“Unique, Casual, yet classy!”
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed May 21, 2009

Went to Milwaukee early for a meeting & met up with a good friend for a girls-night out. Location was close to a Mexican area with several restaurants nearby. Not necessarily walking distance to downtown--especially in cold weather. Very fun, casual atmosphere. No breakfast included. Also, there was no full length mirror in the room. You could hear the train at night, but was not enough to be a annoying.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed May 21, 2009

We were amazed by the attention to detail and the decor-but we arrived on a Friday night and the lobby was one big party. We escaped to a 5th floor room which was fortunately very quiet.
The "iron horse" theme was entertaining. It pertains to the trains and the motorcycles.
I was a bit taken aback at first at all the larger than life pictures of Milwaukee women (very seductively portrayed). Once I understood the story behind it, I was more at ease but I still found it a bit strange to have a gorgeous woman staring at us from the walls of the room.
The room was otherwise very upscale and we loved the bathroom also. The renovation was very well done and everything is meticulously thought out. The breakfast in the Library was fun although when families with children arrived it was chaotic due to the noise level and group tables.
All in all, it was fun and we enjoyed the experience for a short stay.

Reviewed May 20, 2009

We hosted a small gathering in the library last week and the staff were very accommodating on the menu selection and the service was top notch--professional, friendly and fun.
Thank you.
Julia Taylor
President
Greater Milwaukee Committee

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2009

Iron Horse Hotel is perhaps the most exciting new destination place in Milwaukee. From the moment I walked into the lobby I was impressed. Everything from the architecture to the decoration was well thought out and laid out perfectly. Very few places can put together an environment where a person can feel comfortable in a shirt and jeans or a sport coat.

Where the Iron Horse Hotel really shines is in their service. What was quite apparent to our group throughout the evening was the enthusiasm of the entire staff. They are obviously proud of their work and proud to be a part of Milwaukee's newest landmark and strive to make a difference in your experience. Everyone was helpful and pleasant the entire evening. We had a party of 12 for dinner at Smyth, had flawless service and a wonderful meal. Not one person had anything less to say than "amazing!" when describing their individual dishes. The staff's attention to detail is unmatched at the finest of establishments here in Milwaukee.

I am in the process of booking my next group outing with them again and am looking forward to returning to the Iron Horse Hotel and Smyth.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I recently visited Milwaukee for a wedding and was told to stay at The Iron Horse hotel. I am so glad that I did. From the moment we arrived, my family and I were treated with the best service I have ever received at a hotel. While I was checking in the manager introduced himself to me and also let me know that a pack-n-play has been setup in our room for our 5 month old little girl. The entire staff is so friendly and helpful, no request was too big or to small. The staff is very personable and very likable. The rooms are very big and extremely comfortable. We had a great view of a bridge on 6th that my son liked to look at while sitting drinking his coco in the morning. The giant rain shower was also very nice. I wish that I had one at home. As for the food, they hit the mark once again! When we arrived to the hotel after a long day of traveling, I was sad that the restaurunt was already closed for the night. However the bar was still opened (and packed). While I was checking in a staff member sat my family down in the lobby at a table and chairs and help us in placing order for food and drinks from the bar. By the time I was done checking in my son had a glass of milk, my wife had a drink and I a beer waiting for me and the food was on the way! While we were relaxing in the lobby eating dinner a staff member took all of our luggage up to our room.

If I am ever in Milwaukee again, The Iron Horse Hotel is the only place I will stay at!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2009

As it stands right now, it's just nice. My SO and I stayed at the Iron Horse for a weekend getaway. I hadn't visited Milwaukee in a few years, saw the lovely rooms at the Iron Horse and knew it would be a great place to stay. When I booked the room, I specified in the comments that I required a very quiet room. I live in a big city, and quite frankly, I do not want to hear any noise when I'm staying at a hotel. Because I brought my dog along, I was placed on the second floor which normally would be fine. However, on Friday and Saturday nights, there's a DJ spinning in the lobby. (Be forewarned, it's a bit of a scene on the weekends. I don't think I saw any shiny shirts though!) The second floor rooms open up onto the lobby atrium. This absolutely would not work for me. The room was changed and we eventually checked in. I specified a king size bed in my reservation and was given a room with two queen sized beds. I didn't feel like changing rooms so I didn't say anything. The rooms are AMAZING. They are swanky, nice, luxurious and all around fabulous. Our bathroom had a jacuzzi tub, a rain shower, deluxe toiletries from H2O and fluffy towels/robes. The beds were very comfortable. The room was very well decorated. I could have hibernated there for at least a month. The hotels are some of the nicest I've ever seen and completely unexpected in Milwaukee.

Why three stars? Well, there are a few reasons - 1. The staff seems a bit friendly fake at times. I don't need to be greeted all the time. In fact, I don't want to be greeted all the time. I'm just a regular person who enjoys privacy and being anonymous. I know they are just trying to be nice but it comes off as a bit ridiculous and phony at times. 2. The pet fee is $50. Considering that we received absolutely nothing for that $50, I think it's a bit steep. Other hotels (like the Kimpton chain) provide an in room dog bed, dog treats, directions for walks, etc. for their guests who bring pets. At the very least, I could have used someone saying, "Hey, there's a cute neighborhood just west of the hotel. It would be a nice walk for your dog." I travel with my dog frequently, and those tiny touches make a big difference. 3. If my reservation says a king bed in a very quiet room, that's what should be there for me when I check in. I don't feel like I should have to go over my reservation with the front desk attendant. 4. Housekeeping after our first night was lax. I expected the room to be thoroughly cleaned and vacuumed. The beds were made and that was it.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Iron Horse. The rooms were nearly perfect. The hotel itself feels fresh, clean and swanky. The little things at the front desk need improvement and I sincerely wish the staff would back off a bit with the over the top smiles and friendliness. I know they are all nice people (at least I felt that way), and I know they are probably forced to act so nice. But really, it's not necessary. It's even a bit uncomfortable at times. I would definitely recommend staying here, especially if you're looking for a romantic getaway or someplace fun to stay in Milwaukee.

By the way, there's really no need to pay $26 a night for valet parking. I was able to parking on the side streets without any trouble. You do have to call the City of Milwaukee for parking permission but it is a free and easy call.

4  Thank Denver_Dog
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I had been to the Iron Horse bar several times and had attended a few functions over the past 6 months or so. So, I decided to stage a romantic evening as a surprise for my "interest".

The room was spacious and very well put together. Luxurious, but with enough masculine flair so as not to be frilly or overdone. We really enjoyed our time in the loft-style atmosphere with super-high ceilings, exposed brick and duct work, and huge windows looking out over the city.

small touches like dimmers on all of the fixtures, the "rain" shower head, Iron Horse Champagne available in the minibar really put them over the top for us.

Overall, a great place to stay whether for business or pleasure -- a romantic getaway to take that "special someone".