“good for business travel”

Crowne Plaza Milwaukee Airport
Ranked #22 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I stayed on the Executive Level (5th floor) and was pleased with the rooms there. Plenty of room and it was quiet even though the hotel was pretty full. If I had to be picky, i would say the room service menu was limited, but the food was good. Everyone working there was nice also.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
CrownePlazaMKE, Manager at Crowne Plaza Milwaukee Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2010

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed February 28, 2010

After looking at all the Milwaukee airport hotels The Crowne Plaza seemed to best bang for the buck. When I arrived I was greeted by a very accommodating staff member. We did not eat in restaurant but it looked like a good place. The room was warm and inviting and the beads were grate. The only problem with this room was the pillows. They were way to firm and all of the pillows were the same in our room, but other than that the hotel is great and the perfect place to stay before an early morning flight.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business

We are so glad you chose to stay with us and enjoyed it! We are currently looking into alternate pillow options as our guests have a variety of preferences. On your next visit back I'm confident we will be able to provide pillows more to your liking.

Reviewed January 6, 2010

Lovely hotel! Great pool area! Exec floor rooms a bit small, but clean and quiet. Nice hotel, will go again, for sure, but...

New Years Eve, the bars were not open! The restaurant was open, and with no customers, we had the slowest service EVER! I was served lukewarm soup. I would NEVER, EVER eat there again. There's a Houligan's next door at the Ramada..

Breakfast, New Years Day, we tried again, as it was included with the exec room, service was better, but the eggs/toast were cold.. Just not good!

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Business travellers who work for companies that "manage" their travel budgets have quite a menagerie of $60 - $85 dollar/night hotels to choose from near the Milwaukee Airport. Some of try hotel after hotel looking for a reasonably comfortable bed, a edible breakfast. a quiet room, and a staff that understands what guests need. Sometimes we find an alternative we like but we can't always get a rate that falls within company limits.

The Crowne Plaza - Milwaukee Airport offers yet another choice but is it a good one? The operators did a major renovation of a low-end brand hotel. Having stayed in the area, I was curious to see what the place looks like once the contractor trucks pulled away and the place opened.

Entering the hotel, you immediately notice its contemporary vibe and are greeted professionally by the front desk staff. The modern subdued decor is refreshing after a day of bright flourescent office lights. After I got my room key, here is what I experienced:

Rooms: Relatively spacious for the $62 dollar (prepaid) rate a night I paid. Small parlor with sofa, flat screen on wall, and work desk. Modern furnishings including contemporary lighting. Small bedroom with another flatscreen (did not work). Nice clock with jacks for music and integrated CD player. Lamp on night stand has a power outlet so you don't have to move the bed to find the outlet or string you power cord across the room if you like working/surfing in bed.

The Bed: deserving of its own category in any hotel review, the beds are not bad. They are almost equivalent what you find in better $80 a night hotels and relatively comfortable. The pillows are firm for me since I like soft pillows. The mattresses are institutional, not pillowtops. If they were pillow tops, then this hotel really would have differentiated itself in the airport area at its price point. Too bad for us and the hotel. When will more hotel operators learn that the bed is an extremely important facet of the guest experience?

Bathroom: The bathroom has bathtub/shower with reasonably good water pressure and and hot water. The toilet worked fine. However the toliet paper was about as effective as wax paper. Cheap paper in the long run does not save the hotel money when you have to use twice as much. Outside the bathroom in the area between the parlor and the bedroom is a sink with a very small counter area. However it had great hot water. Hair dryer was operational and there was a lighted makeup mirror my wife would have liked.
Shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, face and bath soap were provided.

Closet: Mirrored doors open to a good closet with a good supply of normal room hangers and an effective ironing board and iron.

Heating/AC: When the electric heater unit turns on and runs, it makes noise as most of these units do. I just took it off auto so that it ran continually which created decent white noise.

Noise Insulation: This hotel is next to freeway, near a busy intersection, and on a street that sees tons of trucks tearing up its pavement. I asked for a quiet room and could still hear the noise outside. Interesting, the hotel leaves you earplugs on your nightstand! However I found that leaving leaving the fan on in the room drownded out grating of the truck motors.

Staff Responsiveness: I made one request while at the hotel: please fix the TV in the bedroom since it was not working. The one in the parlor worked fine and I had no problem operating it. I asked the front desk before I left for the office and when I returned around 8pm, I found the TV was still not operational. And there was no message regarding the TV either.

Wireless: Good speed. Easy to connect.

Other ameneties: In room coffee. It would be great to have complimentary to-go coffee for the drive to the office as many hotels do but this hotel makes you pay for it in a small snack shop they have next to the front desk. In room coffee is rarely good and free to-go coffee is a great way to say goodbye to a guest as they head off for work or an early flight.
Paper cups are not provided for in room coffee.

Workout Room: Extremely small. One treadmill. A multifunction weight machine. A few other cardio machines. Dissappointing. To spend Millions on renovations and not put in more treadmills and some freeweights (10lbs-65lb dumbells) defies explanation.

Pool: Looked pretty nice but did not use.

Food: I did not have a chance to eat at the hotel but If I stay again, I will be curious to try it.
At the prepay rate, I did not receive breakfast but did not expect that although there is another hotel in the area that offers a fantastic breakfast included at basically the same rate. But the rooms are not as nice.

The Bottom Line: What could be! This place has potential.

I wish that

- the beds were more comfortable but they are acceptable. However I wonder how they will hold up as more and more guests sleep in them.

- the TV would have gotten fixed

- the hotel did not skimp on amenities like coffee to go and toilet tissue..i guess thats not an amenity :-)

- the fitness room was equipped better and a little bigger

The operators of this hotel had a shot at exceeding my expectations for its price point but fell short. If it would have, I would be staying at this property every time I visit MKE.
I will probably give it another try to see if the management is continuously improving the guest experience. And I would tell coworkers to check the place out since there are aspects of the property that might appeal to some but not to others.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank snowshoedude

We greatly appreciate your detailed review of the hotel and genuinely hope we can impress you next time around. Thank you so much for your comments!

Reviewed November 4, 2009

Our recent conference at this hotel proved that this hotel valued our business to the utmost of levels. The hotel was always accomodating to our group, and the hotel manager Michael gave us special considerations that really went above and beyond expectations. The bar staff were social and professional. The rooms: top grade....completely upgraded fixtures and bedding. The pool is warm enough to swim in at any temperature, and there is a nice jacuzzi with powerful jets. The only downfall of this hotel is that is not in walking distance of many other restaurants, so you feel 'stuck' while you are there. But otherwise, this hotel is a perfect spot for the business traveller.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
CrownePlazaMKE, Manager at Crowne Plaza Milwaukee Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2010

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We look forward to future business with you and your group!

Reviewed September 10, 2009

I agree the decor is like a Park Avenue Hotel. The beds are heavenly. The staff very friendly, courteous, and knowledgeable. I did eat in the Atitude restaurant. I had the shrimp and scallops over pasta. Food cooked to perfection. The waite staff was on their game. The chef even came out to ask me how was everything. They have high-speed internet and flat screens everywhere.

I would definately come back.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2009

I was impressed with this hotel... The lobby was so well decorated and staff was on top of their game. Check out Fried Cheese Curds in the restaurant... sooooo yummy!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business