“great”

Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Union Grove
“great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Hotel is great, just bad bad time with my room card never working even after being replaced. Lead me to be late for my classes at the convention center, they also didn't work when I tried to leave the parking garage.
Chop House restaurant is awesome, will be back there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Denise F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

My family and I first stayed at this hotel in October 2011 when visiting Marquette University. The location is excellent. The university, Bradley Center, Al Michael Center, all downtown locations, etc., are within walking distance. The front desk staff upgraded us to a beautiful room with a view of the lake. In the three visits since, we've always been upgraded...even on this last occasion when I'd used an opaque travel site to make the reservation. The bell staff is always attentive as are the doormen who'll help with luggage, hail a taxi or make sure you're kept dry in a rainstorm. The restaurant in the Lower Lobby which opens for breakfast and lunch delivers high quality food (buffet or ala carte) at reasonable prices, always with a smile. The rooms are older, with upgraded carpet and furnishings, a comfortable desk area with modern connections for power. The bathrooms are quite small, but everything works and in my opinion, they are well maintained (wallpaper seams tight, good caulk lines, good water flow). The rooms are very clean and well maintained. Definitely plan to return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dan F
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Hi Dan,

I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for your fantastic words in your review. This is the standard of service and experience we work diligently to achieve, and it's always a welcome sight to see that our guest experiences have met that standard and above and beyond.

We're happy to read that you and your family have made multiple trips to stay with us here at the Hilton, and are thrilled to know that we'll be able to welcome you back in the future.

Best,

Vassar Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I traveling on business was booked at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center. Upon my arrival I was greeted with the Doorman whom seem to be outside more than he was ever inside all three days. Happy and joyful to greet each limo sedan and van who dropped and picked up people. He made my day! Always smiling, eager to approach and ask you how your day was. And Impression for those entering the hotel!

I only stayed two nights, 3 days and upon arriving I found that the hotel was clean, accommodating to my needs and very helpful. I would say unless one is on business, I would not bring my family to stay here if I had small children, however, I didn't see many children even though they offered a water park, which was not open until Friday,Saturday and Sunday. The building itself was older and the upkeep was maintained! I would stay again on business. They have a Starbucks coffee shop and a Restaurant called the Chop House, I would price the menu at $$. There was another restaurant that served breakfast etc, However I didn't dine there. The bar was much more reasonable to me in price for a single woman traveling. Drinks average 7 dollars and Burgers etc roughly 10 dollar and up. Plus it stayed open late for those of us who have longer day schedules. Staff very good. I felt that the young girl whom waiting on me when I first checked in was a tad bit stressed, however I am sure that everyday demands of travelers can make one feel that way. She could of smiled more. As she at first made my first impression of the hotel a not so good one, after I thought the Doorman was awesome. Until I met most of the other staff then I knew she was having one of those so called bad days. First impressions often make a difference though! Every morning a USA today paper sat out side waiting my review and the view outside was the Milwaukee City. For those who travel on business and want to have that executive experience this is the hotel!!! There is a Shopping mall across the road in which I toured and found to be a dying mall with average stores. Not many other places to visit as most are offices etc. I did find an Applebee restaurant further down the road for those who do not want to pay a 50 dollar or higher food bill. Overall I give this hotel a 4 stars.

Room Tip: I was on the 19th floor, The view was of the City and the major highway. I was able actually to vie...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank poohdersdoo
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

The Hilton Milwaukee City Center is a huge, historic hotel located adjacent to the Delta (Frontier) Airlines convention center (skyway connection), and about three blocks from the Amtrak station. Staff were friendly, and the rooms large, clean, and comfortable. The public areas, especially the lobby, are stunning and beautifully maintained. There is no pool, but a waterpark is open on weekends for an additional charge. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Hilton HHonors Gold/Diamond members receive free Wifi and access to a lounge with free breakfast and evening snacks, otherwise there is a charge. Parking is quite expensive, although the ramp is connected to the hotel by a skyway.

There isn't usually a whole lot going on in downtown Milwaukee, unless there is a convention. There are a few restaurants within walking distance and a virtually abandoned shopping center.

This is a big convention hotel, in my opinion, a step above most.

Room Tip: Historic main building vs newer addition - your preference.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank blanker001
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Recently stayed here to attend a bucks game with our family. The location is great for the Bradley center, only a couple of blocks away. The only thing I didn't like was the additional $18/person to go into the waterpark! Normally the price of the room at least covers a few people, however ages 3 and up are $18 each! Too high for the extent of the waterpark. It's nice for young children, but not worth the price of admission. If you are just looking for a hotel it is great, if you are coming for the waterpark, bring your wallet!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SusieSobieskiWI
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hi Susie,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of our experience here on TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate your notes regarding our excellent location, and were happy you chose us to stay with when you attended the Bucks game (Go Bucks!).

We're always keen on receiving guest feedback and where appropriate turning that feedback into actionable changes regarding our operations. So in that regard, we certainly appreciate your candid words regarding the pricing of the waterpark here. We believe that the unique experience of a waterpark in the urban landscape of downtown Milwaukee is unmatched in our city, but we're always looking at ways to improve the experience.

Thanks again for your great review and your stay, we hope to see you and your family again next time you make it down to cheer on our Bucks.

Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

My stay at this location wasn't what I expect from a Hilton. The service staff were friendly, but the property appears to be poorly maintained. The rooms were visibly dirty - dust on the desks, grime on the baseboards, snagged bedding, half hanging curtains, nail polish on the bathroom floor, poorly functioning shower, etc. My king-size bed also appeared to be broken - it had a very significant dip in the center - deep enough to cause me to slide into it. I also heard from multiple other guests staying at the hotel that their rooms were unsatisfactory - broken shower, excessively loud heating unit, and dirty rooms. Also, every noise resonates in this hotel - toilets flushing, people entering/leaving rooms, etc. Given the multiple alternative hotels in the area, I would not recommend staying at the Hilton

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank mommy2tendai
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Hi, Mommy2Tendai, I'm posting this response on behalf of our Director of Front Office Operations, Brandon Drusch.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Milwaukee. Please accept my apologies for the challenges you encountered throughout your visit. We pride ourselves on our ability to create a memorable experience while ensuring our guests have the utmost in quality and service. Your challenges have been shared with our team as it relates to service and quality deficiencies you experienced. I would be honored to have the privilege to speak with you directly at your earliest availability regarding the issues you have brought forward.

Regards,
Brandon Drusch
Director- Front Office Operations
414-271-7250
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

My Wife and I stayed here for two nights to celebrate our one year anniversary. The rooms are dated but do have nice furniture in them and the bed is comfortable. It's a short walk to a few streets with a lot of local businesses on them. The staff sent us up chocolate covered strawberries which was a nice gesture. The only complaint is saying they have a hot tub/jacuzzi is misleading. There is a water park in the hotel and you can use the hot tub there but it is only open on weekends. So there is no hot tub access on week days. Overall its a good place to stay if you want to get out and check out the city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jawkurt
Hi Jawkurt!

Thanks for your positive review here on TripAdvisor. Happy to hear that you and your wife decided to stay with us for your one-year anniversary and even more happy to hear that it was a positive experience.

I do want to apologize for the confusion regarding our hot tub/jacuzzi, as creating said confusion was certainly not intent. I'll be looking into a way we can better clarify the accessibility of the hot tub only being on weekends.

Thanks again for your stay and for this review, the next time you and your wife make it to Milwaukee, we hope that you will decide to stay with us again.

Thanks!