“Good location, expensive amenities.”

InterContinental Milwaukee
Ranked #26 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago
“Good location, expensive amenities.”
Reviewed May 20, 2009

I stayed at the InterContinental Hotel in downtown Milwaukee for a trip of leisure. Overall I found the hotel nice and would probably stay there again.

We checked in late and the woman at the desk was not super friendly but the person there in the morning and everyone else in the hotel was great so I think she was a fluke. There are many restaurants and a club in the hotel so you do not have to leave the hotel if you are looking for something to do or for something to eat. Our room was nice and clean and the bed was comfortable. The hotel is walking distance from most things you would want to see in the Milwaukee downtown area. The hotel lobby is beautiful.

My major complaint is that you have to pay for everything extra at this hotel. Parking prices were ridiculous for a paying hotel guest and everything at the hotel is relatively expensive. If you are looking for a place to crash and are not going to take advantage of the other stuff then this would be the place for you. If you are planning on using the hotel amenities make sure you bring some extra cash.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Perfect hotel for someone who cannot stand filth. The hotel was very clean and quiet. Bed was quite comfortable. Only complaint is the shower had an access panel that was rusty and chipped. Nice workout room. I would return to this hotel. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Michigan
Reviewed March 19, 2009

Nice room and amenities. Great location. Fair price.

Didn't like paying for parking or paying to use the interent.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
wisconsin
Reviewed February 20, 2009

My friend and I stayed there last night and we were put on the fourth floor. It is the floor right above the convention rooms. There was SO much clanging and loud thumping. We got no sleep. They moved us down the hall which was no better. Maybe it's better on a higher floor. Next time I book a hotel, I am going to call the front desk to see WHERE the available rooms are.

Everything else was fine-Very helpful bell men, etc.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
Reviewed February 13, 2009

We spent one night here in early January 2009.

For an Intercontinental property, this was a very cheap find -- probably has something to do with it being Milwaukee in the middle of winter!

The hotel has a boutique feel to it, with a chic 70s decor.

Staff was courteous and professional from the minute we stepped into the building. Check in was quick and efficient.

Having stayed at many Intercontinental properties around the world, however, I didn't find this property up to the standard of the others I've stayed at. Everything was perfectly serviceable and fine during our stay. As a Royal Ambassador, we were upgraded to a "corner suite" (which isn't really a suite but a larger, corner room). The room was well appointed, with a large king bed with a lot of different sized pillows to choose from and I appreciated the free wi-fi they offered. I was disappointed in the lack of a bathtub, particularly in a "suite". There was too much furniture in the room to adequately move around it without fear of bumping into something. Some of the decor (carpets, wallpaper) was tired and in mild states of disrepair. Also for those used to it be aware there is no club at this property.

For the price, it was perfectly fine -- but for the brand, I found it subpar, more along the lines of a rehabbed Holiday Inn.

We had drinks at the clear bar and found the service good, prices reasonable, and the cheese fondue appetizer was great!

If we were to get another great rate and be in the area we'd likely stay here again. However, if you are used to a certain standard of ICH properties, you may be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank thebeerhunter
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed January 31, 2009

Being from Milwaukee I moved but come back all the time because I miss this city. Stayed at this hotel Jan 2nd for a Milwaukee Bucks game. This hotel should be the number 1 hotel in Milwaukee. From the minute you walk in the door you are treated like a star. We were greeted several times, and check in was a breeze. The lobby is the newest up to date lobby that I have seen in a long time. The lights change, there is a fountain, and nice little shrubs and bushes inside. The lobby is VERY clean, I could almost see myself in the floor.

The hallways to the rooms are dim lite with nice lights and bright colors on the wall. Our room had plenty of space, complete with a digital scale, a large window with a beautiful view of downtown Milwaukee. My girlfriend went down to the hotel bar to get a six pack of Coronas, when she got back, like an idiot I forgot a bottle opener. I went down to the bar myself, explained to the bartender, and he actually just gave me one of his and told me to keep it! Like I said, the staff is amazing. Very comfy chairs in the room that you can just sink right into, and we did not want to get out of the bed.

After the game, we changed and went right to the Zen Den which is just off the lobby. Once again, another beautiful addition to the property. Very chill, with electric music at a reasonable level. Gorgeous bartenders who were all very good at what they do.

If you are looking to stay downtown in this great city this is the place. Location is perfect.

• Liked — The feel good vibe the hotel gives you.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joeskier
Boynton Beach Florida
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We had a lovely time. The room was very clean and spacious. 2 double beds. Absolutely no bad odors. 2 sinks one outside the bathroom. Nice toiletries. 9th floor provided a spectacular view of downtown Milwaukee. My camera need it batteries so didn't take pictures. If you go in the winter there is a cute ice rink near the hotel accompanied by a Starbucks that allows you to rent ice skates.
Wonderful restaurants. We tried Johnny Buono. it was buonissimo( very good)!!!! Chicago style pizza at an excellent price. Parking a little difficult and not included in the price. Elevators will take you from the garage to the main lobby and then you proceed to the front desk.
There is a small, but worth while modern art museum in the lobby area. Also a gift shop. Very close to shopping mall / stores. Just a great location. You will enjoy the stay.

• Liked — Clean and spacious rooms
  • Disliked — internet for a fee in the room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)