New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #11 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Niles, Illinois
“Fun Winter Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Our family stayed here on a Saturday in January. After our seamless check-in, we headed to the pool area. It was perfect for our 3 year old twins. There was so much to keep them exploring and entertained. The water temperature was perfect. After awhile though, the air temperature could have been just a little warmer. The facility was pretty clean.
The rooms were nicely remodeled. We were on a floor with a lot of other kids and families.
It got kinda noisy at night, so I didn't feel bad when my kids were up at 6:30 am making noise.
It just goes with the territory when you are traveling with kids!
We loved that the hotel was self contained. No real reason to go outside since they had
restaurants for dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
Liberty Lake, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed here with my wife a few weeks ago. She stays here for work several times per year and has always talked about how nice it is. The hotel is clean, nicely decorated, and the rooms are great. The hotel is located perfectly to reach a large portion of the downtown area by foot and cabs are always at the ready should you need to travel a bit further. The staff is very friendly and helpful as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kristopher H
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Spent New Years Eve in Milwaukee, and found a good rate for the Hilton on priceline.com.
I called twice with questions, and both times all of the phone staff was very polite and friendly, even when they were busy.
Check in was a breeze, even with the reservation being under a different person's name, all I needed was my confirmation number.
The rooms were very clean, well maintained and were very nice looking. The walls/doors are not the most soundproof, but keep in mind that this is an older building, and the beds and pillows are so comfy, you will just drift off to sleep no matter what!
The hotel decor in all areas is very pretty, keeping with the 1920s/art deco charm.
My friends and I enjoyed our stay and we hope to come back soon!

Room Tip: Choose a corner room,we stayed in 731, and had an awesome view of two streets and it was a little bi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank travel12mb
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Check in with Bridget was great. Without me asking, she provided us with a free upgrade to a suite so that my family would have plenty of room to spread out. Dave provided a rollaway bed to us for free and extended our check out. Gary brought the bed up with a smile, and later came back to hand deliver the shirt that my son left in the pool area. The hotel is clean and centrally located, the pool is great, and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank PMcD68
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was really very nice. The hotel is gorgeous since it used to be a bank and the rooms and the bathrooms are huge! The staff was very friendly and the lady who checked us in even gave us complimentary wifi. The rooms were always cleaned promptly too. We never ate at the hotel but it's in a good location with nice places like the Capital Grill nearby. It is also right across the street from the convention center with a easily accessible sky walk connecting the fourth floor of the hotel to the convention center. I would definitely stay here again and I highly recommend it to anyone staying in the downtown area.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ariana M
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Was here with some buddies for a quick stay while coming back from Green Bay headed to Chicago. The property is a grand old hotel, which I appreciate in the form of the stately lobby areas. The hallways also were dated, but once in the room, you could tell they've spent quite a bit of time on renos. Sure the shower area still feels old, but otherwise I thought the room was nice and practical (we had a 2 DB room). The huge pool area looked great for families, but they had some chemical issue so we didnt even go into the area. The hotel location was fine too, easy to get around downtown and also from the interstate. All in all, a good stay was had.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GMROCKS
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was visiting Milwaukee to see my parents and attend the wedding of my niece. Although I had been staying with my parents, most family members were "farmed out" to a reserved block of rooms at the Hilton downtown. My room, a king single, was spacious, clean, and well-equipped, with a large and comfortable bed with more pillows than I knew what to do with. The rooms that I saw--and I was able to see a good selection of them by visiting other family members' rooms--were all good-sized and updated well. I had no problems with the corridor noise or thin walls to which some earlier reviewers have referred; everything was silent. Of course, I was in a room far away from the tower elevators but the hallways were quiet, and the closet and bath effectively insulated me from hearing anything from the adjacent room.

The one thing that brought my rating down a notch was the difficulty in checking in: The room had been reserved by the mother of the bride, my sister, and the desk clerks, who seemed to be rather inexperienced, had difficulty finding my name in the block and did not use much imagination or effort in finding it. It took me several hours to contact my sister who was busy at the wedding rehearsal and dinner and had switched off her cell phone ( I had arrived at the hotel shortly after 6:00 p.m., and it was around 10 p.m. when I finally reached her) , to get the reservation information in toto. Once I got the information and gave it to the clerks (it turned out that my name was, indeed, mentioned as the occupant of the room on the system), the desk clerks had me drag my brother-in-law down from his room (it was now 10:30 p.m., and he was in his pajamas) to show his credit card and picture ID to vouch for me, although the room would be paid on my own card, and I had shown my government-issued ID. I should note that both desk clerks were polite throughout the procedure, never curt or rude; they were just not experienced enough to navigate the reservation system well enough to handle a somewhat complex reservation without difficulty.

Since all the meals I had during my two-night stay were at the wedding venue, at outside restaurants, and at my parents' apartment (a brunch), I had no opportunity to sample the fare at the hotel's restaurants.

All in all, however, I enjoyed staying in a real downtown hotel from the 1920's--my late grandparents managed large hotels in Chicago and St. Louis during my childhood, which provided wonderful memories for a child in the 1950's and '60's--which is a kind of festive experience one cannot get from a soulless suburban hotel. Nevertheless, the quality of amenities and furnishings provided at this hotel were as up to date and top notch as any newer chain hotel. This is a good place to stay if you get a good rate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dustin Z, Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Hi pete1146,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and review here on TripAdvisor. Let me first apologize for the difficulty you had in checking in. Our Front Desk leadership staff are constantly working to improve our procedures and make the check-in process as seamless and painless as possible. The difficulties you experienced are certainly not the ideal standard we work towards. Also, thank you for pointing out that our clerks were polite throughout the ordeal - often when customers have issues such as your own, the attitude of our staff isn't noted - and I'm certainly happy to read that they were polite throughout.

All and all, I'm very happy to see that despite this snafu, your experience still remained, on the whole, a positive one. That is what we like to hear, and we're glad to have regaled you in the historic beauty of our property - it truly is one-of-a-kind.

We hope that should you visit Milwaukee again in the future, you will choose to stay with us again - and that this time around your check-in will be a piece of cake.

Thank you again!