“Wedding stay with kids, close to top notch experience.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #39 of 54 Hotels in Milwaukee
Michigan
“Wedding stay with kids, close to top notch experience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Service: I'd like to start this review by saying we were staying at Hotel Metro 2 nights for a wedding. I called the day I received the invite with the room code. The person who answered the phone was incredibly unhelpful and uncaring. It set a very bad tone for me. I emailed the hotel and requested someone call me to discuss my reservation but no one ever called. Having said that, when we arrived, it took a lot to get rid of my negative impression. But the staff while we were there turned out to be outstanding. The valets/doormen were especially nice along with Angie at the front desk. Although we did have to call several times to get a rollaway and extra blankets - they were nice about it.

Room: We had a king suite (no fireplace) that faced the city, though the windows are incredibly old and thick so it was hard to see out anyway. No fireplace meant we had a full length sofa, which was good since we had 4 ppl in the room. The room had many tables/chairs, lots of space until we put the rollaway in there. Nice TV's, good privacy wall. A/C was good, full minibar that we didn't use.

Bathroom: Big bathroom but the tub takes up most of the space - not much counter space and a small shower. Bathtub was nice, good warm water and Aveda products including bath salts. Robes were quite plush.

Food: We ate breakfast twice, approx $10 per entree for yummy pancakes and meat, though it took a long time to come out of the kitchen. Room service was the same price. Wedding food, especially steak was delicious. Again, wedding service staff was top notch.

Pool/Zen on 7: Access floor 7 via floor 6 stairway and come out to an indoor whirlpool (open 5 am - midnight but no swimming pool) and sauna, indoor bar, indoor workout room, but outdoor rooftop walkway/patio around the perimeter which has nice views.

Noise: Prior reviewers mentioned the noise. Indeed loud music next door til late on weekends but on the 4th floor, with the A/C on medium fan we barely heard it.

Location: Adjacent to Pfister, closest place for snacks and pop is Metro Mart about 4 blocks away. Lakefront and Discovery World are walkable.

Honestly, if it weren't for that inital poor reservationist, this might have been a 5 star review.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

My mom, sister and I came here for a girls' weekend a few months back. The hotel itself is located in a fabulous spot, near some great restaurants, music venues and fun shopping. The style of the inside is art deco and really fun, with interesting room layouts. The bathroom was really impressive, with a soaking tub the size of a small pool and some very high-end toiletries to help make our stay that much better. The mattresses were very comfy, and there was ample storage space between the closet and drawers. The minibar area was well stocked, although we were bummed out that they really skimped on the coffee: when it's obviously a suite meant to sleep far more than just two people, at least let there be enough coffee kurig pods/fixin packs for each person to have a cup of coffee-because the fact that there was a Kurig was such an opulent touch-it would have been nice for us each to have been able to enjoy a cup of coffee. That, and the air conditioner is SUPER loud. Luckily, I'm a white noise sleeper, so that was fine for me, but I could see a lighter sleeper being very put off by that.
The staff couldn't have been nicer. And the hotel has this darling british-style cab that you can have take you anywhere/pick you up within a certain mile radius. We had concert tickets that night and it sure was nice to have them drop us right out front and pick us up after!
The restaurant located on the premises is fabulous for both breakfast and dinner.
I'd come back in a heartbeat. What a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I love this hotel! Staff is friendly, rooms are huge, design is beautiful, and the restaurant is good. It's almost as nice as being at home (well maybe better since I don't have to do any of the cooking or cleaning!) Very comfortable! Highly suggested!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Western Springs, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

This specific location within downtown Milwaukee is great - tons of cute little restaurants in the surrounding blocks, short walk to Water Street, all of the major venues, lakefront. It was only a few dollars more for a king suite - which was actually a really nice space - separate living room area (with a gas fireplace) and a large bathroom with a large tub with jets and a separate shower (and little perks like the heat lamp and towel warmer).
Decor was a little cheezy, but being in a historic building makes up for it.
The attached bar has a nice happy hour deal. Room service ends early and is limited. We got back later and wanted dessert - so the restaurant sent some up - they looked great but didn't taste great - so if you have a sweet tooth like us I would suggest picking up something at one of the restaurants on the block (there was was a wine / chocolate place - what were we thinking passing that up??)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Great Midwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Is this the absolute finest place to stay in Milwaukee? Probably not but it all depend on what you are looking for so make sure it is right for you before you go. At the end of the day its the responsibility of traveler to make sure where ever he is staying is right for him so do your research. My buddy and I crossed Lake Michigan on the Lake Express car ferry on our Harleys to visit the Harley Museum in downtown Milwaukee and we stayed here for one reason and one reason only. This is thee "only" hotel in downtown with both a sauna and Jacuzzi. That's the only reason we stayed here because after riding 300 miles on a Harley these things are essential. The hotel is in a prime location with in walking distance or a very short drive to any attraction in downtown. You can walk to the river front for dining or even to the lake and the Harley Museum is just 10 minutes away. In my opinion I think that the reason some may not like this hotel is because it is not a traditional historic hotel like the Pfister next door. The rooms in this hotel are all modern art deco and the rooms have a lofty feel to them. Check in took about 25 minutes cause the girl working the front desk was there alone and she was too busy taking new reservations over the phone leaving the guests in front of her waiting. The room itself was clean and tidy and lots of towels and a nice mini bar that was well stocked. The beds and pillows were good and we got a good nights rest. There is a nice lounge and restaurant in the hotel lobby but we didn't eat there but the drinks were fine. The hotel is definatley over priced at $280.00 per night but it had what we wanted. A better choice would have probably been the Pfister next door but I would not have had my sauna or Jacuzzi. There are some less priced hotels in town so do your research. If you don't mind a 10 minute drive from downtown the Holiday Inn Express is great. Knowing what I know now I would stay just outside of downtown at the Holiday Inn Express. The short driver is worth the savings and the hotel is much newer.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Mason Street can be quite loud. Inside rooms are more quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank caymankid
Mequon, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I rarely feel compelled to write a review but this stay really was unimpressive, especially based on the Metro's high-end image and price. Despite an advanced reservation in which I was assured a certain style of suite layout, we ended up in a "conference room" suite, so most of the space in the room was devoted to a potential business meeting, despite my booking a romance package - which made no sense. (I was offered a $25 restaurant voucher when I brought this room issue up with the front desk staff.) The room faced a parking garage over an alley and the "beeping" of a service truck at 4:30am was obviously a negative. Despite an advanced request for their antique cab ride to dinner, I was called 30 minutes prior and told there was a conflict and they needed their shuttle for other guests, so because I couldn't rush down right away for the shuttle I just ended up taking my own car to dinner. The next morning (Sunday) the desk clerk had no suggestions on a local church and just pointed us to the computer in the lobby if we wanted to use it. (Not the service you expect from a "high-end" hotel.) The final straws were financial as they charged my bank card twice for the room hold and I had to get my bank involved to correct the error. There were also mistaken charges from the mini-bar which had to be resolved, probably because house-keeping didn't account for the prior guest usage of items which were posted to our stay.
The Metro is a very unique property with lots of potential - but without the proper service levels and attention to detail it will unfortunately continue to disappoint discerning guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Greg M
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

This 'boutique' hotel in the heart of Milwaukee's location is its most redeeming quality. I spent a few nights here over Memorial Day and found the rooms to lack any true aesthetic appeal. The bathroom was large and the amenities provided were of above average quality, but the furniture and bed were not the most comfortable.

The staff wasn't the friendliest and though they weren't rude or off putting, they rarely if ever went out of they way to make our stay more comfortable. Normally I would be quite indifferent to this, however for a hotel that bills itself as high end, and charges accordingly, should be significantly better than this.

The whole stay felt underwhelming and unimpressive. I've paid less for much better experiences in cities all over the world...next time I find myself in Milwaukee ill look elsewhere for accommodation.

• Stayed May 2013