“Wonderful Experience”

Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Dyer, Indiana
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Went to this Hotel with my wife and had a great time. Nice restaurant/bar called Miller Time Pub but also had an upscale pricier option called the "Chophouse" which I heard was very good. Nice location about a 20 minute walk to downtown. Older Hotel with a lot of character and water park for kids. A very comfortable bed that I could have slept all day in. Friendly staff who was happy to help. Overall I would go back to this hotel and strongly recommend it to anyone else!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
HiltonMilwaukee, Front Office Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2011
Dear Pat H. -

Thank you so much for the review of the Hilton Milwaukee! Our property is on the Western Edge of Downtown Milwaukee within a 2 block walk of the Bradley Center, Us Cellular Center and the Frontier Airlines Center. The Lakefront is 1.14 miles to the East with much of the downtown in this area!

Hilton Milwaukee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Korean first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Our first and only stay. We reserved a room, within a reserved block of rooms, with a check-in time of 3:00 PM. At 4:30, our room was still not ready, nor were many of the other rooms within the reserved block. Consequently, we were split up from the rest of our party, as were other guests. The carpeting on the way was in great need of vacuuming. There were crumbs everywhere, and dirty dishes littered the hallway. Wanting to shower after the wedding we attended, we found that there was no hot water, as did the bride and groom who were also staying there. The water. In the morning, was hot. Room was clean, other than the ball of knotted hair stuck in the basket of the coffee maker. Upon check-out, we voiced our complaints, but they fell on deaf ears.

Room Tip: Walls on the 16th floor are thin. We did not reserve a connecting room on this floor but had to take...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Kfj1_49 -

I am very sorry to hear of the issues you faced as our Guest at the Hilton Milwaukee. I look forward to being able to speak with you directly to ensure that the wrongs during your stay are made right and that we have the chance to welcome you back in the future!

Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This was a quick one night stay while traveling on business. The hotel met our expectations and while it is an older hotel, the rooms were comfortable and wireless internet access was available which is the key for business travel. Check in was smooth and the staff friendly.

The sports bar was nice and offered typical Milwaukee beers. We used the honors lounge for breakfast.

The hotel is centrally located although our GPS wanted to get to the front door which was a bit tricky as we kept running into streets which prevented us from turning the way we wanted. When we finally got there, we found out we needed to go to the parking garage next door (since we didn't want to valet).

Dear TXLonestar -

We are very glad to have had the chance to welcome you to the Hilton Milwaukee from Houston, Texas! I am pleased to hear that our service and amenities made for such an enjoyable stay while in Milwaukee! Please do hesitate to call and let us when we can expect you back from the Lonestar State!

Jacob
London, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. Without exception the staff were friendly and helpful, the food was plentiful and hot and tasty and the room was very clean.

Room Tip: Starbuck attached to hotel!
Dear Londonmouse_111 -

Thank you so much for the review and kind words for the Hilton Milwaukee!

ctyadmcc
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I spent 6 nights at this hotel and had a very pleasant experience. The lobby is nice, but I didn't really appreciate it until I was standing around waiting for a friend. I'd suggest taking a few minutes to look at all the detail in the room! The attached parking was great, with quick and easy access to the lobby and elevators.
The room design was a bit dated. The bathroom was small will very little counter space. The lighting was poor in both the bathroom and main room. However, the workstation was excellent - great spot to work and lay things out. The bed was very comfortable and had a nice alarm clock. The flat screen TV was well situated. Overall is was a nice room to spend 6 nights in.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. I interacted with them on numerous occasions and they were always friendly and anxious to help out. The entire hotel seemed well managed.
The HHonors lounge is located just off the lobby, rather than on the top floor. I liked this arrangement. Once inside, the lounge was fantastic - probably the nicest Hilton concierge lounge I've seen.
If you're attending a conference next door, the skywalk is convenient and keep you out of the hot or cold. On the other side, you can listen to Polka music while you ride the escalator. Overally I had a very enjoyable stay at the Hilton Milwaukee.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Styadmcc -

Your review of our property was very detailed! Thank you for writing in and for choosing to be our guest! As you mentioned our Historic 28 property does have a very unique collection of room designs creating a varying size and design of our bathrooms as well! Our 2001 addition, affectionately referred to as our West Wing has large bathrooms with full vanities which I encourage all of our guests to request if the need is present for a larger bathroom!

I look forward to your return and the chance to welcome you home to the Hilton Milwaukee!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I don’t know the history on this historic hotel, but it is quite lovely and kept in great condition. Being connected to the Frontier Airlines convention center across the street via skybridge makes this an ideal spot for conventions and conferences.

The Lobby: The lobby is a little confusing. When you are dropped off at the front door, you walk inside and it’s not real obvious where to go to check in. You actually have to go up one floor. The lobby is not big and expansive as you see in most modern upper-end hotels, but is historic and lovely. The front desk staff are helpful and friendly.

The Room: As I understand it, there is a newer part and an older part to the hotel. I was in the older part, known as the tower, on the 16th floor. The room itself was nicely sized with a updated bathroom. Granite countertop sink, standard tub with a bowed out shower curtain. The bathroom was quite clean and the water pressure and temperature regularity was quite good.

The bed wasn’t great. The mattress felt a little dated and did not provide the type of support that allows me to sleep well. There were ample pillows though.

In terms of this being a hotel for business travelers or convention goers though, I was very disappointed. Despite valiant efforts, I could not get wireless internet in the room. I even spent some time on the phone with their tech support dude and he concluded that there was something strange going on where my room was located and wifi was out of the question. He recommended that I just request a “box” from the front desk so that I could get a wired connection.

The front desk happened to be all out of “boxes” during my entire stay. It wasn’t until my last day there that I was informed the “box” wouldn’t have worked for my room anyway because all it was was a signal booster and not a wired connection. I was then told that the tower doesn’t have wired connections. I wish I had been told that when I asked on my first day there! So, I never had internet in my room. As a business traveller, I considered this a major demerit.

There also was no fridge in the room. While this isn’t standard at all hotels, it has become somewhat commonplace in upper end hotels, such as Hiltons.

Heating and Air: Perhaps this was the result of the age of the building, but it seemed like getting the rooms to the right temp was always a struggle. My first day there, I spent 6 hours in a meeting room which was way too hot. Despite numerous requests, it seemed it never cooled off. A hot, stuffy room is not exactly conducive to good business meetings.

The temperature in my room the first night was just right. Unexplainably, the second night was quite warm in the room even though the thermostat had not been touched.

Other accommodations in the room were good: Flat panel TV with good clear HD channels and an in-room coffee maker.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the restaurant in the hotel; the Milwaukee Chophouse. I should probably give it a separate review. As you will see from TripAdvisor, this restaurant ranks among the highest in Milwaukee (at the time of this review anyway). And for good reason. It was a wonderful steakhouse. I had dinner there with a group of 15 people. We ate in the private dining room in the back. The service was attentive and the steaks were among the best I’ve had in a while. I had a filet mignon which melted in my mouth and was cooked to perfection. I also had a chocolate cake for desert which was way too big, but somehow I couldn’t stop eating it!

Overall, I found the hotel to be lovely and historic. The staff was great and the place was kept clean and neat. If they can make the rooms a little friendlier for business travelers, I'm certain this hotel would rate much higher on TripAdvisor.

Room Tip: If you want Internet in the room, ask for one of the newer rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Irish89 -

Thank you so very much for the detail and time you but into the review of the Hilton Milwaukee! We are constantly trying to improve of service and your comments are greatly appreciated! Our West Wing does offer both Wired and Wireless internet as you mentioned, in addition we are in the first stages of adding to our wireless connectivity and speed by updating of routers on each floor. We have installed and tested (just yesterday) these new routers on the 12th, 14th and 15th floors of the Tower section of the hotel!

I look forward to your return for you to experience the upgrades WIFI we have to offer!

Chicago
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We were at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center because of a conference at the site and were pleased with the accommodations. The staff was polite and helpful, although you often found yourself waiting in line at the front desk if you actually wanted to talk to someone instead of just phoning down with a question. The room we had was a two double bed unit on a corner, which I think made it a little larger than the regular room. It was spacious and the beds comfortable.

We arrived very early (like 9 a.m. early) for check in and were not surprised to find there were no rooms ready yet. We were able to check our bags with the bell hop (no charge) and were given a note/receipt from the desk so that we immediately got our in-out privileges from the parking garage ($24/day). Staff was also willing to point us toward several different dining options, not just those attached to the hotel (although the attached Miller Time Pub was good for the light meal we had there one night and reasonably priced for any establishment attached to a large, business-oriented hotel).

There were some drawbacks though, keeping it from a perfect five rating. Being an older hotel, the wooden room door had some gaps around the edges, allowing light into the room. While I definitely felt secure with the door, every time I rolled over and faced that direction during the night, the light would wake me slightly. The hotel also has a small water park instead of a regular swimming pool -- which also comes with an $18/day fee unless you have a water park package room. Apparently you can use the hot tub without paying the fee, but it never worked into our schedule to see just how that really worked. Water park also seemed more oriented toward smaller children, so not sure how older kids would really like it.

Overall, a very pleasant stay and we would definitely consider staying here on our next trip to Milwaukee.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room if available ... from what we saw of other rooms while the housekeeping staff...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HiltonMilwaukee, Front Office Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Dear Nero69 -

Thank you for choosing to be our guest on your recent visit from Chicago! I truly appreciate the details your have shared with Tripadvisor.com community! I look forward to your return in the future for another getaway to Milwaukee!

Hilton Milwaukee City Center