“Great hotel for bikers, close to Harley Davidson Museum” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Iowa
“Great hotel for bikers, close to Harley Davidson Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

My husband and I traveled by motorcycle from Iowa to Wisconsin for leisure and to tour the Harley Davidson Museum. The Iron Horse Hotel is only a two minute ride from the museum. It is a beautiful hotel with lots of special features. Our room was ready at the 3 p.m. check-in time. It was spacious, comfortable, and nice ammenities including H2O toiletries. The hotel provides covered parking for motorcycles and has special packages for cyclists, but we opted for a king room only. Staff were friendly, the hotel was very clean and trendy. The room had a good variety of liquor (Patron), drinks and snack items, but I missed not having normal desk accessories like pen and paper. We didn't eat at the hotel's restaurants, but did enjoy a cocktail in the outdoor lounge, The Yard, which was absolutely beautiful at night with fire pits set into boulders and a view of the 6th St. Bridge. I ordered a breakfast to go of cinnamon rolls and a bagel with cream cheese. I didn't know until we were on the road that the server did not include a knife for the cream cheese or napkins, so a little hard to spread the cream cheese. At $4 a shot, would have been nice to include these items. By the time taxes, etc. were added to the room charge, it was a little steep, but worth it to be close to the museum as it sits just on the fringe of what appears to be a shady part of town. The Iron Horse is worth a visit if you are in Milwaukee and visiting the H-D Museum.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed at the Iron Horse for one night when my 3 friends and I decided to take a trip up North (from Chicago) to Milwaukee to see Aziz Ansari perform. At first from the outside the hotel seemed unassuming ,but at first look through the glass doors I could tell that it was going to be a pretty posh place (as the pictures from the website suggested). The man who was working the reception/check-in desk was awesome! He was super friendly, helpful and genuinely seemed interested in our reason for travel as well with helping us with whatever we needed. It didn't hurt that as soon as we stepped to the desk we were given complimentary cocktails!!
The room itself was really great as well! The beds were comfortable, the place was spotless, it was upscale without being stuffy and the shower/bathroom was AMAZING! Everything modern with an artistic touch and high end finishes.
We visited the bar (branded) for cocktails and appetizers before heading out to the show. The food was really good (especially for bar food). I was surprised at how good the mussels were (it was enough for a full meal for 1 person) and also the kobe/crab sliders - If I had $32 to drop on a burger I probably would have gotten the full portion.
They also have this gorgeous outdoor patio but unfortunately the weather was poor and we were unable to enjoy.
This is a definitely must stay while in Milwaukee!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

From the valet parking (pretty much required and $25/night) to the maids we encountered, everybody was extremely friendly and made us feel genuinely welcomed. Our third floor room overlooked a railroad track, but I barely heard the trains most of the time (earplugs were provided but I didn't use them). The room had a huge wall of windows, so lots of natural light. There were easily accesible outlets all over room. The bathroom featured a shower with floor to ceiling translucent glass panels and a "rain" showerhead. We had pre-dinner drinks in the Branded bar (inside bar) and later on in the evening we stopped at the Yard bar (outdoor - with comfy couches) for a nightcap. Both bars were cool with a wide selection of beers, reasonable priced wines by the glass, and hard liquors. Had breakfast in the Library - I thought my omelette was great, hubby said his was overcooked. Did not try the main restaurant. Within easy walking distance of the Harley museum - across the bridge and decent walking distance to the Third Ward area - bars/shops/bistros, etc. Would definately consider staying here again if I'm ever back in Milwaukee.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Absolute 1st class service...as good as any 5 star hotel I've stayed at. The rooms were large, very clean (fantastic bed), immaculate bathroom and really interesting decor. I generally don't get too worked up about a hotel, but this place was great. It's set in a really cool old building, but the inside is brand new. I get the feeling the people who work there really care about doing a good job and providing excellent, friendly service. The bed was incredibly comfortable, I have to call them back and find out what mattresses they use so I can buy one for my bed at home. There's a young, cool vibe at the bar and restaurants (outdoor and indoor) without any pretension. I went on business but took my wife. She loved it too. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Denver, colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

This hotel has character! The interior lobby and the rooms are very well designed and unique. Highly recommend this hotel. The outside bar is a great place to meet friends for a drink.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

I just arrived and I am blown away by the urban-chic atmosphere. Cool lobby, and cool rooms.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
No California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

We spent five nights at the Iron Horse Hotel. It was my second visit in less than a year. This time I brought the family. The hotel has a chic upscale vibe that everyone loved. The hotel staff is friendly, helpful and very service oriented. When our TV did not work, they immediately sent someone up to fix it. After acknowledging that it would require the on demand movie supplier to address the problem they comped us breakfast. Not a bad trade off.

The Library where breakfast is served offers books and games that the kids enjoyed. The Harley Museum next door offers a great diversion for the whole family, as does seeing a Brewer game just 5 minutes away at Miller Park. During the summer having dinner or lunch outside at The Yard is the perfect spot to people watch and get some sun.

This hotel beats the chain hotels and offers a welcome change from the Pfister, one of the few top rated hotels in Milwaukee.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family