“Disappointed, do your homework”

InterContinental Milwaukee
Ranked #27 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Traveled to Milwaukee for the Marquette/Notre Dame basketball game on March 6, and picked the Intercontinental based on reviews and photos. The first thing that is confusing is the room choices. They offer deluxe, executive and superior. Booking the room online, the room descriptions are vague, so I booked the executive thinking it was the best room offered, since it cost the most money. We arrived at the hotel early, and left our bags with the concierge as the room was not ready. We spent the rest of the evening out, and didn't return to the hotel until 10 pm. Stopped at the front desk to get the key and up to the sixth floor we went. Now at most other hotels I have stayed, executive usually meant special lounge privileges, larger room, nicer bathroom; something above ordinary. Not at this intercontinental. Executive simply meant a fractioned room with a sitting area broken up by the tiny bathroom (tiny as the door to the bath was maximum 2 feet wide) with a dingy tub/shower combo. The room felt very claustrophobic. Adding to the claustrophobia, the heater was not working properly and the room was 82 degrees. Would not have been an issue if you could crack open a window, but the windows don't give you that option. A call to the front desk had a man there in about 1/2 an hour and the unit was fixed (sort of). No air was coming from the vent on the bed side of the room. When I questioned the maintenance guy he said that vent is too far from the blower and won't work no matter what. So after he left, we turned the air on and waited for the cool air to work its way to the bed side of the room. My biggest problem with the room was the poorly maintained bathroom. You can see on the pic I took, caulk coming off of the bathtub. I'd expect that at a Howard Johnson, not at an Intercontinental. Finally, the last issue was the room location. The sixth floor has a lovely view of a roof where seagulls congregate. ALL night long it sounded like we were being invaded by pterodactyls. Overall, for the price paid, I was disappointed. I had stayed at Intercontinental hotels before, but I won't go out of my way to stay again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
i1adive, Rooms Division Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2010

It’s unfortunate that we left you feeling disappointed and I would like to apologize on the behalf of our hotel. Based on your description we were able to identify the room and make the necessary repairs. We are currently working with the DNR to address the Seagulls. -Steve

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Milwaukee

Reviewed March 2, 2010

Fine atmosphere, personable service that was genuine and consistent, outstanding food, and four nights of very good sleep. We've seldom enjoyed a hotel stay as much as we did this one. The mature staff makes their high level of customer service seem natural, so the few glitches we ran into were easily resolved.

We ate our way through the appetizer and small plate menu in the lobby bar, with every dish interesting, fulfilling, and unique. Room service food was consistently top notch. They knew our breakfast order by the second day, and augmented it with little "chef's surprise" smoothies.

It's not a new hotel, and the bathrooms show that the most, but they've done the best they can in the upgrades; I suggest replacing the children's size compact toilets with new (and water efficient) units that can acomodate adult sizes in the same footprint.

The view of the Performing Arts Center with its dramatic evening light show-washed walls was so delightful that we left the curtains open.

Level of service to our clients' four-day meeting was equally high caliber - both meeting room support and food. This staff is as good as they get, and must be very competently led. We'll look for an opportunity to return. If you do, look into the theater offerings at the Performing Arts Center and the Rep theater adjacent to the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
tsmith61, General Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2010

Thank you for staying at the IC Milwaukee. Our staff is always pleased to read positive reviews from our guests, specifically those that notice our style of hospitality. We eagerly await a return visit.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

Parking was good, service was wonderful. Everyone we met was polite, professional, and very helpful. The room was clean and spacious. We had a wonderful time at the restaurant. The atmosphere was fun and the food was great.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
tsmith61, General Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2010

Thank you so much for visiting Milwaukee and the InterContinental Hotel. We are very proud of our services and facility and are thrilled that you took the time to share your experience. Please come back and visit soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2010

King Superior was relaxing with the spa shower.. The spacious bathroom helped a great deal. The Kilowatt restaurant had delicious food w/ the perfect amount of privacy. The fitness center - 24 hours - was clean with a sufficient variety of machines, weights, studio floor & treadmills. The beauty of the hotel keeps in the mood you want to be in. Just beautiful! If you're into the arts, theaters are connected to the hotel w/o having to go back outdoors! Awesome... Again, Jonathon Sims is incredible. My husband & I only want to go there when we can be met/checked in by Mr. Sims.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
i1adive, Rooms Division Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2010

Thank you for the positive illustration of the InterContinental Milwaukee. I'm glad to hear specifically about the service you enjoyed. Our goal is to provide a comfortable, stylish and guest focused experience and it sounds like that was accomplished by Mr. Sims. We will do our best to have him here as often as possible to make sure he’s here to greet you on your next visit. I will be sure to communicate your reverence to Jonathan.

Thanks again for the great post. - Steve

Reviewed January 19, 2010

The hotel staff are extremely nice. When my room key didn't work, I just had to wait in my room while an attendant got me a new one.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
i1adive, Rooms Division Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2010

It seems the staff responded instantaneously and left a positive impression. I certainly hope the key situation didn’t disrupt your day too much. Thanks for the post. - Steve

Reviewed December 22, 2009

Never been to Milwaukee was a last minute booking, entered the hotel was amazed with the great decor. Front desk was accomodating I was upgraded to a room that had a living and sleeping area which I enjoyed I love my space, great conceirge advise went to the brewry that was recommended loved it. The 24 hour health club great touch. My partner and I dinned n the Killawats resturant service and food just topped off a overall GREAT stay.. I will definately be back again. Love the city and is locked on where I will be staying for now on. Also I can't forget Rasheeda at the front desk who was the BEST giving us such a great room.. Great STAFF..Keep it up..

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
i1adive, Rooms Division Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2009

Thank you for the positive comments and we are certainly glad that you enjoyed your time here in Milwaukee and at our hotel. I appreciate that you took the time to recognize our colleague Reesheda and I will make sure that she receives the proper acknowledgements for her great service. We look forward to seeing you again.
Thanks again – Steve

Reviewed December 13, 2009

The hotel location can't be beat if you're visiting Marcus Center which was the purpose of my trip, I was only in Milwaukee for the night on a weekend escape to see the Nutcracker. The Milwaukee Ballet was fantastic incidentally! The hotel was clean and comfortable, friendly and helpful staff. Disappointing on this trip was a rude awakening to the intercom at 3 am telling us to proceed to the lower level via the stairs, do not use the elevator. We were notified by managed promptly however that the emergency was a power surge and to resume normal activity, which of course at 3 am for most was trying to get back to sleep. The major problem, it was 5 degrees in Milwaukee and we had no heat for over two hours and the room was freezing. We did get a letter under our door apologizing for the overnight power surge, but I was rather surprised that nothing compensatory was offered to show a sincere apology for such a major disruption of comfort. The Expedia website indicates that the hotel offers complimentary airport shuttle which is not so. It will cost you $12 for a shared van ride from the airport, per person, so be advised! The hotel website doesn't advertise complimentary shuttle, but beware if you're booking via Expedia! Overall, the room was up to Intercontinental standards and I'd return, and would recommend to others, however this particular stay fell short of my expectations...

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Jonathansi, Guest Services Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2009

We thank you again for staying with us at the Intercontinental Milwaukee and deeply apologize for the incidents that occurred during the night of your stay. We understand that your time is precious and so is the safety and security of all hotel guests. The power surge in question did hinder the stay of several guests and we as a management team have taken this incident as a learning tool to better serve our guest. We definitely appreciate your feedback and have worked diligently in problem resolution to make sure any future occurrences are handled with ease for all. We have also been in contact with Expedia to remove this misinformation and several other discrepancies from their web site which has now been successfully updated. I would definitely like for you to contact me at your discretion so we as a staff can make this right for you. We hope you enjoy this festive season and look forward to serving you in the near future.