled to know that we'll be able to welcome you back in the future.

Best,