“fantasic experience”

Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Grimsby, Canada
“fantasic experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

the hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. Dave and Phil were great and were the reason we had such a great stay. My teenage boys even thought they were great and helped direct us to places where we would enjoy ourselfs Thanks so much guys from Canada.

Room Tip: buses loud on street side recommed a room not facing the front of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edward K, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Sandra H

Thank you for the great feedback we appreciate it. Both Dave and Phil are thrilled when they get great feedback from our guests. Our team is made up of caring individuals who want our guests to have a great time in our hotel and city. Our front desk team is always making recommendation on where to eat, shop or things to experience while visiting our city. My team and I pride ourselves in being Milwaukee's friendliest hotel and I glad we met those expectations for you. Milwaukee is a great city and I am glad you enjoyed your time at our hotel and our city. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit to Milwaukee.

Edward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Downers Grove, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Friendly Staff. Great Location. Will be staying here any time I come to the Milwaukee area. Got locked out of the room, staff quickly got me back in. Accidentally left some items in the room and the quickly mailed them out to me. Front desk staff always had good recommendations for restaurants and if you needed something they couldn't provide they knew exactly where to tell you to go.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Debra W

Thank you for the great feedback we appreciate it. My team is thrilled when they get great feedback from our guests. My team and I pride ourselves in being Milwaukee's friendliest hotel and I glad we met those expectations for you. Milwaukee is a great city and I am glad you enjoyed your time at our hotel and our city. We strive for a quick response when a guest does have a problem and I am happy my team did not disappoint. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit to Milwaukee.

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night after being at Oshkosh for a number of nights with the family..

Having stayed here a while back, I was familiar with the area and wanted to have a relaxing day..

We were given an upgrade to a suite on the 4th floor (Room 420)

Room had 2 queen beds and a seperate pull out bed in the other room..

Hotel is only one block from the Milwaukee Riverwalk, with an awesome restaurant Rock Bottom Brewery (which had great food)

Staff and service at the hotel were great, and the breakfast was just what I was looking for that Monday morning..

Check-in was a breeze and the indoor pool was great, even the 27 beachballs that were in the pool (which was a + for my kids)

Will definately return when in Milwaukee again...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edward K, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear caneshockey31

I appreciate you sharing your experience with us about your stay at our hotel. I am glad you had a great experience with my team and hotel. We pride ourselves on being Milwaukee's friendliest hotel and I am thrilled my team met those expectations. Guest satisfaction is our #1 priority for my team each and everyday. The Rock Bottom has great food and great atmosphere so I am glad you enjoyed that experience. Our location is fantastic and you can get around very easily in the city. Our breakfast offers a variety of items our guests can choose from so I am happy you found what you were looking for. We strive for a great family experience and having the beach balls in the pool area allows the kids to enjoy and have fun tossing them around the area. I hope we see you again soon and you will choose us again.

Medicine Hat, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I really like to research hotel rooms; our 3 day stay in Milwaukee was no exception. I read all of the reviews, studied the photographs and made my decision. Ultimately we got exactly what we thought we were getting - with one small exception - the exercise room is now on the 2nd floor.
We stayed in a 1 bedroom king suite. It was just my husband and I on a trip to see the Washington Nationals at Miller Park. This room is kind of small even though it is a suite. Th living room is really small, but the pictures are very accurate. I expected it to be small. It barely fits the 2 arm chairs across but it is adequate. It is nice to have a microwave and fridge. It is also nice to have the two TVs if one person sleeps earlier or later in the mornings. Decor is ok. The comforters in the bedrooms are very nice. The king bed was very comfortable. There is a large window ledge which was nice as it provided extra storage.
The bathroom was mostly good. There is a toilet and tub/showere behind a door while two sinks and a large vanity area are outside, part of the hallway between the bedroom and the kitchen. A nice feature is the night light in the bathroom for those late night trips to the washroom.
Our phone didn't work the whole time and I kept forgetting to ask about it.
The free wifi was great. Worked well. Cell service is difficult in the hotel but I was told by many that it is difficult all over Milwaukee.
The workout room is no longer by the pool. It is on the second floor. It includes 3 nice treadmills each with their own TV but the TV channels did not all work. There were also some weights. I was disappointed in the weight room. I would have liked more machines. The room is certainly big enough. Our room was on the second floor, not far from the workout room and just around the corner from the business center. The low story did not bother me at all. The location was very quite as it was far from the elevator and there were only 2 other rooms next to us. I didn't hear anything from any other room.
The business center was great for printing out our ball game tickets however when I went to print our boarding passes it didn't work and appeared not to be working for quite some time as there were error messages on it. I ended up having to get the front desk to print them out.
Breakfast is just as others have described. If you have had Hampton breakfasts elsewhere they are nothing if not consistent. So again, no surprises.
Of course as others have said, no bar or restaurant in the hotel if that is important to you go to the Hilton down the street where you will get a more "full service" hotel.
If I could sum up my stay in a few words I guess I would say that it was exactly what I expected -no more, no less. There was oohing that was really great but nothing that was really bad. I wasn't wowed but I guess I don't need to be.
Bill was one of the friendliest, most knowledgeable front desk clerks but they were all good. Bill was a multi tasker and took pride on his job. Also gave us some great ideas of what to do with a few extra hours. Thanks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Edward K, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear xxhermxx

Thank you so much for staying with us and visiting our great city. I hope you enjoyed Miller Park and watching the Nationals play our Brewers. My team and I pride ourselves on being Milwaukee's friendliest hotel and I am glad my team and especially Bill took great care of you. Our goal is a 100% Satisfaction for each and every guest. The one thing you get with the Hampton brand is consistency from hotels across the country. We are always looking for ways to make our hotel better and the feedback you gave helps us. Our fitness facility normally has more equipment but with anything sometime things need repair so I do apologize those were getting repaired during your stay. You will be happy the facility is a 100% again. I am glad you got what you expected during your stay, we want to insure we show our hotel the way it should be. Thanks again for staying with us and the feedback you gave my team will be happy. We hope you will make another trip into our great city soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We LOVED this hotel. My husband travels a lot for work and is quite accustomed to nice hotels. But even he thought this hotel had a great spunky but professional personality and fantastic employees. Everyone from the front desk staff to the fellow who manages the breakfast area were exceedingly friendly and helpful. We mentioned to a staff member in the elevator that our daughters' dresses were having trouble staying buttoned. She got off on the lobby floor with us (I don't think where she was originally headed) and went to a back room and brought us a handful of safety pins!

The hotel is in a fantastic location. We shopped in the mall across the street - Boston Store, sports store, TJ Maxx. There are lots of restaurants in the area. We walked down to the river walk and had a great time. The beds were wonderfully comfortable. The little rubber duck with the bath towels was adorable. The oodles of colorful beach balls in the pool area were a fun surprise. The pool towels were bigger than you usually get at hotels. And they even looked cute - yellow & white stripes, displayed diagonally on all the pool chairs. And my daughters LOVED that the bathrooms by the pool were heated and felt so cozy when they had to peel off their dripping wet suits! The board game area near the lounge looked so fun, but unfortunately we didn't have time to utilize it. The breakfast was delicious. Even the number plaques at the room doors had photos of miscellaneous spots around Wisconsin... so fun! And I didn't even mention the coffee bar yet - two kinds of coffee, plus decaf and hot water... with tea, hot cocoa, etc. And even hazelnut creamer - my favorite! I was able to get a hot cup of coffee or decaf at any hour of my trip. LOVED THIS! My husband also liked the work-out room. Clean and very nice. Kudos to whoever is managing this place. We'll definitely be back.

1 Thank klwklw
Dear klwklw

We are glad that you enjoyed our hotel and staff while you were in Milwaukee. My team really gets pumped when we get great reviews from our guests as we pride ourselves on being Milwaukee's friendliest hotel. Milwaukee is a great city with great shops, restaurants and culture. Our goal at Hampton is 100% Guest satisfaction and I am happy you left satisfied wanting to return. Our staff has a lot of personality and that is what we are all about, our employees bring a special kind of charm to our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will be back soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Upon check in, I made the same request I always make: a room on a high floor and as far away from the elevator as possible. This threw the young man behind the counter for a loop; he had to open up a cabinet and retrieve a binder containing the property's layout. It took him some time to sort through it all, maybe 10-15 minutes, but he did come through as requested. So...not bad.

Then I went to the room and immediately put up the Do Not Disturb sign, as I was preparing to change clothes. Right after that...the key slides in from the hallway and two employees walk right in! Had this happened about 30 seconds later, they'd have seen FAR more of me than they would ever wish on their enemies. The woman's comment? "We always put a fresh duvet on the bed." Uh...ok. You don't want to maybe, I don't know...come back later? Ask me when I'll be vacating the room for a little while and THEN arrange for the duvet to be installed? But by then they were just right up in there messing with the bedspread as I watched. So...ok. I guess.

Then I went downstairs and told the manager what had happened. He repeated the line, "We always install a fresh duvet for every guest." So he kind of made an excuse for the fact that the two employees had just waltzed right in. He did eventually apologize, after I made it clear that the duvet was HARDLY the issue, for God's sake! So I was a bit unnerved, and I guess I thought he'd try to make it up to me with a free selection from the small snack shop next to the front desk, or make some other small gesture. But no. So...fine, I suppose. No harm no foul.

Later when I returned to the room, I noticed that the drapes didn't even come close to filling the entire window area. The issue is that the windows only came down to about four feet above the floor. Thus, there was a stream of light that would shine precisely where my head would be resting on the pillow. So I took some of the extra towels and lined them underneath the drapes to plug that gap and keep the room slightly darker. Not a disaster, but kind of a weak oversight. Sort of the theme, you know?

In the end, I'm willing to go with three stars. The price was fair, especially given the truly superb location with phenomenal access to downtown/Juneau Town. I certainly did not rent a cart, as the vast majority of my desired activities were within walking distance. The room was comfortable enough.

In conclusion, I probably would have gone with a four star rating had the property not been guilty of a few snafus as well as flawed justifications for said snafus. This stay could have been better if the staff were more on the ball.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Edward K, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear FlyingToast

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback we really appreciate it. I want to start by offering my apologies for the issues that you had. My team and I pride ourselves on being Milwaukee's friendliest hotel and strive for perfection for each and every guest. I don’t want to make excuses for my team not solving your problems the way they are trained. I will be addressing each one of your concerns with each department so this does not happen again. I can assure you this will be fixed. Our focus is 100% Guest satisfaction and I am so sorry we fell short during your stay. I hope you will give us another chance if your travels bring you back to Brew City. I see you are a WI Badgers fan by your photo on Trip Advisor so GO Badgers in 2013.

Escanaba, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Everything was top-notch. Large Room size and staff friendliness. Only detraction was the extra charge for the parking ramp. That was lame. Otherwise great. Location right near the river. Delicious breakfast. Spacious lobby for relaxing.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Grrl906
Edward K, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Grrl906

Thank you for staying with us and we really appreciate the feedback you gave us on our hotel and staff. My team and I pride ourselves on being Milwaukee's friendliest hotel. I am glad you had a great stay and enjoyed our great hotel, location and city. We are in the heart of the city and close to almost everything. My team loves knowing our guests walk out the door happy that is our goal. We hope you will be back soon and will choose our great hotel once again. Thanks again for your review.