“Service with a capital S!”

InterContinental Milwaukee
Ranked #31 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel really is lovely. It is a short walk to Lake Michigan, Shopping areas downtown, and has all of the amenities. The stand out for me was the level of service. Staff were very courteous, respectful, and helpful. The bed had a goosedown pillow top that was so soft and comfortable. The bar area near the lobby is a great place to hang out with friends, and there were nightly happy hours.

Room Tip: If I stayed there again, I would ask fo ra street view, rather than a view of the rooftop of the hot...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

All areas of our industry are important in making guests feel special when they are away from home; however, we believe it begins with service. Much time is spent in training personnel in this area; so, it was with utmost pleasure I read this review. I do believe the decision to add the goosedown pillow top was at the top of many of our guests lists. I hope we have the pleasure of your company again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I pricelined and got a good price for this hotel, then was concerned when I read a lot of the recent reviews, especially those that indicated cleanliness issues. The room was clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. Bathroom is smaller and basic. Bed was comfortable. We could hear conversations through the bathroom vent though, very odd. Very nice exercise room. Staff was very friendly. No am coffee, always a disappointment but there is a Starbucks across the street. We don't usually prefer hotel dining so didn't try it. Hotel lobby bar was quite busy both nights we were there. Nothing exceptional here, but would stay again. We were in town visiting our daughter at college.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write this review We continue to work on all areas to meet the expectations of guests. It is always reassuring to hear our staff was appreciated. I was delighted to read you would stay again. I would encourage you to try dining in if you have the time the next time you are in town. Many of our guests find it to be exceptional.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Overall no major issues. Good location, staff was very friendly, lobby bar was nice, and breakfast in the restaurant was excellent. But considering what we paid for a premium room, was not impressed. Rooms were updated but still felt very old, dark, and a bit cramped. Also - No fridge in room was a let down.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jason S

...A very nice beginning to this review, thank you. Happy you noticed the update but regret it was not to your liking. As for the fridge...we have them available at all times upon request. We would have been very happy to have accommodated you. Thank you for the very nice review on the restaurant, and we hope should you be back our way, we might have the pleasure of your company again..

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I just stayed at the Intercontinental for one night. First let me start by saying the staff here is amazing. Everyone we came in contact with from checking in to the door man out front couldn't have been nicer. The lobby is abslutely beautiful too. Very nice first impression.

The rooms are very clean and updated. One surprise I had was how small the executive deluxe room was. From all the pictures I pulled up on the internet it appeared to be MUCH larger with a double sink bathroom and larger area overall. I was quite shocked when I realized that not even two people could pass in the bathroom by the sink area. Not terrible, just very small.

The bed was so comfortable except for the down mattress topper. Feathers kept coming out and sticking me all night.

I thought the chocolate bar in the evening was a nice idea for peple returning back to the hotel. Treats were lovely and well priced too.

Overall a nice, beautiful, clean hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you for all the specific comments in this review. Our goal is always to be responsive to our guests comments and needs. I love it when I hear guests mention the amenities they partook in and/or noticed (lobby/chocolate bar). I do hope you mentioned the feather issue as it can be quickly remedied. I am delighted to know you would stay again as there is no greater compliment. We look forward having you again, hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

The lobby is fabulous. Guest service is amazing. I have to give props to Jessica at the front desk. Her personalized service and comforting voice were like an angel's breath. The bar was great and Illumination was tasty. My only complaint was the guest baths had received a superficial makeover but were still essentially from the 70s. Kudos!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for pointing out the attributes you found at the hotel. I always love hearing a guest's favorite part of their stay. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Based on my experience at comparably rated hotels, InterContinental Milwaukee does not deserve a 4- or 5-star rating.

The building's entrance yields to a modern, desperate-to-be-stylish lobby. As with most over-rated hotels, the impressive lobby and restaurant are simply a pretension, or an impressive bandage over the shortcomings of food quality and guest rooms.

My king-bed guest room had a noticeable amount of grime. The bathroom featured dark dust bunnies on the ceiling, creating an overhanging path to the air return vent. A prominent curtain behind the bed not only refused to ascend, but also had two wide tracts of dirt, from top to bottom, dead center in the middle. A separate curtain over another window had multiple pencil marks and a stain. When everything in a room is beige, dirt stands out. Unfortunately, this hotel has not made a convincing attempt to thoroughly clean its rooms.

As if dirtiness was not insult enough, wifi was slowish in loading simple webpages and unbearable when loading google maps and directions. Other things unnerved me, like the lack of a trash receptacle anywhere other than the bathroom, a temperature control system that alternately made the room Yucatan Peninsula hot then let it cool to room temperature, and the positioning of an intimacy pack (the only non-food item in the snack basket) next to cans of Red Bull. I quickly reminded myself to not just lock the door, but also the windows. Red Bull, after all, gives you wings.

And if anything should stand out at a highly rated hotel, it should be drinks and food. Food at Milwaukee's InterContinental compares to what you would receive under 3-star accommodations. My room-service Belgian waffle was hardly malted as advertised (a dash of Carnation malted milk powder may have been added, hastily). Nor did it come with the promised berry compote. Altogether, it tasted like something you would quickly make in an iron yourself, as a cheap brunch. Having also ordered a fruit plate, I expected freshness and sweetness that is standard at decent restaurants; but once again I was disappointed. Sadly, even the friendliest of service cannot make up for food this underwhelming.

The bottom line is this is not the worst hotel you will stay in. It is simply the worst "luxury" or "high-end" hotel you will stay in, not only because of its stereotypically Wisconsin outlook on food quality that doesn't involve cheese or beer, but also because of all the little things you expect--post 1990's internet speeds, trash bins, and cleanliness that at the very least reaches a level of superficiality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

We are committed to providing the best service and facility for all of our guests. This review is difficult at best and I apologize for not meeting your expectations. We are currently going through each room with our new housekeeping manager to find the problem that may exist in any guest room. We will continue to strive to give the best quality of service and facility. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here 1 night and that was enough for me. The rooms are exhausted looking with holes in the walls where the new wall hangings don't cover the old hanging's marks. The room service food is overpriced and nothing great if not yuck. There were spiders in the room (at least 3) which totally grossed me out. And they overcharged me over $400 to which they could never explain why. The over charge got corrected after a whole week and multiple calls to a sometimes helpful sometimes extremely rude front house manager and mostly rude receptionists.
The pro's good location and a pretty lobby.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family