“Above and Beyond Service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Milwaukee City Center

Ranked #12 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Phoenix, AZ
“Above and Beyond Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

I recently stayed that the Hilton Milwaukee City Center for work and had an exceptional experience with the hotel staff. One of the girls I was working with called me in the middle of the night saying that she was needing to go to the hospital. When I got to her room there was a security guard there named Ladora with her. Ladora went above and beyond by helping out my colleague. Not only did she call 911 for her but she stayed with her and comforted her through the whole time, as well as helping her prepare for her trip to the hospital. I could see that she truly cared and it made a world of difference in the bad situation. Ultimately things turned out okay with my colleague at the ER and when it was time to make our way back to the hotel, it was Ladora that came to pick us up. It was her kind heart and exceptional service that makes me recommend this hotel. The Hilton Milwaukee City Center hotel will make you feel welcome from the moment you pull up to the curb. It offers outstanding service, comfortable accommodations, great food and a perfect location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonMilwaukee, Front Office Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Jodie085 -

Thank you so very much for your kind words concerning one of our assocaites Eldora! I have passed along your comments as it is wonderful to hear the positiive comments regarding our team! I am very glad you choose to be our guest and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Korean first
Marathon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

Our family of 3 stayed here 22-24; I made reservations based on what travelers said here"request the newer part", which I did with 70,000 Hilton points. When we got to the hotel, I asked for an upgrade in the same section,and asked again when we were given an upgrade to a king and sleeper sofa if this was in the newer section. Reassurred many times. Upon entering the room it was highly questioned if this was really a 'newer' section. The room was very warm, we set the thermostat on 64 thinking it would cool off while we were at dinner. Came back to the room with it even warmer and set the thermostat at 62 to get cooled b4 going to bed. Didn't work.At 1:20am I called the desk and asked about it as the 3 of us were still awake. They could send engineer up - said as soon as possible in the morning. Called in am to make sure engineer would come, closed our drapes & left for the day for museum, came back to blinds open and thermostat at 70,thinking maybe someone came in but turned it up. Turned it down,went to dinner, showered and came back to no improvement. Called the front desk and for the 1st time was told we were in the 'remodeled'section where "all the rooms run on the hotel thermostat and it takes 3 days for the hotel to get to that temp", and you cannot control the heat/air in your room,;he clerk said we were put in the remodeled section when we asked for an upgrade..we didn't get an upgrade, we got a downgrade. 2 sleepless nites in a hotel does not make for satified customers and I know this is not the Hilton standards.Communication was poor, and it took at least 4 times b4 someone told me the truth about the thermostat. I am not sure why there are even thermostats in each room if you can't do anything with them! I went to to the manager at 7:20pm and asked why this happened and she offered to move us. OK-we are on our 2nd nite, it is 7:20pm, have showered and we should move?I felt that was offered to cover themselves but it didn't make any sense to me nor to the Hilton Customer Service when I notified them. This was not a 70,000point weekend stay and I would not even recommentd the hotel, due to the poor communication and honesty. They poured alot of money into the lobby but should pour some into the rooms. The pictures can speak for themselves as far as upkeep. Very disappointed and not worth the points spent .
The beds were soft and not Hilton standards, the size was adequate. no coffee machine for multiple cups, only a single cup machine. Bathroom upkeep is alot to be desired with water damage,a nd mold,dents out of the woodwork,etc.
Also, noone mentions that the waterpark is additional price, is not included in the room stay,and is very expensive unless you cut a deal.The guy at the waterpark said he had been trying to get the hotel to change this for a long time but 'noone listens'. Hmmm... also the waterpark is really only for 10 and under and not that big. There is no pool per se, so they really shouldn't have the swimming symbol on their amenities.
And if you're an indoor dog lover this is the hotel for you-they just don't belong in this hotel with restaurants, conference rooms, etc. They were all over and I am not talking little purse sized ones; long hair huge dogs.
After staying in DC in March,where the customer was put first, maintenance needs were met immediately,and staff were top notch, this hotel falls way short for a Hilton name.
There was a very nice female clerk and that was a postiive.
We were offered a breakfast on Easter sunday and the mgr. said they would comp the points back-so far no points. Have involved Hiton Customrer Service. Honesty would have made this experience a whole lot better.

Room Tip: keep looking
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank jaden6WI
HiltonMilwaukee, Front Office Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, May 4, 2011
jaden6WI -

I am very sorry to hear about the issues you faced as our guest at the Hilton Milwaukee! While you were our guest as you mentioned we did refund your Honors Points in full as well as offer complimentary breakfast Sunday Morning.

Our engineering team has been alerted to and corrected with issues in the bathroom as well, and I have personally inspected the bed in question to ensure that is up to our standards as well as those of Hilton Hotels and Resorts!

I hope you will have the chance to return to Milwaukee and experience what the Hilton Milwaukee has to offer!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

For my company they mentioned they offered a "Grab & Go Breakfast" in the mornings. Its advertised on a slip included with our key and the shuttle driver even mentioned it. The driver talked it up saying something about danishes & fruit. So of course I was highly disappointed to find only a kids granola bar and coffee being offered as this "Grab & Go Breakfast" that was mentioned. To top during my most recent stay last week I stopped off at the front desk to grab coffee on my way out and found nothing. I ask the 2 ladies at front desk if the "Grab & Go" had been relocated and they actually had the nerve to tell me it had already run out for the morning....it was 4:45AM mind you. Typical Marcus Corp hotel...full of empty promises and let downs. Guess even the cut back was cut back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank chicagobrad01
chicagobrad01 -

I am very sorry to hear about the miscommunication regarding our Grab and Go Breakfast that is offered exclusively for your company. The breakfast as you mentioned does include coffee, apples and granola bars but at this time we do not offer any fresh danish. When you return please reach out to me directly as I would like to ensure that you have a more comfortable stay and that we take care of anything that may arise while you are our guest!

Temple, texas, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

We had booked reservations at the Hilton two months prior to our stay. When we arrived, we were told that there were no rooms available. The closest hotel was about a mile from where we were. This would not have been so bad except we were attending a conference that was next door to the Hilton. Now we had to figure out transportation to and from our event. In addition, the convenience of having our rooms within easy walking distance was no longer available to us.

The staff at the Hilton was apathetic to our situation. They did look for other hotels and agreed to comp the first night but that was nominal compared to the inconvenience.

If you have an alternative, don’t stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Hicksito
HiltonMilwaukee, Front Office Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Dear Mr. Hicks ~

Thank you so much for the feedback that you shared related to your experience at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center. First of all, allow me to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered relating to the lack of room availability for your confirmed reservation with us. Additionally, I apologize for the manner in which you were treated when you arrived at our property.

I look forward to speaking with you further and having the chance to welcome you back as our guest!

Plymouth, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

This is a Grand Dame that has been lovingly updated. The room had new carpet and furniture. The bed, linens and towels were plush and clean.

The King superior room was huge and very clean. It was on the 23rd floor and had a great view to the west. Only issue with room was that it did not have a refrigerator. I believe they are available for a charge.

I ordered dessert and coffee from room service- it was delivered within 20 minutes, was accurate and was delicious. Breakfast at the hotel restaurant was also good, if not just a little expensive.

Parking is very convenient in attached parking garage. $24/day with in and out privileges is nothing for a downtown hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
coso333 -

Thank you very much for being our guest and for sharing your great experience at the Hilton Milwaukee! We were glad to welcome you as our guest and look forward to your return!

chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

Nothing special. I got the hotel off of priceline for really cheap. They put me in a queen room, which was tiny and nice.

There was no mini bar or anything. They had a coffee maker which had surprisingly good coffee.

Nice bed and tv. Beyond that nothing special.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
thetr0se -

Thank you for being our guest and for sharing your review of our property with the Tripadvisor. Our queen rooms are very cozy and perfect for the single traveler! As you mentioned we do not provide a mini bar or refrigerator in our guest rooms however refrigerators and microwaves are available at a $35 dollar charge per stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

The staff, the restaurants, the bar, the location were all excellent. The rooms were built "back in the day" and so are small by US standards. We paid $15 extra for a corner room which was much smaller than expected, but that was all right (aside from the fact that this airlines-type extra charge for things was annoying--what next ? $10 more if you want a bed?). There is a newly remodeled section, which I wish I'd known to ask for because the sound-proofing in our section was terrible and we could hear every word said at the party next door that lasted until 2:30 a.m. They did quiet down when security asked them too (and said "So sorry. We had no idea." Really? Really? Must have been their first night in a hotel ever)

Room Tip: Ask for one in the remodeled section!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RamblersOhio
HiltonMilwaukee, Front Office Manager at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
RamblersOhio -

Thank you very much for choosing to be our guest and for reviewing out hotel on Tripadvisor.com! As you mentioned our Grand Dame was built in 1928 and does have a lot of character that goes with that time! Throughout the years our property has been renovated and updated; going from over 800 rooms to 500 rooms and then to our current 729 rooms with our 2001 addition of our West Wing and Waterpark Paradise Landing. These renovations have again given our hotel immense character and created many different room layouts.

Thank you for also mentioning our upgrade program which does allow our guests to upgrade their rooms to corner rooms, our king superior suites and even to our king junior suites if these rooms are available at check in. This upgrade program can end up giving our guests an upgraded room at a discounted rate!

Our corner rooms feature larger bathrooms and usually a quite atmosphere away from the hallway traffic, I would like to apologize for the noise that was an issue during your stay. I am pleased to hear that our security team addressed the issue!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Milwaukee City Center, perhaps for Summerfest or a Brewer’s game!