“The worst hotel experience”

Hyatt Place Milwaukee West
Ranked #22 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Columbus, Ohio
“The worst hotel experience”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I had the worst experience at the Hyatt Place Milwaukee- West and I suggest no one ever stay there. This hotel has bed begs and horrible management. Katlin, the assistant manager handled the whole situation unprofessionally. I would have rather seen the head manager but the person was know where to be found. Katlin refused to refund any money back even the days we didn't stay there and we had to find somewhere else to stay in the middle of the night after they falsely accused us of bring them. They didn't follow any type of communication protocol like calling our cell phone numbers which they ask for when you check in, before they entered our room without us there to do a inspection. Because of how unprofessional there management handle the situation, and if this is how they treat there customers I will never stay at another Hyatt ever again. I will also tell family and friends to do the same.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kathy_hayes6
Anthony S, Director of Operations at Hyatt Place Milwaukee West, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
We are very sorry that your stay at our hotel was anything less than satisfying. When you reported to us that you had a bedbug event, we immediately moved you to different room and contacted our pest management company to see if we could arrange for the canine inspector. We were lucky enough to procure a same day appointment with the canine inspector and proceeded to inspect your original room in which the canine inspector found no evidence of bedbugs whatsoever. The inspection of the room we moved you to resulted in the canine inspector alerting to a bedbug in your bag sitting on the ottoman, and nowhere else in the room. We did provide you with a copy of the pest management report that clearly documented these findings.

Since your stay with us we have conducted three separate treatments on each of the rooms you occupied to eliminate any chance that your bedbugs spread into our hotel. We’re very sorry that you were asked to find alternate lodging, but we cannot knowingly allow guests to bring bedbugs into our hotel. I apologize that you did not find our management’s response to this event adequate.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel for multi generation large group gathering in Milwaukee for wedding. Front desk and kitchen were sincerely friendly and quick to answer questions and help with any guest problem. Comfortable gathering spaces on lobby level inside and outside for small group chat times.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Orland Park, Illinois
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Spent 1 night to meet with an old childhood friend 1/2way between Green Bay and Chicago and do some shopping, catching up. This hotel worked perfectly. A 2 hr drive for each of us, straight shot. Just off the highway, but we got a room on the non-highway side which was quiet. A short drive to the Mayfair Mall like 3 exits down which had extensive shopping with nice higher end shops and a variety of restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang's. Not a bad drive to downtown Milwaukee where we hung out in the Third Ward for fun the next day.
I booked for $89 for a king and upgraded to 2 doubles on site. A great value!
The front desk staff, Emma and Alicia were efficient yet friendly. Emma helped me finish a USA today puzzle as I sipped wine at the bar and waited for my friend. Smart girl even remembered trig functions! Alicia is more reserved including with her pour on the house merlot which actually was not bad at all for a house wine but she is also bright and efficient.They were both very helpful and told us about the Mayfair Mall and gave us restaurant options printed out.
Nicely renovated and spotlessly clean. The room was comfortable and spacious with a modern feel. There is a nice sectional couch which I believe houses a pull out, a large flatscreen TV, a fridge, a coffee maker ( a perk less commonly seen these days), nice clean bathroom with nice towels. We were very comfortable. Air conditioning was via a wall unit under the window but it was quiet and ran evenly.They even provide toothpaste.
The pool was warm and swimmable and nicely maintained. I would guess the temp at low 80's which is perfect with the room a much higher room ambiant temp. The pool towels were probably one of the nicer pool towels I've used - fluffy large bath sheet size. The gym only had 2 treadmills, an elliptical and a stationary bike but they were nice and worked properly. Individually packaged earbud sets were available.
Breakfast was complimentary and beyond the standard Cheerios and bagels. There were egg/ham/cheese muffin sandwiches, pancakes, hot oatmeal, fresh cut up fruit as well as fresh pastries, cereal, etc.
The place was actually quite busy and yet it didn't feel chaotic at all. The clientele seemed to be generally of a smarter, well behaved variety.
I believe I saw the manager though I didn't speak with her. She's doing a great job.
I took 1 point off for a few reasons. One is location/access. Although conveniently off the highway, you have to do a weird series of L turns to reach it and the front entrance is actually in back. The surrounding area is not exactly scenic. I think it's ultimately rather remote if you are looking for a downtown Milwaukee experience - certainly you need a car.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the non-highway side and it was perfect.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is very convenient and close to the interstate. It's a little wonky to figure out how to drive into the parking lot and then to get to the lobby, but then it's okay.
Stay in an odd-numbered room--you won't get that direct sun in the morning, which is also the interstate side.

Room Tip: Stay in an odd-numbered room--you won't get that direct sun in the morning, which is also the in...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Oshkosh, WI
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The friendliest welcome at check-in that could ever be! Lovely interior design and just a great place. We had a glorious king room which felt amazingly spacious. Refrigerator, desk area, huge wrap around couch that converts to a bed. Closet and dressing area as well. Delicious breakfast and ample seating!

Room Tip: Request room away from highway side. There was a train whistle that sounded through the night, but...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Schofield
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My family and I have stayed at this hotel on 3 seperate occasions in the summer 2012. Every time that we have stayed there has been great. The hotel staff has been accomodating and friendly. The rooms are awesome. We especially like the sofa sleeper that we have had in our rooms. We have even signed up for Hyatt rewards program because of our stay.

When we go to Milwaukee this is the first hotel that we price out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Marquette, Michigan
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I travel a lot on business, often to Milwaukee. In general Hyatt Place hotels are my preference anywhere I can find them. But in Milwaukee I almost always stay at this hotel. As a business traveler it has everything I'm looking for. The rooms are comfortable, spacious, clean and well appointed, with a good sized desk and comfortable chair. The other thing I look for is a place to relax and the rooms have a comfortable couch with a large ottoman. The beds are great as well. Friendly staff, small bar and good breakfast (as included breakfasts go).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business