“Wonderful!”

The Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Jake Schneider really made our stay memorable from the moment we arrived until we left. The food was to die for and the atmosphere of the hotel was so energetic. Our room was amazing, to say the least, and we couldn't have done it without him since he took care of us so well!

• Stayed: February 2014
Ben R, Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear may_bec,

Happy Friday! Thank you for sharing your review with us. I will make sure that Jake knows that his service went a long way in making your stay memorable. I am also very happy to see that you had a positive dining experience at the Iron Horse. Please let me know if there is ever anything we can assist with in the future.

Until Next Time!!

brisseeuw@theironhorsehotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,770)

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed at the Iron Horse for 1 night while in town on business. The location wasn't exactly central but easily accessible to downtown. Beautifully renovated building with a ton of character and vintage decor. My room was really big and loved the granite bar and desk. Mini-bar was stocked with anything you could want. I like the small touches of aspirin for hangovers and ear plugs in case the train were to come by during your sleep. Free wifi is a plus.
I didn't eat at the hotel but the bar had some great signature drinks and solid wine list. Bartenders especially friendly too. I also love when hotels display different types of artwork for sale and the Iron Horse featured some really interesting pieces.
My only criticism is the parking situation. I do think the hotel needs to determine a second option for parking besides neighborhood/street parking on your own if you don't want to pay the $30.00 valet fee. The location is a little more up and coming, so we didn't feel incredibly comfortable parking on our own somewhere nearby.
Overall this is a great choice in Milwaukee if you like boutique hotels and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with someone other than your significant other, know that the King rooms includ...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear tripchick99-

I know there are many options when you travel and I would like to first thank you for choosing the Iron Horse Hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the small touches of the hotel like the mini bar and the free Wi-Fi. I hope that you able to dine with us during your next trip as I am sure you would really enjoy our outlets. The art work at our property is always changing and different local artist are featured. I am glad you enjoyed the work of some of Milwaukee’s finest artist. This spring there will be a parking structure going up right next to the hotel. We are hoping that this will help calm some of our guest concerns about our current parking situation. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in the future and I hope to see you at the hotel again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Fourth time here for a one night getaway. Always impeccable service and atmosphere. Love love love this hotel. It is so different from your everyday overnight accommodations. Worth the extra couple of bucks, always feels like a mini vacation! Tried Smythe this visit for dinner and brunch, wow. Again, worth the extra couple of bucks. Will go back again in a few months.

Dear NoreenMike-

Thank you for your loyalty to the Iron Horse Hotel. I am very proud to see that you have enjoyed repeated experiences to our hotel. I will be sure to share your kind words with our team. Smyth has been a major focus and I am glad you were able to enjoy the results. Brunch is gaining more and more popularity as our guest and locals experience the changes that have been made. I look forward to seeing you again in a couple of months, and I please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Cheers!!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

On a whim we chose to stay at the Iron Horse Hotel, it was close to a bike show we were attending; that was one of the best decisions we ever made! The hotel was beautiful, the staff was very friendly, informative and accommodating. The room was more than we expected, the beds were the most comfortable my husband and I have ever slept on, plenty of room to move around and quiet. We will stay there again as soon as the opportunity presents itself and I suggest if you are coming to Milwaukee, check out the Iron Horse Hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JeannieJ J
Ben R, Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear JeannieJ J-

I am very glad you were able to stay at the Iron Horse during the Mama Tried Event. It turned out to be a great weekend for everyone involved. I am very pleased to hear that you had a positive experience. It is our goal to exceed the expectations of our guest and to have them leave with a story about the property. We will be looking forward to your next opportunity to stay with us. If there is anything that I can do to assist in the future please let me know.

Cheers!!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We had been to the Iron Horse Hotel on many occasions, especially in the summer months, to dine. Our daughter decided that it would be a great place to have her wedding reception. We contacted the hotel in November 2013 for a March 1 date. From the first meeting with the catering department we knew we had made a good decision. We met with Amy who was just the best wedding planner ever. She heard our desires and gave her suggestions and made it seem like we were talking with an old friend. We had to select food that would work with our gluten intolerant bride and groom (and some guests too) and found it to be an easy request since the chefs cook from scratch and use foods from local vendors. Our "Mix and Mingle" reception was the best.....many good comments from our guests as to not having the usual sit down dinner but tasty Hors d'oeuvres, both hot and cold, so guests could move around and really get to talk with each other. Staying at the hotel was GREAT! Juve, who was supervising the front desk on our visit, made us feel like family coming to visit. My daughter and new son-in-law had a beautiful huge suite and even our standard room was way above the usual "standard" in the hotel business. The beds are comfy and the showers are huge. Great views from any of the windows of the city although the north side of the hotel gives you a great view of the Harley Davidson museum and the Milwaukee skyline. Lots of places to visit with only a short cab ride. The atmosphere is edgy but casual, the food in the restaurants are not the usual fare but again cooked with panache with local ingredients.....they are Branded with "bar" or small plate food and Smyth when you are looking for a bigger meal. Their Sunday Brunch should not be missed! In the summer the place to be is in "The Yard", a great outdoor space that has live music scheduled. You can meet people from all over the US and Europe in the lobby where there is always room to sit and relax and strike up a conversation. I highly recommend staying here while in town!

Room Tip: If you're looking for quiet, book Floor 3 and above since Floor 2 has an open balcony to the lob...
1  Thank Jacquie G

Dear Jacquire G-

Congratulations! I am very happy to hear that the wedding weekend was a success. I am proud to see that Amy and Juve took such great care of you! Making every guest feel as if they are family goes a long way for our customer satisfaction. I loved your "Mix and Mingle" idea and I agree with you that the food and beverage options at our hotel are top of the line. We are very glad to be part of your family’s special day, and we hope that you continue to visit our hotel in years to come. I have a feeling we will see you in a few months when the Yard opens up.

Until Next Time,

Reviewed March 3, 2014

What a classy cool hotel. The decor was amazing. A very different atmosphere than the average hotel. The dining was excellent. They had a great variety of food that tasted wonderful. The staff was great as well. Jake and Juve at the front desk were especially great. They were very personable and really took care of us. The massage therapist were excellent as well. My husband and I stayed for our anniversary and it was fabulous. We will definately stay there again. Highly reccomended!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. They have an awesome view.

Dear Jolie D-

Thank you for your review. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure to share your kind words with Jake, Juve and the massage ladies as they all take a lot of pride in their service. We hope that you are able to return back and visit us again soon, and if there is anything I can do to assist please let me know.

Thanks for choosing the IHH!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Let me start by saying that if this review were based solely on the staff, it would receive 5 stars hands down. I would say the same regarding the decor and hotel itself--the pictures on here and any other site do not do it justice. If you are looking for a unique experience in a boutique style hotel, you will not find a better option in Milwaukee--that being said, there were a couple of things that kept me from giving this hotel 5 stars.

Upon arrival I was given a room on the 2nd floor--as I was unpacking I noticed a couple things that housekeeping did not--unpackaged (possibly used) earplugs in one of the drawers, some snacks left behind on the windowsill, nothing too big until I checked out the bed. There was an unmistakeable puke stain on the far side of the comforter. I called down to the front desk to request a room change and they instantly apologized and accommodated my room change request. In fact I didn't even have to go to the front desk--they brought me new keys to a new room while I was repacking in the 2nd floor room, along with two free drink tickets. The staff member assisting me apologized profusely and assured me that this was not common in their hotel and would not happen again--I'm happy to report that this was the case for the remainder of my stay. Once I was switched to my 5th floor room I would say that the housekeeping was pristine.

My final gripe is regarding the heating system--it worked just fine and my room was always at an appropriate temperature, however the ductwork made very noisy clicks every so often that would wake me out of a dead sleep right around 4 each morning I stayed there. In the hotel's defense, they DO provide each guest with complimentary earplugs due to the proximity to the train so I suppose that I could have avoided this altogether by using those.

Apart from those two minor issues, I would say that this is one of the finer hotels I've ever had the pleasure of staying in. Beds were comfortable, bathrooms were unique and very aesthetically pleasing, and the murals are not to be missed. Also the hotel bar is a fantastic place to have a drink and socialize, there wasn't a single night during my 3 night stay that it wasn't packed--I would attribute this in large part to the wonderful waitstaff and wonderful craft cocktails. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again, the minor issues I experienced could have happened to anyone, any time. In my opinion, it is more important how the hotel responds to the issue than the issues themselves, and in this case the response was first class.

Room Tip: Each room is a little different but the staff is happy to attempt to accommodate requests. For inst...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Ben R, Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear mrbrightside3108-

Thank you for recognizing the unique and local aspects of The Iron Horse Hotel. I’m proud to see you found our team to be responsive to your needs and I couldn’t agree more about our crafted cocktails. We have followed up on the issues you have brought forth and do apologize for the first room you were given. Feedback like yours allows us to remain unique and our goal is to remain one of the “finer hotels” as you so kindly mentioned.

Best Regards,