“Overall a nice stay”

InterContinental Milwaukee
Ranked #27 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I just stayed at the Intercontinental for one night. First let me start by saying the staff here is amazing. Everyone we came in contact with from checking in to the door man out front couldn't have been nicer. The lobby is abslutely beautiful too. Very nice first impression.

The rooms are very clean and updated. One surprise I had was how small the executive deluxe room was. From all the pictures I pulled up on the internet it appeared to be MUCH larger with a double sink bathroom and larger area overall. I was quite shocked when I realized that not even two people could pass in the bathroom by the sink area. Not terrible, just very small.

The bed was so comfortable except for the down mattress topper. Feathers kept coming out and sticking me all night.

I thought the chocolate bar in the evening was a nice idea for peple returning back to the hotel. Treats were lovely and well priced too.

Overall a nice, beautiful, clean hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you for all the specific comments in this review. Our goal is always to be responsive to our guests comments and needs. I love it when I hear guests mention the amenities they partook in and/or noticed (lobby/chocolate bar). I do hope you mentioned the feather issue as it can be quickly remedied. I am delighted to know you would stay again as there is no greater compliment. We look forward having you again, hopefully in the near future.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Milwaukee

Reviewed October 30, 2012

The lobby is fabulous. Guest service is amazing. I have to give props to Jessica at the front desk. Her personalized service and comforting voice were like an angel's breath. The bar was great and Illumination was tasty. My only complaint was the guest baths had received a superficial makeover but were still essentially from the 70s. Kudos!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for pointing out the attributes you found at the hotel. I always love hearing a guest's favorite part of their stay. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Based on my experience at comparably rated hotels, InterContinental Milwaukee does not deserve a 4- or 5-star rating.

The building's entrance yields to a modern, desperate-to-be-stylish lobby. As with most over-rated hotels, the impressive lobby and restaurant are simply a pretension, or an impressive bandage over the shortcomings of food quality and guest rooms.

My king-bed guest room had a noticeable amount of grime. The bathroom featured dark dust bunnies on the ceiling, creating an overhanging path to the air return vent. A prominent curtain behind the bed not only refused to ascend, but also had two wide tracts of dirt, from top to bottom, dead center in the middle. A separate curtain over another window had multiple pencil marks and a stain. When everything in a room is beige, dirt stands out. Unfortunately, this hotel has not made a convincing attempt to thoroughly clean its rooms.

As if dirtiness was not insult enough, wifi was slowish in loading simple webpages and unbearable when loading google maps and directions. Other things unnerved me, like the lack of a trash receptacle anywhere other than the bathroom, a temperature control system that alternately made the room Yucatan Peninsula hot then let it cool to room temperature, and the positioning of an intimacy pack (the only non-food item in the snack basket) next to cans of Red Bull. I quickly reminded myself to not just lock the door, but also the windows. Red Bull, after all, gives you wings.

And if anything should stand out at a highly rated hotel, it should be drinks and food. Food at Milwaukee's InterContinental compares to what you would receive under 3-star accommodations. My room-service Belgian waffle was hardly malted as advertised (a dash of Carnation malted milk powder may have been added, hastily). Nor did it come with the promised berry compote. Altogether, it tasted like something you would quickly make in an iron yourself, as a cheap brunch. Having also ordered a fruit plate, I expected freshness and sweetness that is standard at decent restaurants; but once again I was disappointed. Sadly, even the friendliest of service cannot make up for food this underwhelming.

The bottom line is this is not the worst hotel you will stay in. It is simply the worst "luxury" or "high-end" hotel you will stay in, not only because of its stereotypically Wisconsin outlook on food quality that doesn't involve cheese or beer, but also because of all the little things you expect--post 1990's internet speeds, trash bins, and cleanliness that at the very least reaches a level of superficiality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

We are committed to providing the best service and facility for all of our guests. This review is difficult at best and I apologize for not meeting your expectations. We are currently going through each room with our new housekeeping manager to find the problem that may exist in any guest room. We will continue to strive to give the best quality of service and facility. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here 1 night and that was enough for me. The rooms are exhausted looking with holes in the walls where the new wall hangings don't cover the old hanging's marks. The room service food is overpriced and nothing great if not yuck. There were spiders in the room (at least 3) which totally grossed me out. And they overcharged me over $400 to which they could never explain why. The over charge got corrected after a whole week and multiple calls to a sometimes helpful sometimes extremely rude front house manager and mostly rude receptionists.
The pro's good location and a pretty lobby.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012

(I originally wrote this on my phone and somehow had to make a new account. So, this is my review.)

We are actually at the hotel right now and regretting our choice. As soon as we get showered, we're going to the front desk to see if we can switch rooms. The problem is that we have a room with a connecting door. That door is so thin, it sounds like our neighbors are in our room. I've been listening (not by choice) to their conversation about soap, where to have breakfast, their friends, a sweater someone really loves, perfume vs. body spray, etc. Did I mention this can all be heard over the tv (turned on to drown out the neighbors).

So, tip one: make sure your room doesn't have a connecting door.

Tip two: don't expect to get any late night menu items from the 24 hour kitchen. We called and they had a half a sandwich (?) and two salads available. Not two kinds of salad, two total salads. That was it. No thanks.

We will not be staying here again. We expect a level of comfort that this price range implies. The Intercontinental did not deliver.

PS: We thought the bed was super comfortable and would love to purchase one of the featherbeds! Who makes it?

Room Tip: Ask for a room without an adjoing/connecting door. Also, don't plan to eat after midnight.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept my sincerest apology for the overall issues you had during your stay. I would like to speak to you regarding your experience. I can be reached at 414-299-3173. I look forward to hearing from you soon. -Jenny Tucker

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had excellent service from the valet staff, front desk, restaurant and room service. All were very friendly. Several of our family members stayed at the Intercontinental at the same time & all agreed that the beds are among the most comfortable of any hotel! Although the decor in the common areas was a bit modern for my taste, the property was clean and well kept up. Some of the younger folks in our group enjoyed being able to play table tennis off the lobby. Great feature!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. This is the first on line mention of our table tennis and it is nice to know it was a hit with your party. The best news is the "excellent service" comment. We are committed to making our patrons stay a warm, comfortable one, and it begins with service in all areas. It was our pleasure to have you.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We chose to stay the evening of 9/21 as we were going to a show in the area. Allegedly we received an upgrade to King Executive Suite. Let's just say the rooms were dated and they were in need of deep cleaning. The living area furniture was ornamental and not functional. Amenities "basket" included very over priced snacks and a "Intimacy Kit..." The presence of the "kit" and the location of the establishment, could lead one to believe that this is a place for "nooners." The ironing board had stains on it. The bathroom corners were very dirty. On the up side the bed was very comfortable. It appeared to us all the upgrades were done in the lobby.. color changing lights, comfy seating, etc. There was a Chocolate bar available for an exceptional fee...
We have stayed in Holiday Inn's and hotels with our Priority club , however, this time the Intercontinental did not raise to the level of what we typically expect from the Intercontinental chains...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

We are committed to offering the finest service to our guest. Each review is given close scrutiny as we deem all input important to improving and maintaining a standard which our guests expect. Thank you for specifying your problematic areas. We are going through each area searching to improve.