“One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in - we will be back again!”
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed August 3, 2010

This stay was recommended to us by an employee of the Harley Davidson museum (which is just down the road from the hotel) that we met on the ferry over from Muskegon, Mi. The staff was very helpful and friendly...made you feel like you were VIP... A free drink at the check-in counter (the day we were there was Sangria day --yum!)
The room we had was beautiful...great restaurant and food... The outdoor bar area called "The Yard" had a gorgeous open seating area. You could sit at the bar...other tables with bar stools....or maybe lounge on a nearby sofa or comfy chair. The owner was out and about greeting the guests. You could tell he wanted to make sure your stay was the best it could be.
My husband particularly liked the nice parking area for motorcylces...and the motorcylce wash area provided by the hotel. Everything you needed to keep your bike looking great!
We ordered room service for the morning. I got an omlette and my husband ordered the french toast. It was delicious. The portions are huge...next time we'll split an order.
Our room was as nice..and actually maybe nicer...than hotel rooms we've had in Las Vegas. The decor was modern and beautiful. This isn't just any hotel - it is a very unique place to stay.

1  Thank harleyholly77

Reviewed August 3, 2010

I so appreciated the treatment that I received during my stay. Everyone was helpful and friendly. The room was very comfortable and clean. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Milwaukee.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I would not have expected to find one of the nicest hotels I've ever experienced in Milwaukee, but that's what we got during our stay. This is one of the few hotels we've found where you actually want to stay on site for the day and night. The staff is extraordinarily friendly and helpful, especially considering how busy it was during our time there. We would absolutely return and hope to do so soon.

There are almost too many items to list in the "good" category, but you can start with the rooms. Each room (based on other photos) is a little different but basically contains the same features: huge space, high ceilings, fantastic bathrooms, comfortable beds, and a stocked and not outrageously expensive mini bar. They are all loft style rooms with expose beams, tile, and brick. The dimmers on all the LED track lighting is a nice touch...one of the nicest rooms I've been in. The lobby is its own attraction, as overflow from the three bars and restaurant ends up here, making it a fun place to be. Great music makes its way through out the lobby and nearby indoor bar. The hotel restaurant was a nice place to have our anniversary dinner, with a decent wine list and good midwestern-style gormet. Where the real fun happens however is "The Yard", the hotel's outdoor patio bar. You know you are at a fun hotel when most of the people hanging out at your bar are not staying on-site...it is a great patio bar, with tons of table and sofa seating, great music, gas fireplaces, the works. This hotel has a lot going for it.

One of the only things I can list as "not good" were the location, which really wasn't that big of an issue. The hotel is in a warehouse district (it looks itself to be a renovated warehouse) near the Milwaukee rail line. We didn't notice the noise, but were on the front side of the property...I'd recommend requesting such a spot if you can, although you will hear an occasional motorcycle. You are a quick 15 minute walk to the third ward, where Milwaukee Ale house, the Market (a great indoor local market), and other bars reside. It's also a snap to have the front desk grab you a cab out to areas like Brady Street. Our only other issue was that you could at times hear the people in the next room. It wasn't distracting...and I'm a light sleeper and would have definitely noticed. I think it has to do with the vents bringing in some higher pitched sounds...as I never heard a television or anything like that. It was never such that we had to call the front desk or anything, just something we noticed once or twice during the weekend.

All in all, this is one of the nicest and most complete hotels you'll find. You can easily spend 10am to 2am at this place and feel like you had a great time.

1  Thank Hawks80
Reviewed July 29, 2010

My friends and I stayed at the Iron Horse Hotel on the recommendation of another friend. We were tempted to stay someplace less expensive, but we splurged and, holy moly, it was worth the few extra dollars. The check in was simple and they gave us free cocktails.

We spent the night out on the town. We were former Marquette students coming to town for a mini reunion and Brewer's game. I could not believe it, but when we asked about the best place to buy tickets, the hotel told us they had 4 tickets available for the game and they GAVE us the tickets. FOR FREE. And I am not talking about cheap seats. We were in the 100 level! And it was a bobblehead game!

As for the hotel, the lobby was beautiful and the room even better. We were worried about space with 4 women, but there was plenty of space. The service was excellent.

We had dinner in the restaurant, Smyth. It was a lovely meal and the server was very attentive. Dinner was expensive, but worth the extra cost.

All in all, a suprisingly great stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank MelanieS34
ironhorsehotel, General Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2010

Thank you so much for joining us! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your business.
Anna Anderson

Reviewed July 25, 2010

This was the first time my friends and I have ever stayed at the Iron Horse, and I must say, we were very impressed! From the moment you walk up to the check in desk, and are given a free drink, you know you are somewhere special! The customer service is top notch, all the employees go out of their way to make sure you feel welcome, and the decor is just so different than anywhere else you have ever been. I was born and raised in Milwaukee, and now live in Wisconsin Rapids, and I never remember a hotel like this! We had dinner at Smyth before going to see "Wicked" (which was absolutely awesome) and dinner was a wonderful experience! I had scallops that were so delicious, and a Wisconsin Beer Cheese soup that was to die for. We got big loaves of warm sourdough bread too. Our waitress was excellent, she had an accent, and I did'nt get her name. Only con I could say is that it would have been nice if they had like a continental breakfast in the morning, as all the hotels in the same price range downtown have either continental or a hot breakfast with the room rate. The beds were so comfortable, I wish I could have taken it home. A wonderful hotel, would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank pocketmama56
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We spent the weekend at the Iron Horse and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The biker theme wasn't what attracted us; rather, we like to try boutique hotels. The biker aspect was there, to be sure, but wasn't a detraction for those of use who don't own motorcycles. What we liked: Awesome corner room on the 6th floor, great view, H20 + amenities, quick check-in, good service, nice liquor and drink selection in the bar (especially the Ginger Snap martini!). What we didn't like: The shower and lack of attention to detail by housekeeping. First, the shower: It had a rainfall shower head, which was cool, but it took forever to rinse off. To rinse shampoo out of your hair, you had to use the handheld shower wand while standing under the shower head. Since this was a leisure trip, we had time available so it's not like this ruined our stay, but it only seems fair to mention it (and the funny thing is that, as we were packing up to leave, we came across a previous guest's comment card that commented on the same issue). Second, our room was clean but housekeeping missed a few details. When we arrived, we found a little sign stating that, although most people love the train outside the building, ear plugs are provided if you don't like it. But there weren't any earplugs. With the white noise app playing on the iPhone, we were ok, but you definitely can hear and feel the train. Ear plugs would be a nice option. Also, when we used our coffee cups and shower gel, housekeeping didn't replace them. Again, this is not enough for me to complain about the hotel, but when everything else is done so well, it's odd to have those details missed. (I mean, you aren't surprised when you have a bath towel with hole in it at the Super 8, but it's not expected at the Iron Horse).
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. The location is interesting - lots of old warehouse space - and it would be great to see the neighborhood developed like the Third Ward (which is within walking distance). We look forward to checking out The Iron Horse again.

Reviewed July 21, 2010

My husband and I traveled by motorcycle from Iowa to Wisconsin for leisure and to tour the Harley Davidson Museum. The Iron Horse Hotel is only a two minute ride from the museum. It is a beautiful hotel with lots of special features. Our room was ready at the 3 p.m. check-in time. It was spacious, comfortable, and nice ammenities including H2O toiletries. The hotel provides covered parking for motorcycles and has special packages for cyclists, but we opted for a king room only. Staff were friendly, the hotel was very clean and trendy. The room had a good variety of liquor (Patron), drinks and snack items, but I missed not having normal desk accessories like pen and paper. We didn't eat at the hotel's restaurants, but did enjoy a cocktail in the outdoor lounge, The Yard, which was absolutely beautiful at night with fire pits set into boulders and a view of the 6th St. Bridge. I ordered a breakfast to go of cinnamon rolls and a bagel with cream cheese. I didn't know until we were on the road that the server did not include a knife for the cream cheese or napkins, so a little hard to spread the cream cheese. At $4 a shot, would have been nice to include these items. By the time taxes, etc. were added to the room charge, it was a little steep, but worth it to be close to the museum as it sits just on the fringe of what appears to be a shady part of town. The Iron Horse is worth a visit if you are in Milwaukee and visiting the H-D Museum.