Hotel Metro
  • Breakfast included
$279
GardenInn.com
  • Restaurant
Comfort Suites Milwaukee - Park Place(Milwaukee)(Great Value!)
$84
$117
$209
$187
  • Room Service
Potawatomi Hotel & Casino(Milwaukee)(Great Value!)
$194
The Pfister Hotel(Milwaukee)
$271
$253
Priceline
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsspa suitecurved wallhot tub and saunacd playerart decodowntown milwaukeesitting areamini barrooftop barboutique hotelvalet parkingliving roomhuge roomwedding nightflat screenmilwaukee art museumold building
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Just stayed at Metro on the evening of the 8th. I am local to the area, but had a very late Annual night out planned with business clients and always rent a room to avoid driving.
I ordinarily get a room at the Pfister, but thought I'd try Metro.
-Pulled up to the valet, pleasant, polite, really great guy. Good start!
-Checked in at 1:30, room was ready! Yay! Great staff. Pleasant and helpful.
-"Spa Room" was a clean, comfortable room...had a large tub in the middle of it. I think that is the reference to "spa" because there wasn't anything else to illustrate that title. Nice Room. I was content.
--Left the hotel for a really late night. Didn't get back until 2am. That's ok! I was going to sleep in! I was in the relaxing "spa room"...after all, surely I will rest well and peacefully! NO.
--I woke up to a horrifying shake of the bed. Over and over...at an extremely early hour. The bed was literally SHAKING AND MOVING. With very loud bangs. Freaked out, I reached for the phone to call the front desk...The phone did not work. They either never bothered to activate it when I checked in, or it was broken. I was exhausted, and needed to sleep, but the banging continued. Apparently they were working on something in whatever room was located just under mine. What on EARTH? What kind of hotel does that without checking first to see if there are guests above?

I tried in vain to get back to sleep but the banging continued. Finally, I just got up and left the hotel. Really irritated that I paid for a "spa room" which indicates some sort of tranquil atmosphere and got an earthquake...a SHAKING BED! and loud noises. Oh, and the elevators were really loud as well. I DID tell the nice woman at the front desk about the situation when I checked out. She looked surprised and was very apologetic but that was it. Just let me walk off unhappy.

Sorry Metro, you've got a lot of good things going for you but that was an idiotic move. Back to Pfister next year. QUIET. 3 stars for the nice people who greeted me on the first day. That's all I've got and I won't go back.

Room Tip: Don't expect quiet in a spa room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LikesBooksWi
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went back to celebrate our first year anniversary. Milwaukee has great restaurants and we wanted to eat at Benelux and Balzacs. I forgot to check my own review and booked the same room. Yes it's my fault but the bad memories had been overshadowed by the good times on the honeymoon.

The second stay was the nail in the coffin for this place.

Pros
Courteous valet staff
Excellent in room hot tub
Keurig Coffee
Fireplace
Location location location
Extremely Comfortable Bed -

Cons
-Had to repair toilet handle
-Bathroom sink still clogs up, yes this was a problem year before
-HVAC is loud and didn't work very well, again
-Dirty windows

-Superficially nice customer service. I had called to request some fanfare for our anniversary- leave note for the wife, etc, request some chocolates,make the return special - (I had said I would pay whatever was needed,) the response - nothing, yes, hard to believe. Here is the suggestion for Hotel Metro management: A customer calls and says, "Hey, I'm coming back to your hotel to try it again and celebrate our 1 year.". Manager, front desk staff, take piece of paper, write note, congratulations on your 1 year and welcome back. Simple, added bonus, charge customer 5$- 20$ for some chocolate, especially when they told you that's what they wanted.

-Last nuisance room service double charged us, I was told I needed to go and find the restaurant manager and resolve the issue. Very confusing request given that I never went to the restaurant. Anyway it was fixed but kind of a good example about the lack of real concern.

Unfortunately I must now suggest that folks pick another place to stay until they resolve some of their core issues. The floor we stayed on is also under renovation and that was not noted anywhere or spoken of prior to booking.

Room Tip: Avoid 603, unless you want a clogging sink, noisy hvac, need to fix toilet,
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank akhelghati
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Some parts of this hotel are excellent: the in-room hot tub, the bathroom vanity, the slide-door for the bathroom, the robes, the bed, and art decor. It was nice sitting in front of the fireplace. I loved the retro look, as well as the 7th floor hot tub. However, there are some bad points. The tile around the top of the hot tub is losing pieces of the grout (Rm. 601), the ceiling needs to be repainted or remodeled, the curtains are outdated and flimsy, and the carpet felt a bit dirty. In addition, the hotel's hot tub is very hot - you'll only be able to sit in it for about 10 minutes before you're overheated. However, if you get out and sit on the window-side ledge (which is visible to the apartments across the street) with only your legs in, the vents overhead will cool you down for some more hot-tubing. If these things were fixed, I would give this hotel 4 stars.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to others, but warn them that it has good points and bad points. If they're a laid-back friend, I think they would really enjoy the hotel and its art deco retro look.

I would have loved a swimming pool, and to be able to sit in the hotel's hot tub longer,, and to have deserts on the after-10pm room service.

Room Tip: Room 601 is great if you like to soak in a hotel's hot tub, since this hotel's hot tub is on the 7th floor, which is only accessible from the 6th floor, and very close to room 601.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kris_Willis, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

SLLMadison - Your review on your current stay at Hotel Metro is appreciated! All our our guest suites have "seeping tubs" and /or jetted tubs with a seperate stand up shower - that makes us one of the most unique hotel rooms in Milwaukee! I have addressed the issue of grout and the temperature of our Salt Water Hot Tub up on our 7th floor with our director of engineering (we run the temperature between 102 - 104 degrees which may seem warm due to the enclosed area versus an outside venue or large "pool" area).
Our 24-hour menu is also being revised for our in-room hotel guests, and it will include dessert options as well as many other exciting menu items.
Thank you again for your review and please contact us for your overnight accommodations while traveling to downtown Milwaukee.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Wonderful stay at Hotel Metro in downtown Milwaukee.
When we first checked in, our room was totally retro and cool, but was super noisy from the heating system (loud clanking), so the staff upgraded our room immediately to a spa suite. This room was a hypoallergenic room with air purifier and hypoallergenic sheets and bedding. I would stay in this type of room again, I felt great the next day.

The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet.

Valet parking (29$ overnight) was pricey but convenient. We were able to walk to the Historic Third ward from this hotel for Dinner and Breakfast which was a huge plus for us.

Room Tip: If your room is noisy from the heating system, ask for another room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you rmtphd_13 for your review of you recent stay at Hotel Metro in downtown Milwaukee. The hotel is located in the most ideal spots in downtown Milwaukee! Right between the East side and our amazing Third Ward district. We now have our bicycles available for guest(s) to use, complimentary, during the warmer months as well as our London Cab, which is also available complimentary on Friday and Saturday nights to take guest(s) to local venues/entertainment areas within 1 mile of the hotel.
Our "clanking" steam heat is being addressed by our new director in engineering as we are a Historic Hotel in Milwaukee and use the city's steam for heat during the colder months. It will be resolved for future, just FYI.
We hope you travel to Milwaukee for our upcoming sporting / festival / jazz in the park / art museum events and you book with us in our PURE room again! It is truly an amazing night's experience!
See you soon!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The staff went out of their way to make sure our stay was relaxing and comfortable. The location was great, near quite a few nice restaurants, and in the hotel, the Zen on Seven bar and hot tub is a beautiful getaway.

• Stayed: April 2013

Witraveler90 - Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor! Our Rockstar employees are truly examples of hospitality "awesome-ness!" I will make sure we share your comments with the entire team!
When making arrangements for your next visit to Milwaukee for business or pleasure, please let us know so we can personally say Hi and make your reservations with you directly.