“Good downtown location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Palatine, Illinois
“Good downtown location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Nice upscale-like lobby and bars but restaurant and bars a bit overpriced (for Milwaukee). Rooms comfortable and room rates okay. Have met there three times now for annual family Bulls/Bucks game and had a great time. Good location.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

My first stay at InterContinental Milwaukee was mid-December 2013 and I returned during early January 2014, all while conducting family business around Greater Milwaukee. I particularly appreciated the self-parking underneath--costs $25 per day, but once I chose a "parking package" that chopped a few bucks off, and for the other visit I happened to be renting one of the two Zipcars that park there anyway with a pass (and that coincidence boosted my convenience considerably). In December I was upgraded for free to a larger King room with a mini-livingroom just inside and in January I stayed in the regular "deluxe" King room I'd booked (lowest rate available). The northward view from the smaller room was better, in my opinion (since the bigger eastward-facing room looked over a dark, snowy roof, then across to other windows in the hotel and office tower, as well as partially blocked segments of downtown and riverside). The smaller King room was plenty big, with many outlets, a huge work-station/desk and a recliner. During both stays all the staff I encountered went out of their ways to accommodate, even (at the start of the the first visit) seeking through the lost-and-found and finding and delivering to my room a loaner wall adapter for my tablet charger when I called down wondering if they had any for sale because I'd just realized I'd inadvertently left mine at a relative's place. There was a terry-cloth robe & spa slippers in the room on the first visit and a robe (because they were out of slippers) for the second--I was told this is the usual practice and if I'm ever there and find there's no robe in the closet I can call and housekeeping will bring one. Overall, I can't think up any cause for complaints, but I've left off a star because the bathrooms in both rooms, while adequate, had older fixtures--rust around the tub in the first and a broken fan in the second. Also, during the December visit the soda vending machine on my floor was inoperative and during the January visit, the ice machine on my floor was barely operative--I reported all these minor problems, and if I'd asked, I do believe (based on how eager to please everyone there has behaved, so far) probably the staff would offered to change my room (if possible) or to bring ice or soda up. The rooms there do not have mini-fridges, but both I stayed in were equipped with iron, ironing board, hair dryer, radio-music-player-alarm-clocks, ice bucket and tongs, glasses and mugs, coffee-maker (with supplies) and very pleasantly fragrant toiletries. Free basic WiFi was free and it was fast enough for my smartphone, tablet and ultrabook.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ECP-Writes
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Wow...what an amazing review for any traveler coming to our city. Thank you for being so detailed in helping visitors understand the essence of who we are--a truly service oriented hotel whose guests come first. I thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. By the way, the next time you are here, we do have "mini-fridges" that can be brought up to your room. Most of our guests do not use them, but we certainly keep them around for those who like the convenience of having one in their rooms. We hope to see you again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We booked a executive room at the hotel. It was lovely overlooking the ice skating rink with two large windows. Before we left for the evening the toilet would not flush. We called the front desk they assured us someone would take care of it while we were out. Once we returned 4 hours later after dinner and a hockey game there was a note on the bathroom door informing us the toilet was very broken and could not be fixed. We COULD move to another room if we wanted. Well of course we wanted to move. However no executive room was available because it was so late and all the rooms were taken so we were moved to a dingy standard room on the conference room level. The staff tried to accommodate with free breakfast. My problem was why did they not save a room earlier in the evening. Of course we would want a bathroom!!! Not my definition of a high quality hotel providing superior service to their guests.

Room Tip: Make sure you upgrade because the standard rooms are very standard.
2 Thank Nicole0611
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Nicole0611,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are deeply sorry for the experience you had with your room accommodations and the service you received did not live up to your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Rest assured, we have taken note of comments and have forwarded to the appropriate department for review and enhancements.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Great location downtown on the river. Clean rooms with a good amount of space and my last one had a fantastic work desk to get things done. We made use of their work spaces on the 3rd floor working all day out of the board room. In here service was good (people ensured we were appropriately stocked, brought in lunch & breakfast daily both of which were good). The service is as to be expected and the main bar is a decent place to gather and relax. Parking is a touch pricey for the area @ $25.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

For a mini-Christmas vacation, my husband and I booked a two night "bed and breakfast" package. Our family consists of four, two teenagers (male and female, one year apart) and us. We reserved a standard double room, and asked for a cot from housekeeping. With a little rearranging (scooting a chair, and a floor lamp) the cot fit very nicely by the window and we still had LOTS of room remaining to walk around and move in our room. We were on the 10th floor and had a great view of a cute outdoor ice skating rink that was decorated nicely with Christmas lights. The hotel staff was pleasant, and professional. The breakfast "vouchers" included in our package were not for every member of our family; however, the Kil@Wat (the hotel's upscale restaurant) staff removed all beverages from our bill and instead of removing the two least expensive breakfast meals, removed the two most expensive meals! Our breakfast bill before the voucher was approximately $66/per day, but after the breakfast voucher (and before tip) we paid $22! What a wonderful surprise. Our teenagers felt like we were really splurging and felt like we were rich by eating in this beautiful restaurant for breakfast. It was a fun experience and a great treat, and we did not "break the bank" in the process! We would highly recommend this package ESPECIALLY for a family that has big teenage eaters! We enjoyed a Buck's game during our mini-Milwaukee vacation, and it was very easy to walk to the game from our hotel. We had dinner at the Safe House, which was a fun experience (not spectacular food, but that's not why people go to the restaurant, the atmosphere is fun and that's why people go there). We also ate at Joey Bueno's Italian restaurant (not within walking distance during the winter) and loved their food! If you go, order the Italian nachos, there will be enough to share with the entire table and won't ruin your appetite for the entrees you choose. Great vacation! The kids said they can't believe how much fun they had! Additionally we went to the Milwaukee Public Museum (not within walking distance during winter) and were surprised how pricey it was for a "public" museum, but had a nice time. Only negatives: the granite in our bathroom counter needed to be resealed, the tub had pealing enamel, and the staff at the front desk did not allow me to have a cot placed in our room, but a simple call to housekeeping upon arriving to our room fixed that. Housekeeping within 10 minutes brought a cot to our room, set it up and made sure we had extra pillows and blankets too! We would repeat this vacation in a heartbeat! Please note, the parking is $25/day to park in the hotel ramp, so be sure to include this in your budget.

Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

The valet service was extremely prompt and helpful and the service from front desk staff extremely friendly. I really liked the bar and dining options at this hotel. Location was central to most everything downtown. The rooms were clean and well appointed but definitely not over the top. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again at the right price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Appleton, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

For rooms that cost over 200.00 a night, I would have expected a lot nicer room than I stayed in. The door connecting the rooms had the laminate hanging off it, as did the entrance door to the room. There was left over bottle caps on the floor. We didn't use the towels that were stacked on the shelves in the bathrooms because the shelves had so much dust on them, I doubt the towels were very clean. The bellhop couldn't get one of the lights near the bed to go on. The bathrobe in the room was torn on the shoulder. So over all, the rooms definitely need updating and the cleaning staff needs to do a better job cleaning.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear dsnynana,

I truly appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. It was nice to hear you like our friendly staff. However, please accept my sincerest apologies for any difficulties that you may have encountered during your stay with us. I am sorry if the housekeeping service and state of the door was less than satisfactory. Rest assured your comments are valued and aid in the improvement of our services and amenities.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope we have opportunity to serve you again.

Zelyn N