“Great service in a great location”

Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #27 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I travel often on business, and my company often puts us up in Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn and similar hotels. I like this particular hotel, as it's well situated in downtown Milwaukee, near the lake, the museums, good restaurants and pubs, etc. Their renovations are almost complete, and they've done a nice job fixing the place up.

I had a problem with my room, which required me to take a different room. The manger, Misty, was very at tentative to my needs, and walked me up to the new room to ensure it would be suitable. She also made an adjustment to my bill to make up for the hassle. This was more than I usually get at this type of establishment. I will most likely return here for a personal trip with my wife, and plan to stay here during that trip.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor, it can get noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Misty K, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

David,

Thank you for the kind words. It was my pleasure to assist you during your recent stay. We look forward to serving your lodging needs again!

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I booked this hotel to attend a convention. There were other hotels available for similar prices but I CHOSE the Hampton brand because of good experiences previously. Let's start with the positive: the beds were clean and very comfortable and the breakfast area was well stocked and continually tidied. The location is very good and within walking distance of many of Milwaukee's attractions.

Now the negatives: the front desk excused problems (primarily a/c and heating) but saying it is a "historical property" and is "under renovation". That work is ongoing is evident by the beaten up walls of the elevator and the very tired rooms. We shared those same elevators with the plumbers and other workers throughout our stay. Our door lock didn't work and it took two trips to the front desk to be told that that specific lock only worked if you lifted the handle. Perhaps the front desk could have advised us of this upon check in. Our guests had to change rooms three times before they were in a room with functional a/c and heating.

My suggestion: the property should close, renovate and then re-open as a fully functioning property. It was not an inexpensive stay for a Hampton in a mid-market city. Guests were not advised of the renovation upon making a reservation. Had they been so, the guests could have selected another property in the same brand family at a similar pricepoint.

Room Tip: Call the property directly to ensure the renovations are complete. Rooms below the 4th floor as spe...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Misty K, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Clearly Loves Food,

I am sorry to hear that you did not have an exemplary stay at our hotel. I apologize on behalf of my staff for any shortcomings in informing you about the door handle to your room. It is true that we are currently renovating our guestrooms and that the contractors for the renovation use the same elevators as our guests, just as our staff do on a daily basis. Unfortunately we do not have the luxury of multiple elevators dedicated solely to staff and contractors. I understand that the condition of the room you were in may have appeared worn and tired; that is the exact reason that we are currently undergoing a renovation of our guestrooms. I am concerned that your guests were moved to multiple rooms in an attempt to find a room at comfortable temperatures. While we do have a unique and historic building, that does not keep us from providing full heating and cooling services in all guestrooms. I apologize for this shortcoming and assure you that our front desk, housekeeping and engineering teams will be receiving a refresher training course about the heating and cooling systems and how to possibly troubleshoot them. Thank you for bringing this concern to my attention and giving me the opportunity to correct this shortcoming for future guests. Thank you again for you time and we hope that you come visit us again once the renovation is complete.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

My wife and I had an an absolutely wonderful stay. The staff could not have been more helpful or friendly. We also dined in the restaurant, the food was wonderful and the service was very good. If we are in the area in the future we will definitely seek out this hotel. You guys should be proud of your staff, they are excellent. These days that isn't always the case!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your kind words and your positive review. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very friendly staff greeted us, got us checked in quickly and gave good recommendations and directions to restaurants. Free breakfast was hot and hearty with lots of healthy choices. Being in the middle of downtown, we were concerned about street noise, but the hotel was very quiet.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Misty K, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Sue,

Thank you for your review and for your kind words. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My son graduated from Marquette University and we stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites for the weekend. It was within walking distance (about 4 blocks) of the Bradley Center and Milwaukee Theater where the general graduation and Business School Graduation was held. The hotel cost was reasonable and the staff was very courteous. I recommend staying here for MU commencement.

Tom,

Congratulations on your son's recent graduation! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to serve your future lodging needs in Milwaukee. Thank you for your time in completing this review and for your business.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

This is a Hampton under room up grades.First room was recently renovated and still had the glue smell.As the windows don't open I asked for another room. It was busy but they accommodated. The new room didn't have refrigerator and safe.When I went to front desk they insisted all rooms had fridge and sent me back to look some more,Needless to say my next trip to the front desk I asked them to join me.They declined.
The room was clean but has a thermostat adjustment that has three settings Heat-Off-Cool.
I was not satisfied with the stay and lack of refrigerator was annoying.The front desk did inform that eventually all rooms will have refrigerator.They did adjust the bill to reflect the Hampton satisfaction guarantee.
The location is downtown and convenient. I would probably not go back as there are other hotels in the area at their price point that are newer and already brought up to current standards.

Room Tip: ask about refrigerator and if room had been upgraded recently?

Joe,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to accommodate your request for a room with a fridge, but as my front desk team told you, all rooms will have fridges once our rooms renovation is complete. We are proud to stand by our Hampton guarantee, and while I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your needs and that was necessary, I am happy to hear that my staff is actively embodying Hamptonality and honored it for you. I invite you to come back to visit us after our renovation is complete to experience our new guest rooms. Thank you!

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We went to Milwaukee for a one day get away over Mother's Day weekend. We stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites about 6 years ago and thought we would try it again. I read the reviews and was very concerned with what I saw but since we were only staying one night I thought we would try it.

The hotel needs to some some upgrades that is for sure but if you are staying one night and want to be close to the river and you are not picky it will do. Our check in when smooth but it appears the parties before us did not have a smooth check in. They mentioned to me that they opened our AC worked, when we got to our room it worked fine.

The one thing I like about this hotel is the room lay out. When you walk in, you walk into the sitting area, which contains a couch, chair desk, refrig., sick, microwave. Next is the double sink and across from that is the toilet/shower which does have a door to separate it. After this is the bedroom which also has a door you can shut. Our room view was of another building but again that did not matter to us since we were there for one night and did not plan on staying in the room all night.

The hotel is great if you are travel with kids and to want to put them to bed but you want to stay up and talk, you can be in the sitting room and they can be in the bedroom.

Parking - We parked in the parking garage and found our way to the entrance door - which if I recall was between the 2 and 3 floor. The cost of parking of the night was $14 or $16.

Pool - the pool is small but when we went to use it, it was us and one other family, so it was not a problem. The hot tub was so hot I could not sit in it but everyone else could.

Staff - the staff was very nice and helpful. On Sunday they wanted to make we had a place to sit and had enough to eat. Was very impressed with their concern.

Breakfast - a great breakfast, if you go away hungry, that is your fault. they have a great variety of options.

Like I said the hotel is ok, would I stay there again, not unless I could got a really good deal. Would I recommend the hotel? I would tell others if they can get a good deal it would probably be worth it but I would let them know what to expect.

G Packer Gal,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel with such detail. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the front desk staff provided exceptional service. I am happy to inform you that we are currently undergoing a renovation of all of our guestrooms, therefore an update is on the horizon. I hope that you come back and visit us to experience our brand new rooms. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again.