“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #26 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I wasn't surprised by the quality of the hotel. As a resident of Milwaukee, I remember when it was the Wyndham and it wasn't too shabby then so I didn't expect anything less. Everything in the lobby was well kept, and room service was prompt.

I was surprised though with the condition of the tub/shower. Paint peeling on the bottom of the tub, ceiling with a few rust spots; that is unacceptable for a hotel of this stature.

This could also be me being very picky, but I thought a robe wouldn't be so bad either (I've had them in other hotels with the same star rating). Another note is that I asked the front desk to have silverware sent up to my room and it never arrived. Try to find parking at one of the neighboring lots. You might have to walk a block or two (maybe less) but paying $30 per night for parking was a bit much for me (this isn't Chicago).

All in all though, it is a nice hotel and I would still stay here again. Actually am considering another mini-getaway for the weekend at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank travelgirl140
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Thank you for your candid remarks. Our staff is taking another look at all areas needing repair/refreshening. "Picky"...? Not at all. We appreciate all ideas that enable us to better serve our patrons. We are especially pleased you are considering returning to the hotel for another stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I was excited to see the that there was a new Intercontinental in Milwaukee. I travel fro business to the area 3-4 times a year and was delighted to have a new option. The lobby area was very nice and the staff at check in, was most helpful. I was somewhat disappointed int he condition of hte room. It appeared that the property had been taken over by Intercontinental. The room configuration was small and odd, the bed was way to close to the larger falt screen TV. The room had been redeocrated but the air vents from the air conditioner, had not been cleaned. There was a blackish, dusty mark around hte venting, as though dirt was being blown out with each fan cycle. There was also a strange smell with the air as well. This could have been a result fo the major construction project on the streeet and sidwalk outside the hotel. All in all, a good location and nice hotle but I did have concerns about the air quality.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Service and ambiance are both very important to us. Happy to hear the staff was helpful and nice. We will look into all the detailed blemishes to rectify these promptly. We will be delighted when construction ends as it has added some challenges. Thank you for taking the time to review and we hope that we may have the opportunity to serve you again.
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed September 9, 2011

This is the second time i have written this review, for some reason it was taken off the first time ...i am writing it again as i have to let others know how bad this hotel really is!. I never write reviews but for this hotel i just had too, i stayed at the hotel 3 times over a period of a month. The reason i stayed 3 times was i purhchased my stays online through a company that offers discounts rooms but you dont know the hotel name until aftre you pay...aftre my experience at the intercontinental i will never use it again as i dont want to get the intercontinetal milwaukee ever again...i would rather pay triple there undisclosed hotel name rate then risk having to stay here again.
My first stay we ordered room service, i ordered a dish with chicken which i only noticed was partially raw aftre eating a few pieces...needless to say at 3am i was dreadfully sick. The hotel offered a comp breakfast to make up for the raw chicken...the breakfast was horrible with rubbery pancakes and rotton fruit! you would think after food poisoning me they would have least given me food that wasnt viably rotton!.
The second stay we were in room 1001 which is right next to the cleaners room, we had a late night at a conference and starting at 0730 the cleaners were bashing there carts into the walls etc to get them into the hallway , loudly talking etc. Once again needless to say i wasnt very happy as it sounded like a heard of angry elephants.
Our third and last stay i asked for a quite room, we didnt order room service, at 0630 i was woken to the sound of a TV...it sounded like it was the TV in my room it was so loud, after knocking on the wall next door the person screamed back 'what do you want' i replied please turn down the TV etc...the TV wasnt turned down and the person obviously left with the TV blaring, by 0730 an 3 phone calls to the front desk i was getting very angry as they wouldnt enter the room to turn down the TV. At 8am i yelled out "turn the TV down i need to sleep!" i then received a knocj at the door....it was the front desk telling me that they heard me yelling and if i didnt stop they would escort me from the property!!!!! i couldnt believe it, so instead of just enetring the room to turn it down i get treatened to be removed! i was stunned.
Not only did i experience the above but after being in 3 seperate rooms i agree with every negative comment on here, the bathtubs are rusty & smelly(have a look at the photos and you will see a number of people have images the rusty bathtubs), the wallpaper is old and wrinkly(and most likely moldy as they get steamed up quite easily) the room service food is sub par and so are the front desk staff bar a couple of individuals...the valet are prob the best staff the hotel has.
Overall i will never use any service where i dont know the hotel name upfront when it comes to staying in Milwaukee just incase i get the Intercontinetal, there are many establishments of higher quality within downtown Milwaukee and im sure some are cheaper then the intercontinental

Room Tip: stay away from rooms 1000-1001, 900-901 etc due to being near vending machines & cleaners
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank d c
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed here over the Labor Day weekend. The first room that we were given was perfect in every way but the air conditioning unit worked fine in the "sitting room" area whereas it was very hot in the bedroom area. Apparently (as the engineer explained to us) the unit is too small to cool both areas below 74 degrees or so. We stayed in the room for one night and asked to be moved to a different room. The second room we stayed in was a large room with one king sized bed. The air conditioning worked perfectly (it was 92 degrees outside), the bed was comfortable, and the decor was fresh but we had mold in the bathroom - specifically in the shower ceiling - apparently due to a leak behind the wall. We mentioned this to the front desk person and the mold was cleaned. (Nevertheless it is unpleasant and unhealthy to stay in a room with mold). What needed to be done is to fix the leak causing the mold but we figured the hotel would do that after we checked out.
We had breakfast at their restaurant and I must say that it was wonderful. If you decide to stay here, add the breakfast option. Unlike other hotels, it was not a buffet but á la carte - you did not have to wait in line for whatever you desired, it was hot and freshly made. The service at the hotel was outstanding - everyone was extremely pleasant, cheerful, and helpful - be it at the front desk, the restaurant, or the valet.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I got a really great price on hotwire so the hotel was an excellent value. Intercontinental is one of my favorite brands and this was representative of the brand. The best part was a very reasonably priced breakfast/lunch in the Kilawat restaurant. Service was excellent and so was the food! I am generally very particular about service and the food was interesting and fresh. The beds were reasonably comfortable and the rooms were consistent with the Intercontinental brand. The gym had a variety of equipment and there was a full locker room with a sauna and steam room. Though the steam room was broken in both the men's and women's locker room. Parking was a little more than expected for Milwaukee -$25 per night, but the hotel is in a great location downtown. All in all a very positive experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Madison,WI
Reviewed September 4, 2011

The room was very spacious, modern decor,comfortable bed. We needed to call for more towels and a second bathrobe which were supplied quickly. Bathroom shower was very nice with 2 shower heads. Mini bar was well stocked.
We chose to eat in the hotel. The place was empty, only 2 tables occupied. We were seated at the last table next to the kitchen. When I asked for a different table they moved us in the loft which was empty. The food and service was excellent after that.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Room,dinner and parking was $500. for a 1 night stay..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank hotelsnobMadison_WI
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Thank you for taking time to respond about your recent stay. It is good to hear our staff being responsive to all your needs and that you were comfortable with the accommodations. I think you will find our summer price competitive if you compare us to similar hotels by location, appointment, and amenities. We will be running some great fall specials, hope to see you back.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We decided to do a one night get away in downtown Milwaukee (and we actually live in elsewhere in the city). We chose the Intercontinental because it is on Water St. and we were attending the Milwaukee Motorcycle rally festivities. I was very impressed by the outstanding service we received, especially by the friendly and professional bartenders. We had breakfast delivered and it was great...not like some I've had elsewhere. It was still hot and delicious. And then there was the bed. Probably the most comfortable bed I have ever been in. All in all, we had a great time and will stay again in the future when we need a quick get away!

Room Tip: We were offered an upgrade to a suite as they had vacancy for cheap. Wish we would have taken it...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Relaxation, comfort, delicious food and great service are what we strive to produce. We are delighted to hear we did not fall short of the mark and truly look forward to your next visit. Thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay. We hope to see you soon.