WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hilton Milwaukee City Center

Hilton Milwaukee City Center
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Milwaukee
Vassar Michigan
“A Hilton with the highest class”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I traveling on business was booked at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center. Upon my arrival I was greeted with the Doorman whom seem to be outside more than he was ever inside all three days. Happy and joyful to greet each limo sedan and van who dropped and picked up people. He made my day! Always smiling, eager to approach and ask you how your day was. And Impression for those entering the hotel!

I only stayed two nights, 3 days and upon arriving I found that the hotel was clean, accommodating to my needs and very helpful. I would say unless one is on business, I would not bring my family to stay here if I had small children, however, I didn't see many children even though they offered a water park, which was not open until Friday,Saturday and Sunday. The building itself was older and the upkeep was maintained! I would stay again on business. They have a Starbucks coffee shop and a Restaurant called the Chop House, I would price the menu at $$. There was another restaurant that served breakfast etc, However I didn't dine there. The bar was much more reasonable to me in price for a single woman traveling. Drinks average 7 dollars and Burgers etc roughly 10 dollar and up. Plus it stayed open late for those of us who have longer day schedules. Staff very good. I felt that the young girl whom waiting on me when I first checked in was a tad bit stressed, however I am sure that everyday demands of travelers can make one feel that way. She could of smiled more. As she at first made my first impression of the hotel a not so good one, after I thought the Doorman was awesome. Until I met most of the other staff then I knew she was having one of those so called bad days. First impressions often make a difference though! Every morning a USA today paper sat out side waiting my review and the view outside was the Milwaukee City. For those who travel on business and want to have that executive experience this is the hotel!!! There is a Shopping mall across the road in which I toured and found to be a dying mall with average stores. Not many other places to visit as most are offices etc. I did find an Applebee restaurant further down the road for those who do not want to pay a 50 dollar or higher food bill. Overall I give this hotel a 4 stars.

Room Tip: I was on the 19th floor, The view was of the City and the major highway. I was able actually to vie...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank poohdersdoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Korean first
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

The Hilton Milwaukee City Center is a huge, historic hotel located adjacent to the Delta (Frontier) Airlines convention center (skyway connection), and about three blocks from the Amtrak station. Staff were friendly, and the rooms large, clean, and comfortable. The public areas, especially the lobby, are stunning and beautifully maintained. There is no pool, but a waterpark is open on weekends for an additional charge. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Hilton HHonors Gold/Diamond members receive free Wifi and access to a lounge with free breakfast and evening snacks, otherwise there is a charge. Parking is quite expensive, although the ramp is connected to the hotel by a skyway.

There isn't usually a whole lot going on in downtown Milwaukee, unless there is a convention. There are a few restaurants within walking distance and a virtually abandoned shopping center.

This is a big convention hotel, in my opinion, a step above most.

Room Tip: Historic main building vs newer addition - your preference.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank blanker001
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Recently stayed here to attend a bucks game with our family. The location is great for the Bradley center, only a couple of blocks away. The only thing I didn't like was the additional $18/person to go into the waterpark! Normally the price of the room at least covers a few people, however ages 3 and up are $18 each! Too high for the extent of the waterpark. It's nice for young children, but not worth the price of admission. If you are just looking for a hotel it is great, if you are coming for the waterpark, bring your wallet!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SusieSobieskiWI
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hi Susie,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of our experience here on TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate your notes regarding our excellent location, and were happy you chose us to stay with when you attended the Bucks game (Go Bucks!).

We're always keen on receiving guest feedback and where appropriate turning that feedback into actionable changes regarding our operations. So in that regard, we certainly appreciate your candid words regarding the pricing of the waterpark here. We believe that the unique experience of a waterpark in the urban landscape of downtown Milwaukee is unmatched in our city, but we're always looking at ways to improve the experience.

Thanks again for your great review and your stay, we hope to see you and your family again next time you make it down to cheer on our Bucks.

Dustin Zick
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

My stay at this location wasn't what I expect from a Hilton. The service staff were friendly, but the property appears to be poorly maintained. The rooms were visibly dirty - dust on the desks, grime on the baseboards, snagged bedding, half hanging curtains, nail polish on the bathroom floor, poorly functioning shower, etc. My king-size bed also appeared to be broken - it had a very significant dip in the center - deep enough to cause me to slide into it. I also heard from multiple other guests staying at the hotel that their rooms were unsatisfactory - broken shower, excessively loud heating unit, and dirty rooms. Also, every noise resonates in this hotel - toilets flushing, people entering/leaving rooms, etc. Given the multiple alternative hotels in the area, I would not recommend staying at the Hilton

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank mommy2tendai
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Hi, Mommy2Tendai, I'm posting this response on behalf of our Director of Front Office Operations, Brandon Drusch.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Milwaukee. Please accept my apologies for the challenges you encountered throughout your visit. We pride ourselves on our ability to create a memorable experience while ensuring our guests have the utmost in quality and service. Your challenges have been shared with our team as it relates to service and quality deficiencies you experienced. I would be honored to have the privilege to speak with you directly at your earliest availability regarding the issues you have brought forward.

Regards,
Brandon Drusch
Director- Front Office Operations
414-271-7250
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

My Wife and I stayed here for two nights to celebrate our one year anniversary. The rooms are dated but do have nice furniture in them and the bed is comfortable. It's a short walk to a few streets with a lot of local businesses on them. The staff sent us up chocolate covered strawberries which was a nice gesture. The only complaint is saying they have a hot tub/jacuzzi is misleading. There is a water park in the hotel and you can use the hot tub there but it is only open on weekends. So there is no hot tub access on week days. Overall its a good place to stay if you want to get out and check out the city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jawkurt
Hi Jawkurt!

Thanks for your positive review here on TripAdvisor. Happy to hear that you and your wife decided to stay with us for your one-year anniversary and even more happy to hear that it was a positive experience.

I do want to apologize for the confusion regarding our hot tub/jacuzzi, as creating said confusion was certainly not intent. I'll be looking into a way we can better clarify the accessibility of the hot tub only being on weekends.

Thanks again for your stay and for this review, the next time you and your wife make it to Milwaukee, we hope that you will decide to stay with us again.

Thanks!

Dustin Zick
Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I understand old world & historic charm but that doesn't excuse dirty & broken. Paint over large chipped wood & chunks of wood missing from moldings. Dust & dirt on carpets (up in the crease between wall so you know it's been there a while). The elevators were dirty and had broken wood on walls. Bathroom so small the door hits the shower rod so you can't open door all the way. Also, 2 people can't fit at the same time. Grout in tub that looks like a 5 yr old did it. Miller Time Pub: burgers were dry and over cooked. Horrible. At night we had the people next door fighting then drunk guests yelling down hallway. We only got 2 hours sleep and couldn't wait to get out of there. NEVER have we ever had such a horrible stay at a Hilton. It was our celebration of our 25 wedding anniversary and all but the show we went to was terrible. I will say the staff was very nice, but clearly management has very low standards of clean. We have stayed at Hilton hotels before and never had this type of experience. I hope you take these comments to heart. We took the experience to heart. On a better note, they have a very nice indoor water park. We just walked through quickly, but it looked nice. Only comment would be they had blueish lighting and yellow would be a warmer more inviting choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie Q
HiltonMilwaukee, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Marilyn F -

I want to extend my deepest apologies on behalf of the Hilton Milwaukee City Center and our associates. The experience that you had at our property is not the standard that we demand of ourselves and what you expect as our guest.

I also want to thank you for choosing to be our guest and for taking the time to share your experience with the tripadvisor.com community. Thank you for sharing the specifics of your stay including your guest room, the Miller Time Pub and your experience with our staff.

I welcome the chance to discuss your experience further and to have the chance to personally welcome you back to the Hilton Milwaukee to ensure we can create new memories with you as our guest.

Jacob Ruck
Hilton Milwaukee
Hotem Manager
jacobruck@hiltonmilwuakee.com
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

I had come to Milwaukee on a business trip for a long term. I was recomended by my company to stay at the Hilton City Center.
I stayed at the Hiltons for a period of 6 months and the experience was a WOW!
The staff right from House Keeping dept. to Cafe, to Bar where very helpful and courteous in there services. Though I had stayed in an hotel but the wonderful services and hospitality of the Hiltons had made it my second home. I had made good friends in the Hotel staff.
I would definately recomend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business