“Dirty hotel room where nothing worked, disappointing post-review service”

InterContinental Milwaukee
Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed November 25, 2010

Below is my original review of my very disappointing stay at this hotel. But I deleted it so that I could add this. The hotel's "manager" sent me a private TA message asking what room I had stayed in, so that they could use it as an example "for training purposes." I confirmed the room number. And that was it. No apology of any sorts. I was hesitant to even complain to hotel staff until the series of non-working devices in our dirty room escalated to having to leave with wet hair on a cold morning. I restrained my TA review because the hotel staff had been so friendly. But this manager's almost passive aggressive and apology-free TA response will keep me from giving this property another shot. All that needed to be said (if anything was said at all) was "I am sorry for your disappointing stay." That is a manager's job.

Below is my original review; read it keeping in mind I was going easy on exactly how filthy our "four star" room was.

I was looking forward to treating myself to a stay here and couldn't have been more disappointed. Our room was dirty--grass and dirt all over the desk, mildewy shower, mildewy comforter, gross face/finger smudge prints on the window, some sort of sticky substance on the wall. And everything was broken: three burned out lights, the television didn't work, the hairdryer didn't work. One of the beds had two sheets but no comforter. I finally called the manager when the hair dryer wouldn't work, and she was quite polite and comped our parking. The place is NOT a treat--stick with the Pfister for that, and if you're deal hunting stick with the Hyatt down the road.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
tsmith61, General Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2010

I sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you experienced at our hotel on your recent stay. As a team of hospitality professionals, we strive to exceed guest expectations and clearly in this case we disappointed you.

It was nice to read your comment about the friendly staff you encountered while here. We do take great pride in our staff and their friendly, helpful nature.

Hopefully while planning your next visit to our city you will consider giving our great hotel and staf another chance.

Timothy Smith

Reviewed October 18, 2010

We found the room to be neat and bathroom clean with wonderfull bath towels, the only minor thing was the bed was a bit soft compare to the one at home but had a good night sleep anyway.
The location is great, we had an event to attend at the Pabst Theater on Saturday night, at ten in the evening, and was surprised about the convenience of it. Also the building as a whole is quite beautiful.
Was very happy with the service starting at the front desk to the wait staff at both restaurants. The service and people were just wonderful. Food was so tasty from the hamburgers we had at CLEAR to our breakfast at KIL(A)WAT the next morning.
Price was right except for the parking, but the valets were very prompt in getting our car and helpful with directions. We left this last Sunday morning, and it was very busy at this time, a lot was going on.
Oh, and our room #704 had a great veiw and very quite But now thinking about it, I'm sure that all the rooms would.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
i1adive, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2010

We are very fortunate to be right in the center of the Theater District with the Marcus Center for Performing Arts right across the street and directly connected to a complex housing so many theaters: The Historic Pabst Theater, the Quadracci, the Stiemke and the Stackner Cabaret. It really makes it convenient for our guests just like you that enjoy taking in some of the Arts. Sounds like all things being said you had a pretty good time in Milwaukee. Thank you for choosing us and please visit us again. -Steve

Reviewed October 17, 2010

We went to Milwaukee for a wedding and decided to make it a week-end getaway and booked the Leisure Package. It included a deluxe room with a view, breakfast each day, two drinks each evening, free parking and a 4:00 pm late checkout. We arrived early afternoon so we could explore the city and was pleasantly surprised when the front desk offered to upgrade our room to a mini-suite because our room was not ready. The amenities were exceptionally nice and there was a bathrobe hanging in the bathroom. The fitness room had everything you would want and there was both a sauna and steam room. All the staff were pleasant and helpful. The lounge area was fun with entertainment and plenty of different seating areas. A totally decadent dessert bar was available to satisfy your chocolate cravings! The service in all areas was outstanding. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the InterContinental and would recommend this hotel to anyone planning to visit Milwaukee.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

That really makes our day to hear that you had such a good time with us and to hear the great observations. I hope you had a good time at the wedding, and you’re more then welcome to use us as your hub the next time you feel like exploring Milwaukee. Thanks for the good words. -Steve

Reviewed October 11, 2010

The bell boys were top notch and personable. Bryant ,Mitchell and Charlie
made our stay a stay we will not forget soon. Bryant for bringing my book from
my car and remembering me the next day by asking me how i liked the book.
Mitchell who we met at check in who was a great help with where to go in the city.
Charlie who we met the next day helped us with what activities to see and do on
the last day. all three were reason enough to come back, they didn't act as though
it was there job,I felt they enjoyed giving excellent service. Iam in the hospitality
business I know excellence when I see it. Job well done. Pam

• Stayed: October 2010
i1adive, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2010

Pam, thank you so much for recognizing some of our colleagues. We do take pride in working day to day with individuals that genuinely enjoy what they do and providing top notch service and it really means a lot to them and to us to hear the accolades of a job well done. I’ll be sure to pass on your comments, which I’m sure will mean a lot to the individuals you mentioned. I’m sure glad you had such a positive experience with us and that you decided to share with the Tripadvisor community. Thank again, Steve.

Reviewed October 8, 2010

My husband and I came to Milwaukee to attend a friend's wedding. We stayed at the Intercontinental since the reviews for this hotel were decent and the other four star hotels were very expensive. The room was large and the free wifi is a plus. We had a room with a king size bed, but the bed was a little lumpy so after the second night, our backs felt a little sore. There was a strange smell in our bathroom, but the cleaning ladies were nice enough to spray and wipe down the toilet several times. The location is very central, although everything to see or do in Milwaukee is within a 15 minute drive from each other. Parking is quite expensive at about $24/day for self-serve. The parking garage is under construction but we didn't hear any noise from our hotel room.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

We’re very thankful that you decided to choose us for your visit to Milwaukee. I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t have a more comfortable night’s sleep. We typically get very positive marks for the comfort of our beds so I would be interested to find out which room you were in so that we can fix that immediately. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel. –Steve

Reviewed October 8, 2010

I wanted to express my gratitude and appreciation to all the staff at this hotel. The event could not have been better. Most of our friends and family stay 2 nights/days and every commented on the great staff and service they received. The hotel is just beautiful and they made our wedding occasion very special. The rehearsal dinner was booked at the Kilowatt Bar/restaurant and that was unbelievable. The wait staff did an excellent job with the food service and the dinner was perfect. Thank you all for taking care of the family and friends that participated. A big thanks to Bridget-the events coordinator!!! You surpassed yourself!!!...The wedding event on the 2nd floor was to beautiful for words and again the staff presented themselves in a professional manner!! I haven't seen this type of service in many years and many weddings...The decor is dynamic as well. I will definitely recommend your hotel to anyone that is looking for a great place to visit and stay. It was money well spent!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

Bridget IS incredible. We are very fortunate to have her on our team. She has such a positive and upbeat personality which truly shines through with all of her clients. Her passion alone helps to motivate all around her to put on great events. We will be sure to pass your comments on to all that had a hand in making you’re your special event a special memory. Best wishes to the bride & groom. -Steve

Reviewed October 3, 2010

We entered the lobby and were treated like we were the only guests. From beginnig to end, our week-end getaway was wonderful!! Great customer service! Clean, quiet and very comfortable rooms! Safe, secure, reasonably priced parking. Fantastic location! I am very fussy about service and cleanliness and this was definitely top of the line. You can't go wrong booking you're stay at the Intercontinental Milwaukee!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

That’s great to hear! Thank you so much for the positive feedback. We are certainly glad that we had a positive contribution to your time in Milwaukee. Hope to see you again soon. –Steve