“Sushi with a twist”
Review of Umami Moto - CLOSED

Umami Moto
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Mason St / Wisconsin Ave
Description: Umami Moto embodies Far East elegance infused with modern French nuances that exemplify the best of western world culture. Its name is derived from a Japanese word meaning “savory,” which is precisely what diners can expect at Umami Moto: delectable Asian fusion cuisine destined to deliver satisfaction with every dish. With the addition of Umami’s newly renovated sushi bar, Sushi Chef Israel Cruz has hand crafted a selection unparalleled in the city of Milwaukee. Chef Cruz uses fresh ingredients and an eclectic styling to offer Umami Signature Sushi Plates, a segment of the menu that showcases composed fresh and raw seafood combinations. Umami Moto also offers Main Flavors, a collection of entrees reflecting past Miso Cod and Salmon specialties and new non-seafood options.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My friend and I arrived a little early for our reservation so we decided to have a drink at the bar prior to dinner. To start, the atmoshere in the restaurant is very modern/contemporary, but still has a wonderful "chill" vibe to it. We sat at the bar and we were greeted by a woman with such a great smile and so much energy you couldn't help but feel happy to speak to her. She was very knowledgeable about wines and saki. I had a wonderful saki that I had never had before and will definitely have again.

We were seated for dinner and our had an equally positive attitude, but much more low key. It was like the "chill" atmosphere was contagious. The menu has some traditional sushi items, but many are prepared in unique ways. A number of items are small plate style and my friend and I wanted to be adventurous, but also wanted to make sure we didn't order too much or not enough. Our server was extremely helpful and guided us thru what turned out to be one of my best sushi experiences.

I will definitely return!

1  Thank Amy F
There are newer reviews for Umami Moto

Reviewed January 1, 2013

The menu items are just fun to eat. Sushi and rolls has to be the best in town...they have great bartenders - fun staff to bother - including the manager. The whole place is tastefully decorated in a contemporary design. The wine selection is nice and the server or manager always has good advise for it. Yo ucan go there for business or for a date - this is a great place !

Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

If you know sushi like I know sushi, you will be disappointed in the sushi @ Umami Moto. Sushi means vinegared rice (although most people think raw fish). The sushi rice here was bland and mushy. There is no traditional sushi menu, although you can order a few items by the piece. The service was great - maybe because we were the only patrons @ 6:00 pm on a Friday night. This is a Jspanese Wanna Be as opposed to the Real Deal.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I came with a few girlfriends for mainly sushi. The atmosphere is very swanky and contemporary with upbeat music playing as you eat. Our server was very helpful and explained the menu in detail to us and offered to help with anything we needed. She was very knowledgeable. I started off with an Asian version of a Mojito. It was like a regular Mojito with sake. It was very good. One of my friends had a martini and it was very good and made well. We ordered the Spicy tuna and White Tiger specialty rolls. Both were very good and tasty, however, I expected the Spicy tuna to be a bit more spicy. I also ordered an inside out California roll which was also good. We also ordered Sushimi-Salmon and Hamachi, which I tried for the first time. They are small servings but had a good flavor if you like raw fish. The chef came out and delivered the plates and explained what each item was. Overall, it was good food. I gave it four stars due to the limited menu, I would like to have more selection of more sushi rolls. Overall, I would recommend this place. It's very clean, good service, good food and a nice atmosphere in downtown Milwaukee.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have been to Umami Moto many times and I think it's great. The food is delicious. The atmosphere is great. However last night I ordered wine, just a glass, and the bartender poured my glass from the bottom of two bottles. It was the strangest thing. If they find no problem doing that right in front of me, I'm wondering what they are doing when I'm not looking? If you can't give me my pour out of one bottle, please don't "top it off" with a different one.