“Not as Good as the Reviews Suggested”

Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #25 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed October 29, 2008

I chose this hotel for a short visit to Milwaukee largely based on the reviews on this site, which I found quite overblown. The first room I was given was clearly inadequate, and I would have switched hotels before I stayed in that room (it was small, dark and overlooked a brick wall). I was then given a huge suite but one on a relatively noisy street even though I had mentioned that I was sensitive to noise. The staff throughout was quite nice and helpful, and it seemed that half of the rooms had been refurbished but the other half probably not. Location was right downtown but many of the stores nearby were empty. All in all, even with the suite, it was just ok and I would have preferred to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown

Reviewed October 22, 2008

I recently stayed at this fairly standard Hampton Inn. I am usually happy with most Hampton Inn properties and this was no different. The staff was very friendly, recommending dinner locations and a good local happy hour. According to the floorplan on the back my room door (the fire escape plan) I was in the smallest room on the 7th floor. My travel companion had a much larger rooms, so if you book over the phone, ask for a bigger room because none are the same size. The parking deck was behind the property, which would have been good to know before hand. Overall, we were very satisfied with the stay.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed 9/27 to 9/28. We traveled up to Milwaukee from Chicago to catch the Cubs play at Miller Park. We could not have been happier with our stay. The hotel was booked easily, check in was easy, we got exactly what we wanted (king bed) and were surprised with a whirlpool hot tub. The room was HUGE and extremely clean. The bed was so comfortable, one of the best night sleeps I've had at a hotel. The front desk was more than happy to tell us where we could go for a good time, and directed us to OctoberFest in downtown Milwaukee. The complimentry hot breakfast was a nice perk too, and the staff running it was super nice. This will be our first choice if we ever go back to Milwaukee.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dunwoodies
Reviewed September 17, 2008

To put this in perspective, the Hampton Inn Downtown is a perfectly average hotel but an above average Hampton. The hotel is very conveniently located for both work or pleasure - close to downtown restaurants and activities (and for those who work out there is a great YMCA right across the street) - very clean, recently renovated, and professionally staffed.

The biggest issue with this hotel is that the doors are not weighted to close slowly - my colleagues and I were often awakened by the sound of slamming doors at all hours of the night. This issue appeared to be exacerbated by the fact that this hotel has many younger guests. While I appreciate both the fact that it was summer and their need to let loose, the Hampton might want to put younger guests all on the same floor or otherwise separate them from business travelers. Or invest in some hardware to prevent the doors from slamming. It felt like dorm life all over again.

Milwaukee was a surprisingly great town - however, I would consider other hotels, perhaps, before booking this Hampton.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Kamtini
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We stayed on Saturday night at the Hampton Inn to attend the Mexican Fiesta at summerfest grounds. LOVED it. The hotel has been recently renovated and appeared to be very clean and well maintained. We travel a lot and stay at all different types of hotels and resorts. This hotel has many little extras that are really appreciated like free internet, free breakfast/coffee and good amenities in the room. Our room which was called a suite w/double beds had the most amazing huge bathroom; we loved it. The location of the hotel is great - super convenient to walk to the lakefront fests - or get the bus to Miller Park. We also walked to the IMAX and saw two really good short films on Grand Canyon and also the Great Lakes. The parking at this hotel was really convenient (connected garage for only $11 per night). Overall, this was a great stay and we were pleasantly surprised - will definately try Hamptons at other locations.

Only negative was one of the elevators broke down and made it tough with only one elevator but that could happen anywhere and on a Sunday, probably hard to get it fixed!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2008

I have stayed at a lot of hotels, and quite a few Hampton Inns, and this one has to have been my best Hampton experience. The staff was very attentive and pleasant. The breakfast selection was good, and there was a manager's reception with drinks and hors d'oeuvres at night. Rooms were clean and the public areas were pretty clean and constantly attended to. Hotel is in a good location in the middle of downtown, close to shopping, activities and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2008

I stayed here for one night while in town to see a Brewers game at Miller Park. The hotel is pretty easy to find off the interstate from Chicago. We arrived at about 10:30 AM and our room was already ready for us, that was great. Parking is $11 per day in the garage connected to the hotel, there might have been cheaper options, but since I have never been here before I didn't feel like looking too hard. Our rate with tax was about $200 with a AAA discount. If you want to stay downtown, that is pretty much as low as it gets. When we arrived at the front desk, we told the clerk our plans to go to Miller Park and he told us the bus picks up right in front of the hotel and costs $2 for a 10 minute ride right to the park, I highly recommend this option opposed to driving or taking a 2 mile walk. There are really no hotels near Miller Park so this worked out for us. After the game the bus was right there at the Stadium, and took us right back to the Hotel's front door. There is a mall across the street, so if you need to pick up anything, that is very conveinent. The hotel itself seems really modern. I am not sure if they recently renovated, but I was impressed. The room we had was spacious with a seperate TV room as you walk in as well a TV in the bedroom, this might come in handy with kids. We didn't use the pool, which was small, or the business center but the free breakfast in the morning was filling and laid out nicely. There are some restaurants on the river about a 5 minute walk from the hotel as well as a pub on the corner. We were there on a Monday night, when Marquette was on break, so it was pretty quiet downtown, not sure if this changes in the fall. Overall I was very satisfied with our stay, the only complaint was the price might have been a tad bit high, but they don't have too much competition.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends