WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Milwaukee
Santa Barbara, California
“Very nice rooms - dangerous bed corners.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is close to the Harley Davidson museum and not much else. It isn't in the greatest location and there is no taxi stand nearby although they respond pretty quickly to a call from the front desk.

The Hotel is cozy and what little food I ate here was very good. Rates were inflated at over $350 per night with a four night minimum stay required due to a large conference in town. This rate was higher than the hotel deserved.

My room was large and comfortable and at normal rates I would stay here again but two complaints: despite leaving a tip on the first day for housekeeping, we had the same dirty glass (tomato ketchup (?) on the inside) for all three days and the second glass was replaced after use without even rinsing it out - two days in a row. Sloppy housekeeping. The second issue is the bed base - the corners are black and protrude into the room and both my companion and I repeatedly banged them with our ankles. Not a good design.

Gym on the fourth floor is small but well equipped. There is a restaurant as well as both an indoor hotel bar and large, pleasant outdoor Yard area.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Yelbid-

Thank you for taking the time to review the Iron Horse Hotel. I am proud to see that you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us. I apologize for the shortcoming that you experienced with housekeeping, I will address this issue with the team to ensure nothing like this happens again in the future. Please contact me directly to discuss the issue further, or if there is anything at all I can assist you with in the future.

Best Regards,

brisseeuw@theironhorsehotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Belize City, Belize, Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Iron Horse is a very Hip Urban Boutique Hotel. I was very impressed. I was expecting "standard" boutique hotel, but we got so much more. Valet parking was a breeze. Check in was simple. The staff had a "hip vibe" to them and they even offered us a cocktail. We stayed in a corner view city suite. I wish a had a better word than "hip", but it was very cool with exposed cream city brick, wood beams, exposed spiral duct work. The bathroom was very classically hip (if I had to give a complaint, it would be that there was a rain showerhead and a hand spray, but not a normal showerhead). My wife got a kick out of the "mini-bar" selections like a canister of pure oxygen, "I have a headache" pills etc. I also set up the add on for four Milwaukee Beers and the cheese popcorn. Nicely presented. In the morning, my wife said "I LOVE this bed", she has not said that since being at the Wynn in LV. The furnishings in the room and a whole wall portrait art were really well presented.

We did not have a dog, but the place is dog friendly and my wife liked to say "hi" to the dogs in the incredible outdoor bar area. The outdoor bar area would be reason enough to go to the place, even if we did not love the rest of the hotel. The indoor bar was cool also. We walked to Great Lakes Distillery and enjoyed our time there. Cabs were easy to get for the rest. In past trips to Milwaukee, We have stayed at Hotel Metro (which is great), but there is something about the Iron Horse Hotel that tells me we will be back soon............

Rooms
1 Thank Chad K
Dear Chad K-

Welcome to Milwaukee and I am glad that you were able to stay with us. I will make sure to share your comments with the team and let them know they were "hip" throughout your visit. I am proud to see that you and your wife were comfortable while you were here. We will be looking forward to your next visit with us and please let me know if there is anything at all I can do to help with that next reservation.

Cheers!

Peterborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Liked the first night so much, we stayed a second night. It's a five minute walk to the Harley Davidson Museum (the purpose of our visit to Milwaukee) and a 2 minute cab ride to either the casino or the Third Ward for shopping/restaurants.

For those of you on a motorcycle, they have "sheltered" parking in front of the hotel (no need to worry about your bike) and a bike wash station right there where your bike is parked.

Dear Ralph A-

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is great that you were able to extend your stay at the hotel for an extra night. We do our best to make sure things are convenient for riders and I am glad that you found these amenities useful. We will be hoping to see you soon.

Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

I stayed at the Iron Horse while in town for a family wedding and it is a huge cut above as far as hotels go. The building itself if historical and modern at the same time and full of great artifacts. The staff was great, too. We were greeted with a refreshing cocktail and used their courtesy car one night which is a great perk. The room was amazing, too. Large, very comfortable, spacious bathroom, wonderful views and all the high end amenities. It is within walking distance to a great coffee shop, The Third Ward, museums, the river, etc. Great location and fun boutique hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
Dear Ann C-

Thank you for visiting the Iron Horse and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I hope that everything went well with the family wedding. I am very proud to see that you had a positive experience with us, and I hope that you find some time to visit us again. Please let me know if there is anything at all I can assist with in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

My husband and I went to the Iron Horse for a quick weekend getaway for our first anniversary. I could not have asked for anything more. The staff is welcoming, friendly and helpful. They greet you with a signature cocktail that is delicious (who can complain about that) and the lobby is full of fun artifacts. Great place to hang out. The Corner suite was gorgeous and spotless! The bed was super comfortable. My Husband and I agree that this was by far the nicest hotel room in which we have stayed.

The whole hotel has a sheek historic boutique feel. We ate at the Yard, the hotel's outside bar/ restaurant and the food was fantastic.Wait staff was friendly and helpful in finding local attractions. The hotel is close to restaurants, bars, parks and downtown Milwaukee. Great location!

After our stay, I realized I had left my favorite dress behind in our room. I was devastated! I called the hotel and not only did they find it, they shipped it back to me via FedEx!

We absolutely loved this hotel and would definitely recommend it!!

Dear Nikki W-

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for choosing to spend it with us at the Iron Horse Hotel. I am proud that our team was able to make your experience a positive one. It is great news about finding the dress and being able to get it returned to you so quickly. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with and we hope to see you again.

Best Regards,

Highwood, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

I mean, what can you not say about this place? It is really the only place to stay in Milwaukee if you want a hip, vibrant, and upscale stay.

The rooms are spacious, well kept, and they have kept the architecture from the old warehouse that the building was renovated from originally. Exposed beams, brick walls....cool stuff.

The only drawback is that they know they have the best place in Milwaukee....and they price it as such.

Room Tip: Grab one of the corner suites....lots of room, lots of windows...great space to be leisurely.