“Amazing Stay”

Ranked #40 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Warrenpoint, United Kingdom
“Amazing Stay”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My partner and myself have just returned from a stay at the Metro Hotel in Milwaukee. When we arrived we were greeted by Chris the newly appointed Hotel Manager, who immediately upgraded us to a King Suite and throughout our stay could not do enough fro us . The Hotel is listed on the Historic Hotels of America. It was opened in 1937 and has been refurbished in line with its original streamlined art deco design. Our suite was an unusual corner suite looking out on the corner of Mason Street. It had a Jacuzzi bath and a fully stocked mini bar with everything you might want. All of the staff were so friendly and helpful, advising us what to see in Milwaukee, which is a beautiful city. If I ever have the pleasure to visit Milwaukee again , I will be staying at the Metro. Thanks again to Chris , the Manager who was very courteous and attentive.

Room Tip: Ask for Chris.
1 Thank Tricia R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Prairie Village, Kansas
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The rooms are rather large, and if you like art deco you will think it is pretty cool. I found my room to be run down and a bit beat up. I am particularly sensitive to smell, but sensitivity is not needed here as you can smell the cleaning agents as they smack you in the face... this always makes me curious about the chemicals I am touching and what they are covering up?

All the said the staff was very friendly and helpful, which sometimes is harder to find than you would think. Kudos to the staff!!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Hotel Metro is in a re-purposed older building in MKE. This is how a "Vintage" property should be brought up to today's standards. (Are you listening National Hotel, South Beach?) Rooms are VERY spacious with large well equipped bathrooms (complete with towel warmers for those MKE winter mornings) Friendly employees, excellent service, reasonable rates, neat and clean premises ~ this is simply an excellent place to stay. Workout room on top floor with a nice urban view. Convieniently located in downtown with plenty of dining options within easy walking distance.

Insider tip: $2 good draft beers in the bar from 3-6pm daily (it's MKE!) Also, later in the evening grab a nightcap and head up the the spa/workout room floor. There is a great deck off the spa with city views.

Room Tip: I'd pick 504 :)
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I was also visiting MKE for the triathlon national championship, along with 10 of my teammates. The previous reviewer listed a lot of the same things we loved about it: proximity to Lake Michigan/Discovery World, restaurants, running paths, clean & spacious rooms, and it can not be overstated how amazingly accomodating and friendly the entire staff at the hotel was. I am so impressed by the high level of service and I will absolutely be staying here again next year! :) Also, the cruiser bikes that the hotel had available were so much fun!!

• Stayed August 2013
FAIRFAX
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed 2 nights a week ago (Aug 9 & 10, 2013) at this hotel, for a triathlon at Lake Michigan. EVERYTHING about my stay here was fabulous. First -- excellent service. Friendly people, very helpful, and made me feel very welcome. Second -- the hotel design & decor: FUNKY & COOL! Love the colors, the feel, the cleanliness and the high funky factor. Reminded me of my beloved Portland Oregon boutique hotels :) Third -- awesome food! I had dinner and breakfast at the hotel and loved it. Terrific service at the restaurant, and healthy, tasty food. Fourth -- location. We were half mile from Lake Michigan, the Art Museum and Discovery World. If you're a swimmer, runner or cyclist, you are 1/2 mile from some great workout locations! But the hotel has a GREAT little workout facility if you'd rather be indoors :) We're also a few blocks from the River Walk, which was beautiful at sunset. Lots of little restaurants and lovely views. Only one note of caution about this hotel: if you have a room facing Mason Street, there's a bar a block away where motorcyclists without mufflers love to party, 'til 2am. So if you're wanting to get a quiet night's sleep, try to stay away from the rooms on that side of the hotel. Despite the noise, I would not have moved to a different hotel. I LOVE LOVE LOVED IT!!! I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
amsterdam
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Last minute booked trip to Milwaukee and had no idea where to start with hotels as I'd not been in a good 15 years. Hotel Metro was a lovely overall experience.

Staff were really exceptional. Booked room directly by phone with Chelsea who was accommodating and friendly. Dealt with Vanya at the Front Desk who was personable and had good local recommendations. Had breakfast in the hotel restaurant the next morning and Sara was just overall great - amicable and efficient.

The room - on the 6th floor (609, I believe) was nicely decorated and a really interesting space; I very much appreciated that it didn't look like a typical hotel room, both in layout and also because of its art deco style. The ceiling has seen better days (the building is definitely showing its age) but it didn't bother me. Bed and pillow are very, very soft - so good if you're into that, perhaps not the best, if you're not.

The hot tub, fitness room and Zen Garden on the 7th floor were also a plus. Nobody else around so we had the place to ourselves.

Within walking distance to the Art Museum and a bunch of great restaurants, also the summer trolley service stops right across the street.

Think I would have had an issue paying $500 for one night and a meal, but as we paid much, much less than this, I was very satisfied with the value.

Would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 609 does not face the street, so while it does not have a nice view, it is very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
United States
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The staff was great, but when I reserved the room I had a package option which wasn't noted anywhere. Good thing I had my receipt to prove it, but then our time was wasted because of it.

We ate at the hotel in the evening and the food was excellent, but a hair in the appetizer wasn't very appetizing.

While taking a shower I noticed some black spots starting about eye level and up. I thought maybe it was just the coloration of the tiles, but when I wiped with a washcloth I realized it was mildew or mold. In either case it was disgusting and not okay for the staff to only clean half of the shower.

This hotel has potential if only they would do the last little bit of what they should be doing. When we spend $500 for a nights stay and a meal in the same place we expect it to be at least good if not great. I hope for the sake of others staying here that my experience was just a series of unfortunate events.

Our last interaction with this hotel was the best. Upon checkout we asked where a good seafood restaurant was. The manager told us a location and was right. It was good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple