“Good Sushi”
Review of Umami Moto - CLOSED

Umami Moto
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Mason St / Wisconsin Ave
Description: Umami Moto embodies Far East elegance infused with modern French nuances that exemplify the best of western world culture. Its name is derived from a Japanese word meaning “savory,” which is precisely what diners can expect at Umami Moto: delectable Asian fusion cuisine destined to deliver satisfaction with every dish. With the addition of Umami’s newly renovated sushi bar, Sushi Chef Israel Cruz has hand crafted a selection unparalleled in the city of Milwaukee. Chef Cruz uses fresh ingredients and an eclectic styling to offer Umami Signature Sushi Plates, a segment of the menu that showcases composed fresh and raw seafood combinations. Umami Moto also offers Main Flavors, a collection of entrees reflecting past Miso Cod and Salmon specialties and new non-seafood options.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Good Sushi”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I came with a few girlfriends for mainly sushi. The atmosphere is very swanky and contemporary with upbeat music playing as you eat. Our server was very helpful and explained the menu in detail to us and offered to help with anything we needed. She was very knowledgeable. I started off with an Asian version of a Mojito. It was like a regular Mojito with sake. It was very good. One of my friends had a martini and it was very good and made well. We ordered the Spicy tuna and White Tiger specialty rolls. Both were very good and tasty, however, I expected the Spicy tuna to be a bit more spicy. I also ordered an inside out California roll which was also good. We also ordered Sushimi-Salmon and Hamachi, which I tried for the first time. They are small servings but had a good flavor if you like raw fish. The chef came out and delivered the plates and explained what each item was. Overall, it was good food. I gave it four stars due to the limited menu, I would like to have more selection of more sushi rolls. Overall, I would recommend this place. It's very clean, good service, good food and a nice atmosphere in downtown Milwaukee.

• Visited November 2012

Milwaukee
“Love this place but my last visit was disappointing”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have been to Umami Moto many times and I think it's great. The food is delicious. The atmosphere is great. However last night I ordered wine, just a glass, and the bartender poured my glass from the bottom of two bottles. It was the strangest thing. If they find no problem doing that right in front of me, I'm wondering what they are doing when I'm not looking? If you can't give me my pour out of one bottle, please don't "top it off" with a different one.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Best sushi I've had in a long while”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We visited here with a large group of people...service was beyond awesome and food was amazing! We shared several large plates of sushi - one in particular had a crispy shrimp element stood out as my favorite. Also tried the fried rice and lobster potstickers. Just typing this makes me want to visit again!

• Visited October 2012
Watertown, Wisconsin
“Nice decor for drinks with friends but don't plan on eating”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This restaurant has an amazing decor - very 'chic', but that's about it! I did not order any cocktails with my meal so this place may very well be a great place to go for drinks with friends because of the atmosphere but definitely DO NOT go for the food. What a huge disapointment! I spent $30 on my meal and left hungry - the amount of food I was served wasn't enough for a small appetizer much less a main course meal! I was with 3 other people and all 4 meals that were served were very much lacking in portion size and all had extremely poor presentation. Very limited menu - very few choices for sushi with no variety at all. For a place that advertises sushi this is definitely the worst menu I've seen - and I've seen quite a few. I actually had to special order ginger and wasabi for my sushi as it was served without either and was charged extra for both! Kind of like being charged $2 extra for catsup at a burger joint! I will definitely not go here to eat again.

• Visited September 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Beautiful, big city feel + BIG SALT”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Beautiful, creative interior design with an exciting "big city" ambiance. The food presentation was an overall A+, and most of the items we ordered were excellent ... except... there was one glaring problem. All of the menu items we sampled (except for the Edamame, of course) were simply TOO SALTY!... it overpowered the delicate flavors that were begging to be savored. Service was excellent and everything was well-priced. We will definitely go back.

• Visited October 2012